Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
horse

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

It doesn't look like the radical redesign Whitmarsh was promising. I'd say, so far, what we've seen of the FW31 looks likes the greatest departure from last years cars.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

With the height of that rear end they should have space enough for the mother of all difusers.. wonder how this affects the COG...

vasia
vasia

Just read a big bunch of information from McLaren on the car, very interesting design philosophy they took. They said they took full advantage of the regulations in order to achieve maximum benefit from the car's floor. They said the rear of the car is redesigned to get maximum benefit from the floor, which can only mean one thing; there must be one incredible diffuser on the car.

The car's cooling system is totally redesigned, and believe it or not McLaren claims they lowered the car's center of gravity.

Sidepods are also overall more compact than the F10's.

The thing that interests me most is that unique shape of the nose, including that "hump" on the nose.
Last edited by vasia on 29 Jan 2010, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

That is a wicked looking car. Love the exhausts...about as far away from the Ferrari solution as possible.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

horse wrote:It doesn't look like the radical redesign Whitmarsh was promising. I'd say, so far, what we've seen of the FW31 looks likes the greatest departure from last years cars.
Are you mad, look at the thing! It's so different to the silver donkey as to be untrue.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Just done a comparison of Mac and Ferrari wheelbase using the wheels to make sure they're the same scale. It looks like the mac is up to half a wheel shorter in wheel base (6.5 inches). This has to be good news for the twisty circuits.

myurr
myurr

Quick and dirty comparison. Looks like the McLaren is actually slightly longer - I'm surprised by that but hey... if it works...

myurr
myurr

bonjon1979 wrote:Just done a comparison of Mac and Ferrari wheelbase using the wheels to make sure they're the same scale. It looks like the mac is up to half a wheel shorter in wheel base (6.5 inches). This has to be good news for the twisty circuits.
Interesting... maybe you could upload the image? We can't both be right ;)

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Haha! so much for my attempts! looks to be a couple of inches doesn't it.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

myurr wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:Just done a comparison of Mac and Ferrari wheelbase using the wheels to make sure they're the same scale. It looks like the mac is up to half a wheel shorter in wheel base (6.5 inches). This has to be good news for the twisty circuits.
Interesting... maybe you could upload the image? We can't both be right ;)
I've seen my mistake. I was using the outside of the tyres rather than the rims. Angle of the photo changes the perspective slightly throwing things out!

astracrazy
astracrazy

the F10 looks like its been on a diet of burgers and kebabs this looks like its been in the gym everyday - a lean mean fighting machine
horse wrote:It doesn't look like the radical redesign Whitmarsh was promising. I'd say, so far, what we've seen of the FW31 looks likes the greatest departure from last years cars.
compare the mp4-24 to the mp4-25, its a huge difference!

myurr
myurr

bonjon1979 wrote: I've seen my mistake. I was using the outside of the tyres rather than the rims. Angle of the photo changes the perspective slightly throwing things out!
Yeah learnt that the hard way last year - it's much easier to line up the rims than the tyre edge, especially when the cars are at a slightly different angle.

myurr
myurr

Rear wing is different - the end plate is more substantial in the part alongside the wing elements. Previously the cutaways went right to the edge, now they don't.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Aligned at front tire rim

aligned at headrest/air box:

myurr
myurr

imightbewrong wrote:Aligned at front tire rim
Looks much closer in your pictures - which I would suspect to be more accurate than my alignment. With the cars not being quite the same angle it's easy to get it a little bit wrong.