Button signs for Mclaren

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
axle
axle

Re: Button signs for Mclaren

Conceptual wrote:I think Button stayed at BrawnGP for a much lower salary because he was promised by Brawn that the car was a winner (like he told Honda). Barrichello is not a bad driver... It is hard to stay in F1 for 15 years and be a bad driver.

The real question is this...

What did Button see when he saw the 2010 McLaren machine and compared it to the 2010 MGP machine?

I don't see Jenson jumping to a team that he felt was going to underperform. I think that he took more money to race in what he felt was going to be the better car.

That doesn't mean that I think it is a good idea, but the amount of opinion expressed here as if it is the truth makes my teeth ache.

Unless you were in the room when these decisions were made, please preface your responses with the words "This is what I THINK...." Please stop acting as if reality bends to the whim of your opinion.
Indeed - it's not about pure money this is about the chance to win again. He clearly thinks McLaren will be challenging and that plus 3 guarenteed years = signed contract.
- Axle

Terrible3
Terrible3

kilcoo316 wrote:
Button stuck with Brawn? What choice did he have? Did he have another drive lined up? No.
Exactly. He was JUST able to stay in F1 and the team that offered him a drive happened to have a car vastly superior to any other.

Giblet
Giblet

kilcoo316 wrote:
Giblet wrote:I guess I think silver platter means handed to you with no personal worries or losses, like the definition of the term.

This is not the case for the 2009 season with Jenson Button. The perspective is that he was on a failing Honda team, that he stuck with, not that he lucked into some team that handed him a car on a silver platter. His career with this team did not start at the track debut of the BGP-01.
Personal worries? About what?

Losses? He still made a few million in wages last year.

Button stuck with Brawn? What choice did he have? Did he have another drive lined up? No. Did he lose money last year as a result? No, he still made a few million.

Giblet wrote: He earned that car from that team, and that is why I am beginning to think I am the only one that understands what a silver platter is.
He earned nothing.

Barrichello might have earned that car since he convincingly outperformed Button in 2008.

You have an extremely warped view of a silver platter, and/or a warped view of F1. Which is why I'm getting somewhat pissed off.
You are acting like an idiot. Button AND Barichello earned that car. Nobody outclassed anyone definetely considering that they were driving a tank when everyone else had a car.

Everything I said is true. I have no clue what you arguing, or why you are getting pissed off over a simple discussion.

Relax man.

I am aware he made millions, but he took a PAY CUT, and you are ignoring that as well. That is my point, not that he made no money.

It is blatantly obvious you have no idea what a "sliver platter" is. You are arguing against fact. "Handed on a Silver Platter" to everyone but you means not having to work for something.

The guy had to deal with a car that was one of the worst in recent F1 history vs expectations, for two years in a row. Getting promised a good car and being handed a piece of crud.

Maybe you need to stand up a bit as everything I have said has sailed right over your head, twice now.
Last edited by Giblet on 18 Nov 2009, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Giblet
Giblet

Terrible3 wrote:
kilcoo316 wrote:
Button stuck with Brawn? What choice did he have? Did he have another drive lined up? No.
Exactly. He was JUST able to stay in F1 and the team that offered him a drive happened to have a car vastly superior to any other.
Of course he didn't have another drive for the next year, he had a contract to drive with Honda, who folded unexpectedly. :roll:

Please guys, at least remember RECENT history instead of looking everywhere for points to prove your argument of, I don't know what exactly.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Nick Fry in an 'autosport' interview...
In this situation, we don't understand the logic of the decision and I think Jenson is going to have to up his game if he's going to beat Lewis on home territory."
I agree, and I find it interesting that Fry himself recognizes that Button is going to have to 'up his game' if he wants to beat Hamilton.

Now it's pretty clear that Rosberg will go to MGP correct?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Giblet
Giblet

That is all but assumed. All the other top teams are filled, and Nico was not leaving Williams unless for a top team.

ringo

mx_tifosi wrote:Nick Fry in an 'autosport' interview...
In this situation, we don't understand the logic of the decision and I think Jenson is going to have to up his game if he's going to beat Lewis on home territory."
I agree, and I find it interesting that Fry himself recognizes that Button is going to have to 'up his game' if he wants to beat Hamilton.

Nick Fry sounds a little confused and shattered. I think they really wanted Button on MGP. It's a shame, oh well i want heidfeld to get the drive :twisted: , Rosberg is the german #1 now so kimi wont help MGP cause, he also wont help Rosberg develope. Nick would be a good pick, he never failed to undeperform his car. I like kimi but it would be unfair to nick who wasn't taking his career for granted like Kimi.
For Sure!!

Ayrton Senna

this is mclaren team's new catchword ..

BUT ON LEV'IS HE MALE THEN ? :D :D :D

mortigitempo
mortigitempo

Pleased to see Button is up for taking on someone of the quality of Hamilton. Whatever the monetary/contract situation, if I was in Button's position I wouldn't want to stay in a team to avoid driving against someone because you considered them a threat. Whether or not Jenson gets beaten by Lewis, it'll be great to see two such different style drivers in equal equipment. Pretty sure Lewis will have ultimate pace over Button, but I reckon a few stellar performances like Turkey or Monaco this year, combined with consistency and good race pace will keep him reasonably competitive over a season.

sticky667
sticky667

ringo wrote:
mx_tifosi wrote:Nick Fry in an 'autosport' interview...

Nick Fry sounds a little confused and shattered. I think they really wanted Button on MGP. It's a shame, oh well i want heidfeld to get the drive :twisted: , Rosberg is the german #1 now so kimi wont help MGP cause, he also wont help Rosberg develope. Nick would be a good pick, he never failed to undeperform his car. I like kimi but it would be unfair to nick who wasn't taking his career for granted like Kimi.
would be a great laugh to see Kimi swipe that MGP seat out from Nick again! go Kimi!

lkocev

All I can say is that I'm shocked. I was quite convinced that Kimi would go back to McLaren, now out of no-where they make a deal with Button... wow, what a team!

I mean, you have to hand it to McLaren, two world champion drivers, not only that, but two British world champion drivers, is just ... WOW.

I don't think it is a big secret on this forum that I'm a bit of a Jenson Button fan. I think that the guy has got a seriously big pair of bolloks, to willingly team with Hamilton straight after becoming world champion. It sure is a brave move, probably would have been more comfortable to stay with Mercedes GP, but you have to admire Button's desire to continue winning and to continue fighting for championships.

Ultimatley, many people think that Lewis will out-perform Jenson. Somehow I have a feeling that Jenson will give Lewis a pretty good run for his money. One thing is certain, 2010 is going to be very exciting!

ISLAMATRON

Guess JB fit in the car well enough, I bet we'll see him driving with his head cocked to the side next season. Funny thing, he'll have the number 1 but will have the yellow camara mount.

McLaren way overpaid. They could have got the same level driver in heidfeld for much less... guess they were buying the number one sticker.

lkocev

ISLAMATRON wrote:Guess JB fit in the car well enough, I bet we'll see him driving with his head cocked to the side next season. Funny thing, he'll have the number 1 but will have the yellow camara mount.

McLaren way overpaid. They could have got the same level driver in heidfeld for much less... guess they were buying the number one sticker.
How can he have number 1 and yellow camera mount, the camera mount is based off who finished the previous season with more points, exactly the same way the numbering system is. The orange camera mount doesn't go to the 'spiritual' team number 1, but to the actual number 1.

Perhaps McLaren overpaid, perhaps not. But I don't think Heidfeld is as good as Button, I don't think he would have been 'same level for less'.

CHT
CHT

Somehow I feel that Mclaren intention of signing newly crowned WDC is simply a ploy to re-validate Lewis Hamilton position as the best of the best on the grid and to do so with car no.1 and 2 for 2010.

Lets hope Button will not be "crushed" by Lewis Hamilton or Merc GP next year.

Ray

Button is going to get his clock cleaned at McLaren. His cajones are huge going to McLaren thinking they'll give him equality with Lewis. He's never going to get equal equipment as long as Lewis is there, and he'll have to massively outdrive Lewis to get it. (which he'll never ever do!) Can't wait to see the melt down that's gonna happen next year.