Singapore GP 2009 - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
djos

Re: Singapore GP 2009

Damn Im annoyed Bazza binned it, Webbo was 1/2 a second up on his previous time with new scrubbed tires and Vettel the same - I reckon it would have been a RB front row with Rosberg and Hamilton behind on row 2.

Btw, how do the rules work for Bazza? I would have thought that because he binned it and red flagged the session that he would automatically go to P10 and then take the GB penalty on top of that for P15 but the charts showed him keeping 5th which = P10 start?
"In downforce we trust"

Ray

I think that Vettel would have pipped Lewis in the end. The red flag really threw a wrench in qualifying, oh well. Hopefully the race tomorrow will be good.

ISLAMATRON

THE BOSS was already faster than Vettel on the 1st Q3 lap(with more fuel), why would that change on the 2nd?

djos

ISLAMATRON wrote:THE BOSS was already faster than Vettel on the 1st Q3 lap(with more fuel), why would that change on the 2nd?
The RB's seemed to be consistently faster in the 3rd sector than Hamilton and neither Webbo or Seb had gone to maximum attack.
"In downforce we trust"

ISLAMATRON

yes, I forgot, they were set on minimum attack :roll:... even if everyone was just putting in a safe lap Lou was still 3 tenths faster, and even if the RBR's were faster in the 3rd sector, Lewis was purple all day long in sectors 1 & 2, and Kovi was pretty damn fast all day too, but he had a terrible first Q3 lap.

Mr Alcatraz

ISLAMATRON wrote:THE BOSS was already faster than Vettel on the 1st Q3 lap(with more fuel), why would that change on the 2nd?
The only reason would be that in your own words Vettel was lighter than "The Boss"
IMHO Vettel's perfect lap on less fuel beats "The Boss'" fastest lap if he's heavier.
Even If it happened "The Boss" would still be in the pound seats from p2 with KERS.
I hope that clears things up! :roll: :mrgreen:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

ISLAMATRON

Tazio wrote:
The only reason would be that in your own words Vettel was lighter than "The Boss"
IMHO Vettel's perfect lap on less fuel beats "The Boss'" fastest lap if he's heavier.
Even If it happened "The Boss" would still be in the pound seats from p2 with KERS.
Clears everything up, like the smoke from a renault engine explosion out the back of Vettel's Red Bull.

Lewis was faster in hot lap 1 of Q3, with more fuel onboard, the would have both burned off the same amount of fuel, and then Lewis would be similarly faster than Vettel on the 2nd Hot lap, But Rubans saved everybody the time of watching Lewis topping the leaderboard twice in Q3.

Mr Alcatraz

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Tazio wrote:
Clears everything up, like the smoke from a renault engine explosion out the back of Vettel's Red Bull.

Lewis was faster in hot lap 1 of Q3, with more fuel onboard, the would have both burned off the same amount of fuel, and then Lewis would be similarly faster than Vettel on the 2nd Hot lap, But Rubans saved everybody the time of watching Lewis topping the leaderboard twice in Q3.
NIMHO :roll: But we will never know!
Are you privy to some info regarding Vettels 1st lap that the rest of us aren't?

ISLAMATRON

Seb's first lap was 3 tenths slower than Lou's... and he had less fuel onboard than Lou(which should have made him faster)... what more info do we need? He didnt have a bad lap, it was 2nd!!!!

Mr Alcatraz

ISLAMATRON wrote:Seb's first lap was 3 tenths slower than Lou's... and he had less fuel onboard than Lou(which should have made him faster)... what more info do we need? He didnt have a bad lap, it was 2nd!!!!
But your assuming it was his best! If you would post a link that Seb says he had a great lap than you are absolutely right.
Please indulge me.
Untill you do it is an opinnion of yours (and maybe many others)
However your arguement does not present proof of this allegation. It doesn't necessarily follow that because The Boss was .3 faster on his first flyer that he would be faster on his second.
Plus what on gods green earth does it matter now?

Mr Alcatraz

Tazio wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Seb's first lap was 3 tenths slower than Lou's... and he had less fuel onboard than Lou(which should have made him faster)... what more info do we need? He didnt have a bad lap, it was 2nd!!!!
But your assuming it was his best! If you would post a link that Seb says he had a great lap than you are absolutely right.
Please indulge me.
Hold the phone this just in!!! :o :o

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/26092009/ ... reams.html
"Unfortunately, when the red flag came out it was my first run on new tyres," he added. "I had previously been on used tyres so my flying lap wasn't as relaxed as it might have been. But at the end of the day it's great to be qualifying near the front again."
Then there is Christian Horners two cents
Team boss Christian Horner said Mark Webber, ultimately fourth on the grid, was also on a quick lap when the Barrichello incident halted the crucial moments of qualifying. "Both our guys were on really strong laps and we felt we could lock out the front row today," he said.

Horner told Italian television that he thinks Vettel's pole margin over Hamilton would have been at least two-tenths
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/26092009/ ... flags.html
So I've produced two link inwhich Vet. and Chris say It was not his best.
Of course they could be blowing "Renault engine smoke". I think I'll take it at face value.
After all it dosen't change the fact that he is where he is!
In case your wondering I'm not a fan of his. In fact I have a bet against him. over a slightly different matter!

axle
axle

Got to love the fanboism...
The order is set and maybe if vettel had had 2 new sets of tyres like Lewis did he'd have done better in his significantly lighter car....but who cares about whatifs?
From what I've read it was Rosberg that was about to set the track on fire but the fanbois are neatly ignoring him.
The order is set, let's just get on with it.

As for stupid comments about wanting RB penalised for crashing (and thus ruining your particular driving gods lap), that is just retarded! Smashing into the wall in a high speed section is hardly going to be a good thing for RB as the next time he drives his rebuilt car will be on the formation lap and if anything is wrong with it he's screwed. He's punished himself enough to want more is unsporting when he had an ACCIDENT.
- Axle

djos

axle wrote: As for stupid comments about wanting RB penalised for crashing (and thus ruining your particular driving gods lap), that is just retarded! Smashing into the wall in a high speed section is hardly going to be a good thing for RB as the next time he drives his rebuilt car will be on the formation lap and if anything is wrong with it he's screwed. He's punished himself enough to want more is unsporting when he had an ACCIDENT.
Now hang on just a second, it's all about he other drivers having their laps ruined, not RB (his crash, his problem!)!

In V8 SuperCars if you --- up and red flag the qualifying session in Q3 it's to the back of the section for you and if there is say 10mins left your out even if your car is undamaged and you just beeched it in a sand trap. imo that's entirely justified.
"In downforce we trust"

bjpower
bjpower

chello did nothing wrong. he had an accident. and if it was normal track the qualli could have continued. punishing him is pointless

axle
axle

djos wrote:
axle wrote: As for stupid comments about wanting RB penalised for crashing (and thus ruining your particular driving gods lap), that is just retarded! Smashing into the wall in a high speed section is hardly going to be a good thing for RB as the next time he drives his rebuilt car will be on the formation lap and if anything is wrong with it he's screwed. He's punished himself enough to want more is unsporting when he had an ACCIDENT.
Now hang on just a second, it's all about he other drivers having their laps ruined, not RB (his crash, his problem!)!

In V8 SuperCars if you --- up and red flag the qualifying session in Q3 it's to the back of the section for you and if there is say 10mins left your out even if your car is undamaged and you just beeched it in a sand trap. imo that's entirely justified.
Maybe the V8 series has to deal with more unscrupulous drivers ;)

If F1, other drivers know that anything can happen - torrential rain, crashes etc... they should have done what Lewis did, an excellent lap earlier in Q1/Q2 so that he saved a set of tyres. Then like him they would have had 2 sets of new SSofts ready and wouldn't have to do a banker on used ones. Lewis used new tyres to ram home his advantage in the first run in Q3.

They assumed, wrongly, that everything would go perfectly...as soon as you assume in F1 you're going to lose. Sh1t happens, especially on street circuits with monster bumps. I doubt you'd be crying so much if Vettel or Webber had binned it instead of Rubens.

If you start penalising drivers further you'll find they don't try as hard for fear of getting hit by the stewards. You have to let them fight or there is no point.
- Axle