Singapore GP 2009 - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mr Alcatraz

Re: Singapore GP 2009

Even If Vettel got Pole he would still be dead in the water.. his car would be ~650 and Hamilton would be about 659 (assuming they were running full steam about 3/4 lap and 1/2 a lap on the final run).

That's KERS launch + clean side of the track + 4 laps out on Vettel.

Vettel has to fight for 2nd place against Rosberg, Webber, Glock and Alonso today. I predict 4th for him... Just because he can't fight as good as the other guys around him.
I believe I pointed that out in an earlier post on this thread :roll:

Props to Lewis He was the class of the field, and appeared to win effortlessly!

Buttons strategy really worked for him as I believe he got max points given the situation!
I'm glad Suzuka only one week away. It will be nice to see a race on a proper track!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

pjobmathew

man im soooooo sad for rosberg .
great drives from hamilton and alonso . =D>
vettel luckily hung on . great to see button and barichello going all out against each other .

The_Man
The_Man

I've just got a brilliant idea of how to increase overtaking in Formula One!

BAN SINGAPORE!

Really really dull race was really hoping someone would crash and make things exciting. Thanks Sutil. It is totally not his fault so many people stuck behind the Toro Rosso and one fellow tries to overtake and see what happens.

I think the high point of the race was Luzzi's overtaking attemp on the Ferrari.
IIT Bombay Racing
Vehicle Dynamics FSAE 08; FS 09

ISLAMATRON

I think Singapore can be easily changed to improve the racing.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5974&hilit=+marina+bay

StrFerrari4Ever

That looks interesting ISLAMATRON but I generally feel the track is way too long and doesn't have any inviting overtaking zones.
Hopefully FOTA hears the fans and suggests it to the higher powers in F1 to try and get the organisers to alter the circuit a bit to create greater racing.

The Local Ride

Great race, feel bad for Rosberg, either way, BUTTON IS NOT A VALID CHAMPION. Joke of a racer. all he proves is nothing on the requirments.

PlatinumZealot

I liked it.. I think it's one of the better looking tracks.. The sparks, the dust, the bumps, exhuast flames, street traffic over the track.. It has the most eye candy for sure.

I think the overtaking was just as much as any other track, maybe they need to use more lanes in the turns, make then wider to improve overtaking.
The Local Ride wrote:Great race, feel bad for Rosberg, either way, BUTTON IS NOT A VALID CHAMPION. Joke of a racer. all he proves is nothing on the requirments.
Yup.. but everybody has to get their share of bad luck.. I wanted to see him on the podium too.

Button? I don't know..he may not be extremely good but he did a great job today; he did what he had to do.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

vasia
vasia

Great race! Good job by Hamilton and Glock, also good effort from Alonso.

Yes you feel bad for Rosberg, but a mistake is a mistake.

Toro Rosso was a circus as usual. They had an absolute joke of a race, and I don't expect them to ever win a race on merit again unless they get a world class driver like Vettel in the car, and also get a bit of luck to help. Both Toro Rossos retired with various problems.

Red Bull also had a rough race, Vettel should be thankful he made it to the end with a damaged car.
modbaraban wrote:What a dull race. The novelty of night racing wore off quite quickly. Other than that, the track is can either host a circus or a parade like this year. Singapore is useless without Piquet.
Dull race? Yeah, it sure is dull seeing cars fly at at narrow street circuit at night with sparks flying off the cars every few seconds. Since last year, Singapore was, is, and will continue to be one of the more exciting races.
ISLAMATRON wrote:THE BOSS takes in all actuality his 2ND Singapore GP win... Great job.

Glock also with a great job and some good luck(Webber slowed down Alonso for Glock to pass), inherited positions from Rosberg & Vettel errors.

Sutil with a terrible mistake, should definitely be penalized for that one.

Notice how Webber had to give back the positions gained from passing off the track, But yet Kimi had to do no such thing... the stewards at SPA are just horrible, destroyed the race 2 years in a row.
Webber was too slow in the race and had brake problems anyways. Glock would have passed him fairly easily. Glock was also faster in the race than Alonso, and would have passed him as well.

ISLAMATRON

vasia wrote:Webber was too slow in the race and had brake problems anyways. Glock would have passed him fairly easily. Glock was also faster in the race than Alonso, and would have passed him as well.
MAybe he was too slow because of the brake problems... and maybe they overheated because he was stuck behind Glock & Alonso... where he should have been after passing off track on the first lap.

I'm glad he was told to give back the positions, and also glad that he was not penalised with a drive thru for it.

Webbo's black cloud has come back over him.

roost89
roost89

Racer of the day, for me, Glock. He drove an almost silent race.

Otherwise, I'm quite peeved with this race-track. It doesn't lend itself to racing very much, it can make for close racing but not exciting with the opportunity to overtake. The first lap or so was good and after the safety-car (I don't recall their being a second one but on TV it's claimed there was) as the cars were close enough to attempt moves.

I think the race would've been more interesting if Nico and Seb didn't get their drive-through penalties.

Also, what was all that dust made of? It looked awful.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Mr Alcatraz

roost89 wrote: Also, what was all that dust made of? It looked awful.
During qualifying one of the commentators said it was from a construction site,
that was doing ongoing work during that session :?:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

ISLAMATRON

Alonso dedicates the podium finish to Flav... so thats 2 inspirational Singapore Podiums for Flav in a row :wink:

lewis all the way
lewis all the way

has anyone read the documentation on the fia site yet?

adrian sutil // reprimanded and a €20 000 fine.

seb vettle // speeding in pit lane, he was doing 101.4 ??? bit harsh really

glad hamilton won though, and even when vettle was hussling him, he looked like he had more and was just nursing the tyres. lets see what he can do for the last races.

i like button, but do feel someone should have punished him for the many mistakes he has made this season.

last 2 seasons, 1 mistake has made the difference, it seems button can make one every other race weekend and nobody capitalises?

hes a good driver, but i feel hes not quite a champion yet. if mclaren/ferrari/renault were within 2/3tenths from the start of the season, the drivers championship would be very different, regardless of brawns pace

noname
noname

lewis all the way wrote:if mclaren/ferrari/renault were within 2/3tenths from the start of the season, the drivers championship would be very different, regardless of brawns pace
but they were not.

you can not blame Button for those teams starting the season unprepared.

ringo

Vettel continues to show his weaknesses. He has raw pace but sometimes i wonder how he deals with chasing down for a position and getting a good start.
After he damaged that diffuser; that's when i knew he was unsettled. He can't take the pressure.
Trying to keep up to Lewis, when Lewis was just toying with him. 8)
Well that dispels any concerns over who was faster today. We got our Vettel hamilton showdown and Hamilton had total control of Vettel and only pushed when the gap fell bellow 0.7s and he was heavier in a lesser car.
Good race though but i wanted to see a 3 way battle with Rosberg in the mix.
For Sure!!