Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
autogyro
autogyro

Re: Red Bull RB6

I wonder if the Webber crash was because of the F-duct control?

Morteza

autogyro wrote:I wonder if the Webber crash was because of the F-duct control?
I've been watching the accident film from Webber's on board camera and as Webber was using F-duct since his left hand was not completely on the steering wheel but it seems that suddenly Kovalainen slowed down. Then, Webber's left hand sticked to steering but it was too late to prevent the touch and they had a collision! This is what I got from the accident.
Last edited by Morteza on 02 Jul 2010, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

marcush.
marcush.

for sure Red Bull does not lag far behind in difusser design ,do they? :lol: :lol:

to me it is rather obvious that some teams should look again and then ask themselves if they really don´t know why RedBull is so quick...

segedunum
segedunum

marcush. wrote:for sure Red Bull does not lag far behind in difusser design ,do they? :lol: :lol:

to me it is rather obvious that some teams should look again and then ask themselves if they really don´t know why RedBull is so quick...
The problem is that other teams have focused too much on the diffuser. Red Bull has looked at everything forward of it. So have Renault because they have a lovely floor.

strad

sorry..Webbers crash was because Webber drove his car into the back of another..that simple...And please don't tell me it was because todays drivers (Webber) can't drive with one hand,,,you know the way they all drove prior to these semi automatic gearboxes.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

many of you keep talking about the Red Bull diffuser when in fact the Pull-Rod suspension compromises the effects of the diffuser. The same Pull-Rod suspension the relies more on over body downforce than under. Which is why they run best in front and not when in the turbulent pack. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

autogyro
autogyro

strad wrote:
sorry..Webbers crash was because Webber drove his car into the back of another..that simple...And please don't tell me it was because todays drivers (Webber) can't drive with one hand,,,you know the way they all drove prior to these semi automatic gearboxes.
But did the change in speed resulting from using the f-duct add to or even cause Webber to misjudge his braking?
In other words did it add to his already poor record of judging braking points with other cars close.

autogyro
autogyro

strad wrote:many of you keep talking about the Red Bull diffuser when in fact the Pull-Rod suspension compromises the effects of the diffuser. The same Pull-Rod suspension the relies more on over body downforce than under. Which is why they run best in front and not when in the turbulent pack. :wink:
I cannot see your meaning here.

strad

What??
Sir Stirling Moss

wesley123
wesley123

strad wrote:What??
That we do not understand what you are saaying
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

djos

wesley123 wrote:
strad wrote:What??
That we do not understand what you are saaying
Agreed, he makes no sense. #-o
"In downforce we trust"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

segedunum wrote: The problem is that other teams have focused too much on the diffuser. Red Bull has looked at everything forward of it. So have Renault because they have a lovely floor.
It's easy to focus on one aspect at the exclusion of others. Last year we had the double diffuser row; Brawn stated then that the diffuser wasn't the real key system but no one listened. This year the same thing is happening.

The most important thing on the RB6 is the front wing. It defines the air flow to everything else on the car and is extremely involved. Renault have spent a lot of time on the front wing; Ferrari appear not to have. McLaren have toyed with the end plates but little else.

I reckon the way the front wong conditions the air flow to the rest of the car on the RB6 is the key to its performance.

I think the reason the McLaren has done so well against the RB6 is because it has such a good front end anyway so they can afford to compromise on the front end in an attempt to sort out the rest of the package. This gives them scope. The Ferrari seems to have started with a deal of understeer built in (to suit both Alonso and Massa) so they have less scope further back.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

forty-two

strad wrote:
But from a safety point of view, IF (and I don't know if it was or wasnt the case) Mark Webber's F-Duct was enabled at the moment of impact, his downforce would be massively reduced. If he then lost his front wing in the initial impact (which I think he did), AND his front wheels climbed over Kovalainen's rears, this COULD have significantly contributed to his voyage into the air.

I am just thankful that they weren't passing under a bridge at the time, otherwise Mr Webber an/or Kovalainen might not be with us today.

EDIT: Typo
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

wrcsti
wrcsti

Really the worst case scenario would be a car upside down but still going forwards. Meaning all the downforce from wings will lift the car in the air longer thus not slow down nearly as much or worse yet fly over the barriers.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

forty-two wrote:
strad wrote:
But from a safety point of view, IF (and I don't know if it was or wasnt the case) Mark Webber's F-Duct was enabled at the moment of impact, his downforce would be massively reduced. If he then lost his front wing in the initial impact (which I think he did), AND his front wheels climbed over Kovalainen's rears, this COULD have significantly contributed to his voyage into the air.

I am just thankful that they weren't passing under a bridge at the time, otherwise Mr Webber an/or Kovalainen might not be with us today.

EDIT: Typo
The car would be more likely to flip if the f-duct wasn't active. When the front wing was lost all the downforce would then be on the rear.

The car went airborne though because of the flat floor, you don't need to lift the floor much to make it want to flip over, it's seen across multiple racing categories where they use flat floors.