Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bar555
bar555

Re: Red Bull RB6

I also have the feeling that the the rear wing is flexing at straights . Take a closer look to the shark fin . It stays up ( also vibrates a lot) but the wing is flexing down , not only the flap , i mean the whole wing !
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

timbo
timbo

I noticed that RedBulls have much more elastic front and rear wings (maybe not the wings themselves but supports) last year in slomo F1 vids.
They bounce much more than on other teams.
However, they do pass FIA tests so, unless other team complains and FIA would modify their tests, they are fine.

Michiba
Michiba

That's quite interesting. The wing seems to go down, yet the wing-to-shark fin attachment piece seems to go up at the same time!

What's going on there.

univex
univex

I reckon its an illusion, look at the top of the shark fin in the second photo where the wing appears to be lower. It looks like it is fliped up at the end rather than flat and straight. Something in the photo, or something on the road in the background appears to be part of the fin making it look like the wing has dropped.
Besides flex tests would pick up a leaning wing straight away. They have been very hard on these for saftey reasons ever since BAR/Villenueve some years back.

triart3d
triart3d

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfgL_iBY ... r_embedded[/youtube]
:D
find this video..

it moves

And a link to the BBC on board race:
http://f1.f-e-n.net/index.php/url11884#

see 1:20:00 to 1:25:00

marcush.
marcush.

the rear wing is not moving down it is rotating ,around its fixation point ,so the shark fin connection moves up (and backwards) and the trailing edge of the whole rearassemply is moving down...
hm...

segedunum
segedunum

The shark fin is definitely moving quite a lot, but it's difficult to tell what's happening with the rear wing. It does appear to move down relative to to the fin but it's difficult to tell whether it's just the fin or the rear wing as well.

Interesting. It must be passing the load tests..............

PlatinumZealot

According to Isaac Newton and Robert Hooke it has to move.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

I think we would need to see how a similar 2010 car's wing (or maybe if necessary 1 with a flat sharkfin too) moves. That way we'll see the movement better in relative terms.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

madly
madly

It looks like a very clever aero changeable wing.
However probably it is against F1 aero rules.
Is it, or is it another 'F-duct' alike story?

What may be team or drivers consequences if FIA discovers it as illegal solution?

noname
noname

madly wrote:It looks like a very clever aero changeable wing.
However probably it is against F1 aero rules.
Is it, or is it another 'F-duct' alike story?

What may be team or drivers consequences if FIA discovers it as illegal solution?
has not FIA defined only static test requirements for the wings ?

Saribro
Saribro

Looks to me like the fin is just slightly bending left/right, and nasty artifacting from the video compression is making it look significant.

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

ok people click the video and put your mouse pointer on the end of the sharkfin then use that as a reference point and you will be able to see which one is moving (move the pointer to the ends of the wings to see if they are moving) i dont think the fixed camera will flex when going at high speeds will it ? so you cant say its the view point that changes

ringo

timbo wrote:I noticed that RedBulls have much more elastic front and rear wings (maybe not the wings themselves but supports) last year in slomo F1 vids.
They bounce much more than on other teams.
However, they do pass FIA tests so, unless other team complains and FIA would modify their tests, they are fine.
Well if you look at it another way, the wings aren't more elastic, their probably lighter and probably taking more load than the other teams. Remember the RB has way more down-force than the others, so it's parts will flex more.
The wing is probably flexing from the end plate mounting. Don't know if the body construction tests are less rigorous than the wing element tests. That could be a loop hole they are taking advantage of,if it is the case that the wing is moving as a whole, unusually.
i'll have to check back the regs.

Other than that loop hole suspicion, i think from it passes static tests, they are ok, and simply have more wing loading.
For Sure!!

timbo
timbo

ringo wrote:i think from it passes static tests, they are ok, and simply have more wing loading.
What's your opinion on Ferrari's moving floor saga, then? :D