Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
djos

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Holy crap, those sidepod intakes are Rectangular! :shock: :o
"In downforce we trust"

myurr
myurr

I take it back - even with the fin, from the side view that is a thing of beauty. From the top view the car looks so much less bulky than the Ferrari around the waist.

Another pic: http://www.mclaren.com/f1season/2010/presspack2010/

jac
jac

Looks awesome! But why oh why did they have to stick a shark-fin engine cover on it. It's gonna ruin the entire look - can't stand the sight of them. They should be banned. :x

vasia
vasia

myurr wrote:
vasia wrote:Lots of interesting features on this car, from the front wing, to the mountings under the nose, to the unique shape of the nose itself. The sidepods as well as the rear end look quite interesting.

Definitely looks more unique than the F10, and personally more attractive.
I'm not keen on the look of the side pods and shark fin, but by god have they developed that car. Can't see it being in the middle of the pack - either they've found some huge steps forwards and its at or near the front, or they've messed up again and it's going to be at the back. Hopefully the former.
Even if this car will not be near the front, never underestimate McLaren. Last season they were the team that showed the biggest improvement. McLaren's potential to develop a car is incredible.

With that said, I have a feeling this car will be near the front, rather than at the back of the pack.

The side profile shot of the car really is beautiful. Only 3 cars released so far, and already the F10 is the ugly duckling of the bunch. The Williams car and this just look so much better than the Ferrari.

djos

myurr wrote:
I take it back - even with the fin, from the side view that is a thing of beauty. From the top view the car looks so much less bulky than the Ferrari around the waist.

Another pic: http://www.mclaren.com/f1season/2010/presspack2010/
From the side the packaging around the exhaust looks quite odd and gives the appearance of not being a low-cg car and a bit porky but from the top it is incredibly compact! :o
"In downforce we trust"

Vasco

Whoa...it looks stunning from the side. Lots of interesting features especially the positioning and body work around the exhausts!!

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

It looks long. But I guess we'll have to wait to see a comparison with the F10 before we can really get a look. Any clever bods able to do with with photo shop? I remember last year someone was able to use the size of the wheels to make sure they're the same scale and then do a comparison.

vasia
vasia

The wheelbase is quite long, possibly a bit longer than the Ferrari. The weight distribution doesn't seem to be as forward-biased as the F10. It will be interesting to see how the two cars perform on tight, twisting slow speed circuits.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Looks to me like they have a Williams type snow plow splitter under that nose...

astracrazy
astracrazy

exhausts on the side. From the top, the side pods come in very early

very nice car

myurr
myurr

bonjon1979 wrote:It looks long. But I guess we'll have to wait to see a comparison with the F10 before we can really get a look. Any clever bods able to do with with photo shop? I remember last year someone was able to use the size of the wheels to make sure they're the same scale and then do a comparison.
It's definitely doable. I'll maybe give it a go in a bit if no one else has.

The thing to remember with both cars is that they were among the shortest last year - even with the extra 15cm or so they're only around the same length as last years Red Bull and Williams. It's going to be more interesting to see what those cars do with their length. Do they try and pack more in to the same wheelbase, or do they go even longer?

astracrazy
astracrazy

i wanna see the diffuser now

myurr
myurr

imightbewrong wrote:Looks to me like they have a Williams type snow plow splitter under that nose...
Definitely the case. That's the bit that's interesting me the most at the moment - I'm no aero guy but between that and the very tidy rear end they should be getting very good airflow under the car and out the back of the diffuser and rear wing.

Fil

my first words once i caught my breathe..

holy f#ck!!
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

astracrazy
astracrazy

actually the side pods are so tight it looks like the drop down with the vodafone logo