Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gibells
gibells

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Look at this shot. Looks like the contingency fin rather than the broader one...

Tell me I'm wrong. Please.

zgred

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

gibells wrote:Look at this shot. Looks like the contingency fin rather than the broader one...

Tell me I'm wrong. Please.
Difficult to say; the reflections on the fin look to be curved suggesting its the hollow one to me. [-o<
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Blackout

Many little changes on the deck (extension beam/deck removed), the beam, the body work...

astracrazy
astracrazy

tried to compare but reflection/lighting makes it difficult

Exhaust exits slightly different though?

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Declared legal. http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... =&ie=UTF-8

Diffuser has changed though.

EDIT bad URL above: go to http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1
Last edited by bonjon1979 on 11 Mar 2010, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Bad URL.

Don't accept what you see today as the final configuration. The car might still change before FP1.

meves
meves

McLaren can breathe again. The new MP4-25 which had stood for two weeks in the crossfire of criticism. Two teams, the FIA had perforated Commissioners with questions of whether the system that McLaren used to be at top speed at the wing to tear down the flow was legal. The questions were mainly a purpose. Figuring out what makes McLaren really.

To take advantage of the explosive debate on McLaren had been invited specifically FIA race director Charlie Whiting to Woking in order to ascertain the legality of the system. But the visit fell into the water. Whiting arrived a day later than planned from a race track inspection from Brazil back to Europe.

Thus, the question of whether the new McLaren is vulnerably compliant or not deferred to the technical inspection before the start of the season in Bahrain. In the afternoon lifted the FIA Commissioners thumb. The trick concocted the McLaren has, in line with the rules. Against a disturbance of the flow on the wing is in principle no objection. The main discussion was about how the car knows whether it is located on a straight line or in a curve. Each automatism that has changed any part of the car to make aerodynamic influence, not allowed. For example, a contaminated pressure valve. It is thus clear: The command can only come from the driver.

How exactly does the trick remains a mystery

Now it is left to the imagination of the other teams, using what the body part Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button to open or close the air channel that starts in front of the cockpit with a little snorkeling, and extends from there to the end of the airbox, that the upper wing element is connected. Most people think: It's the knee. From rows of Commissioners only so much is heard: "A simple but brilliant trick."

McLaren did not quite yet got off scot-free. On the final day of testing at Barcelona, it was surfaced with a diffuser, which was cut in an area too far, that is where the remote starter is docked. That is forbidden. McLaren has zurückbauen in this area at the old stand.
Interesting that they have to amend the diffuser I wonder if the new one shown above is legal?

wesley123
wesley123

i think that diffuser is a quick fix, i mean that diffuser is like twice smaller.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

meves wrote: Interesting that they have to amend the diffuser I wonder if the new one shown above is legal?
I think the one above is the one that has been declared illegal although quite why is beyond me at this stage. At a guess, the slot isn't allowed because the diffuser isn't a continuous surface anymore.

See viewtopic.php?p=150555#p150555 for the appearance of this diffuser in testing.

Edit: for spelling
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wesley123
wesley123

well im getting doubts with it, the crashbox seems alot different if im correct and the second deck looks very weird.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Just_a_fan wrote:
meves wrote: Interesting that they have to amend the diffuser I wonder if the new one shown above is legal?
I think the one above is the one that has been declared illegal although quite why is beyond me at this stage. At a guess, the slot isn't allowed because the diffuser isn't a continuous surface anymore.

See viewtopic.php?p=150555#p150555 for the appearance of this diffuser in testing.

The one above is the new replacement diffuser. From what I can gather, it is just the hole to access the starter motor that needed to be changed. Any other changes to the diffuser have come about because McLaren wanted to amend it. I'm guessing that the hole for the starter in the Barcelona diffuser must've revealed part of the upper deck which made the diffuser illegal.

forty-two

The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

meves
meves

bonjon1979 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

The one above is the new replacement diffuser. From what I can gather, it is just the hole to access the starter motor that needed to be changed. Any other changes to the diffuser have come about because McLaren wanted to amend it. I'm guessing that the hole for the starter in the Barcelona diffuser must've revealed part of the upper deck which made the diffuser illegal.
Cheers Bonjon that makes sense! I'd guess if they made that amendment then either they realised their mistake or they've had the heads up from the FIA which is why they were so confident.

Earth

New front wing: