Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Re: Red Bull RB6

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/motorspor ... -22191711/

Anyone seen above? Something about using bees wax to control ride heigh...

roost89
roost89

jason.parker.86 wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/motorspor ... -22191711/

Anyone seen above? Something about using bees wax to control ride heigh...
I thought it was BS they used. :wink:

Anyway, aye that'd be interesting. But I'm not sure if it'd work. I'm sure the bees wax would melt during quali, thus raising the ride-height before Q3...surely?
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

If they were to have done such a thing, any sort of wax or whatever would have to be in a spot that receives significant load. Don't see how it wouldn't just break apart or squash itself out on the first lap.

Not unlike the old trick of using zip ties or aspirin tablets or whatever between the spring and shock.. adding ride height in tech but then breaking and falling out on the first lap to bring the RH down.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Wax and such would be illegal under the rules that the FIA clarified.

However, i think that the Renault equiped cars aer all much more slippery than the other cars on the grid.

If Renault get the "upgrades" passed, that will mean that the engines are as follows for power:

Mercedes FO108X = 765Bhp
Renault RS27-2010 = 755Bhp
Ferarri 065 = 750 Bhp
Cosworth CA2010 = 743bhp

WhiteBlue

ESPImperium wrote: Mercedes FO108X = 765Bhp
Ferarri 065 = 750 Bhp
Cosworth CA2010 = 743bhp
Can you give sources for those figures or elaborate how you arrive at them? The only known way to get reliable data that I know of is sound analysis and comparison with the own engine's data.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

DM0407
DM0407

Mercedes FO108X = 765Bhp
Ferarri 065 = 750 Bhp
Cosworth CA2010 = 743bhp

Unless you work for the FIA I doubt those numbers are accurate. Even the teams bicker over who has more power, if it was so obvious then they would have fixed it.

Also, the likelihood of any engine:
A. Having exactly 750hp
B. All specs of the engine having the same HP (Ferrari, Sauber, FI). Even Alonso's engines are likely to vary by a few HP

Remember, 90% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I call shenanigans.

PNSD
PNSD

Looking at the speedtrap times I would certainly say the cosworth has more power than that.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

New bits for RB at china!
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 2010-3.jpg

You have to look hard but there are some deflectors/barge boards under the nose now, ala Renault. The usual barge boards also look like they might be higher too. It helps to lighten the image up a bit. I wonder if these are the new bits that Webbo spoke about being flown in the night prior to qualy?

Blackout

:-"
Blackout wrote:This is the new wing (and you can also see the new fins under the nose a la Ferrari)

Blackout wrote:...and new deflectors

raymondu999

Do you guys think the RB6 is especially sensitive to dirty air, or is it just a bad case of traffic? Vettel and Webber said that they had good pace in clear air, but behind others they were suffering. Or is it just a case of the quick German kid not being very good with overtaking?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

autogyro
autogyro

raymondu999 wrote:Do you guys think the RB6 is especially sensitive to dirty air, or is it just a bad case of traffic? Vettel and Webber said that they had good pace in clear air, but behind others they were suffering. Or is it just a case of the quick German kid not being very good with overtaking?
I did not notice much of a difference compared to other cars in the wet.
The wet conditions tend to negate all the ride height and aero benefits and even the competition. IMO RB simply got the tactics of the race wrong and made the wrong calls.

raymondu999

Ah. It's such a shame really. I really believe he had the pure pace :cry:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

segedunum
segedunum

raymondu999 wrote:Do you guys think the RB6 is especially sensitive to dirty air, or is it just a bad case of traffic? Vettel and Webber said that they had good pace in clear air, but behind others they were suffering.
Strange, it seemed to be the opposite last year. :?
Or is it just a case of the quick German kid not being very good with overtaking?
I doubt it. When you're behind other cars you want straight line speed and when you're out in front you want downforce. Maybe Renault will give them thirty odd horsepower to help? :roll:

segedunum
segedunum

autogyro wrote:The wet conditions tend to negate all the ride height and aero benefits and even the competition. IMO RB simply got the tactics of the race wrong and made the wrong calls.
Yer, it's pretty difficult to compare the car performance in uneven conditions and ask whether that will be repeated in coming races. Somehow, I doubt it. In Malaysia RB made the right tactical calls, especially in qualifying, and got the best possible result.

raymondu999

segedunum wrote:I doubt it. When you're behind other cars you want straight line speed and when you're out in front you want downforce. Maybe Renault will give them thirty odd horsepower to help? :roll:
Yeah, it's the old case of better overtaking vs better pace over a single lap isn't it? I think that would solve half the equation though. THe car is put up for a great laptime, but not for overtaking manoeuvres.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法