Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Red Bull RB6

I don't know, should have been legal i guess, :) Though the regs say no part of the construction should have a degree of freedom relative to the rest of the sprung mass, i think the FIA should align their static tests with this ruling. It leaves loop holes if the static test for example is a 10 pound weight for only a 1cm of defection, when in fact that part of the car experiences 50 pounds of force on the track, unbeknown to the inspectors. And the team can't be blamed for it because they followed the rules. 8)

I think this wing is flexing at the root of the bridge wing. There is probably a relation between the rear wing pitching moment and the torsional displacement of this bridge wing, who knows? :-k
For Sure!!

timbo
timbo

ringo wrote: It leaves loop holes if the static test for example is a 10 pound weight for only a 1cm of defection, when in fact that part of the car experiences 50 pounds of force on the track, unbeknown to the inspectors. And the team can't be blamed for it because they followed the rules. 8)
Well, if other teams note this deflection and would consider it as smth that gives advantage to RedBull, we may expect the change in test procedure, just like what happened to Ferrari back in 2007.
Actually such thing happened many times, e.g. with McLaren bridge wing etc.

roost89
roost89

timbo wrote:
ringo wrote: It leaves loop holes if the static test for example is a 10 pound weight for only a 1cm of defection, when in fact that part of the car experiences 50 pounds of force on the track, unbeknown to the inspectors. And the team can't be blamed for it because they followed the rules. 8)
Well, if other teams note this deflection and would consider it as smth that gives advantage to RedBull, we may expect the change in test procedure, just like what happened to Ferrari back in 2007.
Actually such thing happened many times, e.g. with McLaren bridge wing etc.
Something tells me that all the other teams are in the same flexy boat.

Especially regarding the cascade wings. The rear-wings, almost definetly. The loads they're creating are probably, far, higher than is practical to test for at a race (if it's there they test).
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

shamikaze
shamikaze

Having repeatedly looked at the bbc video following the tail-wing movements it is clear that the RB6's wing moves down (rotates around a horizontal pivot point) with increased aero-load. The obvious fact that by the tail-wing flexing/rotating downward is to change the AoA hence reduce top-speed drag and downforce. What would be intersting to know where the pivot -point would be located.

The options are obvious:
1. The entire tail-wing which would be a comprimised setup, especially in high-speed corners because drag is reduced, but so is also the downforce generated.
2. The tail-wing is rigidly fixed to the underside of the car (including diffuser), but the flexing point is part of the undertray (forward of the diffuser) causing the diffuser get lower to the ground when the aero-load increases on the tail-wing. Since the tail-wing is an exposed aero-element and changing the AoA reduces the drag-coefficient, but has the side-negative effect of then also reducing downforce. This could be perfectly compensated by allowing the diffuser to move with it as well. Lower diffuser means increased downforce with no negative side effects. And when the car is normal or low-speed or static (parc ferme) is has normal ride-height. So Horner is right that it is not a ride-height control system, it is a diffuser-height control system ;)

Obviously, the above is just academic and open to all your points of view or comments ;)

GReetz,

S.

madly
madly

I'm curious what gain in lap time gives this invention? I could imagine, that huge.

Second, still unanswered 'for sure' question, is this legal?

gibells
gibells

New mirrors. But. What is he doing?

Tonn
Tonn

He is making a photo of himself :D

elsab
elsab

My guess would be he is recording the mirror position within the wing mirror, for setup documentation

bill shoe
bill shoe

shamikaze wrote:Having repeatedly looked at the bbc video following the tail-wing movements it is clear that the RB6's wing moves down (rotates around a horizontal pivot point) with increased aero-load. The obvious fact that by the tail-wing flexing/rotating downward is to change the AoA hence reduce top-speed drag and downforce. What would be intersting to know where the pivot -point would be located.
Good thinking shamikaze. If the wing takes a reduced angle of attack then it's going in the opposite direction from stalling. In theory you can reduce drag by reducing AoA or you can reduce drag by increasing AoA enough to cause stall.

raymondu999

I'm actually kinda disappointed. I would've thought newey would've done something magical that nobody else thought of for the mirrors. LOL
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pandamasque

raymondu999 wrote:I'm actually kinda disappointed. I would've thought newey would've done something magical that nobody else thought of for the mirrors. LOL
Like mounting them on the helmet bus style?

raymondu999

You never know with Newey. After all he did pioneer the Viking hornwings. I think.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Tonn
Tonn

Can´t believe how compact that rear is

Tonn
Tonn

Poleman

Anyone noticed how much the RB6's front wing was moving at high speeds in FP2 compared to others?From a SV in-car i thought it was broken but it wasnt. :?