Machin's 2010 Car launch... sort of!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
machin

Machin's 2010 Car launch... sort of!

Well, I couldn't wait for the real cars, so here's a totally new one from me... including the major internals to see what effect the large fuel tank (coloured yellow below) might have on the overall car shape; not a lot I suspect, although the engine is going to sit quite far back if these are anything to go by....

Last edited by mx_tifoso on 24 Nov 2010, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title. original was '2010 Car launch... sort of!'
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

ISLAMATRON

Re: 2010 Car launch... sort of!

Outstanding job, does it take into account the 300mm rule for the front of the fuel cell(under the driver's back)?

Does it take into account the 800mm max width of the fuel cell?

What is the total volume of the fuel cell?

What density did you use for the fuel(to convert to kg's since that is what the teams quote to us mostly)?

What is the max amount of fuel(in kg) able to be carried?

What was the final wheelbase?

And what was the estimated weight and weight bias, not including the ballast?

Giblet
Giblet

Apparently wheel fairings are getting the heave ho as well.

Design looks cool. Nice work.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Pandamasque

Isn't the pedal unit too far forward? I expected the driver's feet to be behind the front suspension, not in it.

machin

Giblet wrote:Apparently wheel fairings are getting the heave ho as well.
The current 2010 rules still allow them....
does it take into account the 300mm rule for the front of the fuel cell(under the driver's back)?

Ooo... potentially not (missed that rule)... but....
...I've only gone 500mm wide on the fuel cell, so could easily widen it and bring it back from the driver....

approx 170 litres.....
What density did you use for the fuel(to convert to kg's since that is what the teams quote to us mostly)?
....based on 0.75 SG
....100-115kg, so between 50-60 laps depending on fuel used per lap.... I guess I might need to make this slightly bigger...

I'll need to check (not at home at the moment)
[/quote][/quote]

...again I'll have to check when I get home....

Sawtooth-spike

machin wrote: Giblet wrote:Apparently wheel fairings are getting the heave ho as well.

The current 2010 rules still allow them....
Faily sure they have been banned. Its been talked about quite abit. I know some of the designers have talked about it.

But i cant see it in the rules
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

machin

Faily sure they have been banned. Its been talked about quite abit.
They certainly talked about it... but then didn't change them...

To me the engine looks a bit small, but the numbers all seem right considering the design constraints;... we know the Bore and the stroke, the distance of the crank shaft above the neutral plane, the V-angle and the bore spacing, so it can't be a million miles off..... Maybe the heads are a bit small....

machin

Pandamasque wrote:Isn't the pedal unit too far forward? I expected the driver's feet to be behind the front suspension, not in it.
No... The rules say:-

13.4.2 When he is seated normally, the soles of the driver's feet, resting on the pedals in the inoperative position, must not be situated forward of the front wheel centre line.

This defintily meets that rule.

ISLAMATRON

machin wrote:
does it take into account the 300mm rule for the front of the fuel cell(under the driver's back)?

Ooo... potentially not (missed that rule)... but....
...I've only gone 500mm wide on the fuel cell, so could easily widen it and bring it back from the driver....
so widen to 800mm and take into account the 300mm from the driver's rear bulkhead rule and econfigure... I'm sure we can all agree that wider is better than higher, and depending on the wheelbase better than longer too.

machin wrote:

approx 170 litres.....
....based on 0.75 SG
....100-115kg, so between 50-60 laps depending on fuel used per lap.... I guess I might need to make this slightly bigger...
Most sources are estimating a need for about 150-160 kg of fuel to complete the race, the fuel cell must be designed for the highest fuel consumption tracks, Spa & Monza maybe? So maybe up to 175 kg max... that would be 233L,(at your .75SG) so your drivers would have a very frustrating year :wink:
machin wrote:
I'll need to check (not at home at the moment)
...again I'll have to check when I get home....
Dont hold out on us man

machin

Being a small independant team I have designed the car to be brilliant at low fuel consumption tracks... as we don't have the resources to compete with the top teams at ALL the tracks... this way at low fuel consumption tracks we will have a weight-distribution and aerodynamic advantage! :wink: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Tonn
Tonn

very nice model

how wide are the front tyres? they seem a bit too wide for 2010

ISLAMATRON

machin wrote:Being a small independant team I have designed the car to be brilliant at low fuel consumption tracks... as we don't have the resources to compete with the top teams at ALL the tracks... this way at low fuel consumption tracks we will have a weight-distribution and aerodynamic advantage! :wink: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Not a bad plan at all... low fuel consumption means you are going for wins at Monoco, Hungary, Singapore, Valencia(maybe)... the tight and twisties... aero not as important, just pile on DF by the tons... SHORTER WHEELBASE IS A MUST!.. but how short is too short? Seems to me all the teams will be doing their best to minimize wheel base with the refueling ban in place since longer fuel tank is probly better than higher(to a certain point)... The major difference between 2010 and the last time refueling was banned is that the driver's feet can not be in front of the front wheel centerline(a very logical safety rule)... but that makes the cars a bit longer even though the engines and gearboxes are much more compact now.

machin

Tonn wrote:how wide are the front tyres? they seem a bit too wide for 2010
I think that's a trick of the perspective in the third picture... if you look at the 2nd pic (view from above) you can see that the fronts are narrower than the rears (the frnts are 330mm, and the rears 380mm).

timbo
timbo

machin wrote:
Tonn wrote:how wide are the front tyres? they seem a bit too wide for 2010
I think that's a trick of the perspective in the third picture... if you look at the 2nd pic (view from above) you can see that the fronts are narrower than the rears (the frnts are 330mm, and the rears 380mm).
Where did you get 330 number?
Here it is stated to be 245mm

machin

timbo wrote:Here it is stated to be 245mm
Oh wow, that is narrow! I'll have to change that then.... any ideas on an official width for the rears???