Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Re: Red Bull RB6

Yes, there was some vibration and on Speed TV they said that RB was laminating add'l layers on some wing components, presumably for that problem.

OTOH, they really OWN Barcelona don't they?

Poleman

Yes as far we saw today they do...We have to wait whats up for tomorrow though for final conclusions as for the weather.But they are in a different league at the moment.Too bad i dont see that translating into results for once more... :? Maybe i can be proved wrong after the Sunday's race.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... =1103-4460

This pic could show the real reason for the lower exhaust exits on the RB! In this great pic you can clearly see some very large VGs on the sides of the diffuser, between the tire and the diffuser. Note that these VGs dump directly into the diffuser area instead of being kept outside the diffuser. They had to give away some diffuser isolation to do this , meaning the sides of the diffuser don't go all the way down to the maximum legal plane. But that's OK because the VG creates such a strong force that it isolates the diffuser flow better than extending the diffuser wall all the way down. This has to aid diffuser flow significantly!

Mark my words .. I will predict now that this design will be the standard on all cars next year, when DD diffusers are illegal.

that is a "diffuser wing" and is standard on many current cars (F10, MP4/25, FW32, etc)

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

The curved VG shape is indeed standard on many cars however, on other cars it does not align with the exhaust and does not exit into the diffuser. All the other examples I've seen have the VG exiting straight back along the outside of the diffuser box. It's used, from what I've been told, to isolate tire turbulence from the diffuser.

Can you add more than that?

zgred

horse

9 modular lifting surfaces. Incredible.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

So which front wing will they run? The open ended one or the boxed one?

djos

BreezyRacer wrote:So which front wing will they run? The open ended one or the boxed one?
Which ever one it was the RB6 is now 8/10ths of a second faster than any one else! =D>

They could have locked out the front row on the Hard tires they where so fast! :lol: 8)

Go Webbo!!!! 8)
"In downforce we trust"

Blackout

Nothing new. The new wing (first photo) appeared in China, not in Barcelona (in addition of new winglets under the nose and new vertical deflectors).
In Barcelona, The RB6 got a modified diffusor.

marcush.
marcush.

Red bull...it seems they do not have a AoA adjustment to their front wing or which
flap do they move?

Blackout

The previous wing had one... (here STR)

but neither the current endplates nor the wing seem to contain such a mechanism...

Last edited by Blackout on 08 May 2010, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

PNSD
PNSD

If not it just even further commends their efforts on this car.

Jenson saw it as essential to get that flap adjuster, but if RedBull have no need it clearly means their car balance with full fuel is not alot different with low fuel.

djos

PNSD wrote:If not it just even further commends their efforts on this car.

Jenson saw it as essential to get that flap adjuster, but if RedBull have no need it clearly means their car balance with full fuel is not alot different with low fuel.
I thought I saw a comment from Mark last year that it wasn't that useful and once he had the car setup properly he just left it alone.
"In downforce we trust"

segedunum
segedunum

Red Bull's wings are very odd I have to say, and I have never seen such razor thin wings and a shark fin. There's going to be no ducting in there! If they're passing the load tests then fair enough, but they are probably playing on the fact that a static load test can never generate the kinds of forces that a car experiences on-track, as all the teams are doing probably.