Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

If a car is built for the multiple deck diffusers we could see alot of ideas, the diffusers will become really complex items, more then they became this year. If im correct the second deck can be unlimited width, so they can make it really wide. What will certainly be taken in consideration is a low Cg, especially the rear, wich probably has to be designed with a low gearbox placement and anough room to fit a huge MDD. we are certainly possible to see cars with 4 or more decks next year if incorporated in certain way.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ISLAMATRON

axle wrote:Yes but don't forget the BGP01 wasn't optomised either. They had to literally chop the chassis to fit the engine in and it was never sorted during the season as the tubs cost too much. So, the car was always compromised. So whilst others caught up and optomised their packages Brawn were always slightly lame.
Very true, but we also know that the cg of all the engines is standerdized by the rules, as are many other of the engine's design characteristics... while they may not have been able to take full advantage of positioning the Merc, they got better power & aero/cooling & drivablity out of it then they would have out of the Honda unit... I would call it a push.... but no doubt they will get some more performance out of that area next year.
vasia wrote:Toyota tested a triple-deck diffuser design earlier in the season.

I think some of you are reading too much into this. It might be an "extreme radical" design by McLaren's standards, but it might be really not that spectacular considering some of the diffuser designs seen in testing this year.

To me it seemed like toyota's solution(TDD) was no more than a sectioned off DDD, it did not seem to flow any more air from under the car to the back... whereas the "extreme & radical" measures some teams can employ next year would have the opening run the entire length of the step plane/reference plane transition, from the front of the sidepods all the way to the existing openings... with even more openingd possibly on the top.

They could even make the sidepod inlets smaller and use some of the difffuser air to help in cooling.

Giblet
Giblet

Move to DDD thread.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

bidong
bidong

Question and Opinion away from the DDD or MDD. or whatever.

But does anyone here, like me, want a new livery for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes? The chrome finish has been too old. I think we need a new one. I dont know what. But I think a fresh coat of paint would be massively handsome on the 25.

deus1066
deus1066

bidong wrote:Question and Opinion away from the DDD or MDD. or whatever.

But does anyone here, like me, want a new livery for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes? The chrome finish has been too old. I think we need a new one. I dont know what. But I think a fresh coat of paint would be massively handsome on the 25.

I think the paint scheme is largely title sponser based for Mclaren... like most teams hence the horrendous ING Renault.

They went from Marlboro red and white to silver and black for West with the MP4-12, and then to red and silver for the MP4-21 for one season, and then more red and silver for the MP4-22 with vodafone.

Giblet
Giblet

bidong wrote:Question and Opinion away from the DDD or MDD. or whatever.

The chrome is actually the branding for Mercedes. It will go when/if Merc goes. It's actually 'silver', to brand the Silver Arrows. The grey color was brought in with the West sponsorship, and eveolved to silver.

Santander is leaving to Ferrari, so their livery will change somewhat.

Myself, I really liked the original Mclaren Orange test cars. But for obvious reasons, Vodafone doesn't want Orange cars.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

wesley123
wesley123

Santander also extended mclaren sponsorship, so we will still see them next year on the mclarens.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

chasefreak
chasefreak

santander has a good market in UK.. that is one of the reasons they will stay with Mclaren.... but their funding will be much less compared to this year

Roland Ehnström

Personally I'd like McLaren to change the chrome/silver to white. Then they'd look kinda like the dominant Marlboro McLarens of the late 80's, especially with Lewis' yellow helmet in the middle...

White is also BMW's classic racing color, so it would make sense if Mercedes go to Brawn and McLaren takes over the BMW engine team from Sauber.

Silver and neon yellow could look kinda cool on the Brawns too...

deus1066
deus1066

From Martin Whitmarsh in the summary of today's race:

"But perhaps more important still is that work on MP4-25 is already going very encouragingly – it’s already quicker than MP4-24 – and there’s every reason for us to be confident that we’ll be able to continue to develop and improve it significantly between now and the beginning of the 2010 season."

Hopefully his confidence in the car will translate on to the track.

compo
compo

#-o
Last edited by compo on 20 Nov 2009, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

compo
compo

#-o
Last edited by compo on 20 Nov 2009, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

Shrek
Shrek

Why not take the best from both the RB5 and BGP001
Spencer

axle
axle

goony wrote:
axle wrote:Yes but don't forget the BGP01 wasn't optomised either. They had to literally chop the chassis to fit the engine in and it was never sorted during the season as the tubs cost too much. So, the car was always compromised. So whilst others caught up and optomised their packages Brawn were always slightly lame.

I'll be interested to see how many cars copy the RB5 and how many copy the Brawn. IMO the MP4/24 is now looking remarkably similar to the BGP01.
ever wonderd why force india used the mac gearbox and brawn didnt??
the fact is that fitting the merc wasnt that difficult all it needed was a bulkhead mating with the chassis mounting points that were there all ready and extra mounting points for the engine the big thing was the gearbox they couldnt use macs because of the double diffuser as it got in the way

goony
Nope never did wonder that, as I too knew. :) The point still stands that the car was compromised either way.

As for taking the best bits from the BGP01 and RB5 and making a great car from them...that's incredibly simplistic and not practical. Car's work as a whole, you can't bolt the front of an RB5 on the back of the BGP01 and have an awsome car - the aerodnamics from the tip of the front wing to the edge of the rear wing work in unison.

From what I read earlier in the year 1 of Brawn's "options" for this year was to go with a car that was packaged similarly to that of the RB5, however they decided against it for a percieved better long term option that we have in the BGP01.

I personally expect more of the BGP01's features to end up on other cars than those of the RB5.
- Axle

horse

deus1066 wrote:From Martin Whitmarsh in the summary of today's race:

"But perhaps more important still is that work on MP4-25 is already going very encouragingly – it’s already quicker than MP4-24 – and there’s every reason for us to be confident that we’ll be able to continue to develop and improve it significantly between now and the beginning of the 2010 season."
Frankly, I find this statement a little dubious. For one thing, how can they know? Do they have a car running or (as is more likely) they are working from simulation data? I think F1 is testament to the lottery of numerics and even the big wind tunnels they use for validation can't be assured to give you a car that works well dynamically.

Admittedly, they no longer have to focus on KERS, which will prove an advantage to whichever department that the staff can be reassigned to (or laid off?), but ultimately a quote like that just strikes me as dangerous posturing of the BMW/Brawn-update kind.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu