Oils...

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Belatti
Belatti

Oils...

Hi, I would like to gather information and experiences here, about oils for streetcars.

Any experience, weird or not may be posted.

Right now I am using a 15W-40 semi-synthetic multigrade oil in my Audi 1.8T 20v engine.

What do you think about changing that to this:
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/castrol/ ... 10W-60.pdf
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Scotracer
Scotracer

Re: Oils...

10w-40 or 15w-40 Semi-synth or full Synth is what I'd suggest for that engine. That's what I run in my ITR and that needs to rev to 9000rpm...
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

High or low mileage?

Daily driven or not?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ISLAMATRON

semi syth is a waste, go fully synth of get the cheap stuff and change more often

For winter you might want a thinner oil maybe 10-30/40 or even 5-30(or 0-30). Summer, depending on the heat 15-40 should do you well... the best bet is to check your owners manual, especially with cars made by ZEE Germans.

I stick with Mobil 1 and use their oil filters too, for easily driven cars I leave it in for 10 to 15K MILES.

10-60, seems excessive, but it might be some new next isht... I hear that oils with a big range of viscosity like 10-40 and now 10-60 leave alot of ash behind when burnt, not sure how accurate that is, still researching it.

Castrol Edge is making some big claims in their advertising here in the states, but I dont have any experience with them...

But maybe you should start thinking with your Dipstick Jimmy.

Ted68

Anna-Lynda just bought a 2009 VW Beetle Cabrio with essentially the same engine--2.0/20V. Right on the oil cap it says 5W/30. She ran her 2004 Beetle Cabrio 2.0/20V 120,000 miles with absolutelty no problems on Mobil 1 which she religiously changed at 6000 miles with a VW filter done at the dealer.

I inherited a 1998 GMC truck with a 5.7 V8 from my father that had Mobil 1 from new. At 233,000 miles I had the oil pan gasket changed and the bottom end checked out almost as new. Dad changed the oil himself at around 7500 miles with a Fram filter.

My 2001 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 runs Mobil 1/Fram as well at every 7500 (sometimes 10,000!) miles and is nearing 180,000 miles and runs like new.

Basically, Mobil 1 is great stuff for water-cooled engines.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

ISLAMATRON

Fram is ---, stay away, far away, especially if running more than 3-4K miles

Ted68

My Dad ran Fram his whole life with no problems. I run them, too. What makes you say they're no good? What brand do you reccomend?
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

ISLAMATRON

I've seen 2 split open from high oil pressure applications, and heard of more... and they dont have alot of filtration material so they clog up faster, so using them with synthetic oil is a waste, unless you change just the filter and not the oil.

I like the Mobil1 filters, but the K&N's have a good rep, as do WIX, and Bosch for Zee german cars.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I use Fram too, but of course we're talking about normal daily drivers. It's paired up with mainly Mobile 1 or either Valvoline 10W-30/40.

Have you guys heard of the 300,000 mile engine guarantee by Valvoline? My dads truck is at 74K miles so it's about 1k short of mileage limit for eligibility. The catch is to only use Valvoline engine oil and they will cover the engine up until 300,000. Although you have to change the oil at every 3,000 miles and keep records with receipt each time.

Sorry about hijacking your thread Belatti. :lol:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ISLAMATRON

I guess the daily drivers I make for some of my customers can be a little extreme.

300K is quite a guarantee, if I had a taxi company I'd be all over it.

xpensive
xpensive

Lubrication, or oilfilm build-up, comes from viscosity and in xtreme cases EP-additives, nothing else.

Synthetic oils, Polyalfaoelefins, have a more favourable Viscosity Index, are more resistant to shear-breakdown and oxidation, and as a consequence gives longer lifespan of the oil itself.
But is a waste of money for my 4.6 V8 which rarely revs above 3k.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

A filter is not just a filter, what is interesting is the Reductionfactor, or "Beta" value of filtration efficiency.
Beta 6 = 200 for xample, means that only one out of 200 particles larger than 6 microns will pass thru the filter.
"Absolute filtration" in microns is a simplified guidance we sometimes use in industrial applications.
For those of you who wants to dig in I recommend this:

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/apti ... 971.521015
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ISLAMATRON

3K? that is pathetic

xpensive
xpensive

ISLAMATRON wrote:3K? that is pathetic
And good morning to you as well, you contribution to this forum is priceless as usual.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Fram filters are definitely not the best.

I asked about oil choice for race applications a while ago, talking with one of the engineers at Shell with their motorsports program. The Quaker State line-up are pretty legit as far as oils go.

Talked to him about race fuels as well.. interesting stuff. I'll have to see if I can dig up my notes from that.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

ISLAMATRON

your feelings hurt? ship it to my shop, we can get it running better for you