Toyota Recall

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Re: Toyota Recall

Flynfrog

Thanks for fixing the quote problem. However, is this what this post has come to? Conspiracy theories? This is a pretty serious problem Toyota has in killing over 50 people over 6 years, doing squat about it, and this is all about union money???? How much "union money" can there even be? I thought union memberships were pretty small these days, something like 10 mil workers in all. OTOH, there are over 600 lobbyists for EVERY congressperson these days. Good work if you can get it I guess.

Usually this board at least deals with some semblance of facts. Can we get back to using our brains???
Last edited by BreezyRacer on 17 Mar 2010, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

Giblet
Giblet

Flying Frog is good guy, and very helpful and a good discusser. I would be surprised if his misuse of the quote tag was on purpose.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

autogyro
autogyro

I think you will find it was just a mistake in the posting by flynn frog.
Easily done.
As to his comments on the Unions, I think that needs more information.

flynfrog

Fixed it my bad. Like I said I have no proof. Toyota and Ford are yet to go under government control here in the states maybe this is there way in.

*hangs up tinfoil hat*

Shrek
Shrek

flynfrog wrote:Fixed it my bad. Like I said I have no proof. Toyota and Ford are yet to go under government control here in the states maybe this is there way in.

*hangs up tinfoil hat*
i heard somewhere that Toyota has gotten a bailout by the Japanese government
Spencer

jon-mullen

flynfrog wrote:My mostly unfounded and unprovable idea is that it has more to do with the union moneys being in charge of congress right now. Toyota refuses to use union labor and that is probably why they are still in business and didn't take a bailout from govt. But I think that is why congress is on a witch hunt right now.
Wow, a knee-jerk, counter-intuitive, anti-labor theory; never saw one of those coming...
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

marcush.
marcush.

I worked till recently for a car manufacturer and have to say ,I am not surprised what happens .Not flyby wires missing failsafe strategies not systems doing something unexpected.
I had collegues developing parts without having any clou wow a car operates or what the possible implications of their doings had on the car as a whole..
And with SOP in sight I was amazed at the rate of fault messages still popping up on development cars .how on earth they could rectify those issues and have no messages popping up in series is open to anybodys guess.. :shock:
Ac ar is a complicated system and with electronics even more so.Redundance is not a word I heard very often in development ,and this was amazing to me as well...
Toyota is not worse than anyone out there ,but also not better anymore but at least here in Germany they had a big outh with their quality ..

autogyro
autogyro

marcush. wrote:I worked till recently for a car manufacturer and have to say ,I am not surprised what happens .Not flyby wires missing failsafe strategies not systems doing something unexpected.
I had collegues developing parts without having any clou wow a car operates or what the possible implications of their doings had on the car as a whole..
And with SOP in sight I was amazed at the rate of fault messages still popping up on development cars .how on earth they could rectify those issues and have no messages popping up in series is open to anybodys guess.. :shock:
Ac ar is a complicated system and with electronics even more so.Redundance is not a word I heard very often in development ,and this was amazing to me as well...
Toyota is not worse than anyone out there ,but also not better anymore but at least here in Germany they had a big outh with their quality ..
It is yet another reason for car manufacturers to continue delaying the new alternate hybrid and electric technology. They will need to develop a completely new approach to reliability and customer safety. It will also need changes to driving instruction. At present there is way to much corruption and cover up for the sake of profit.

Drew
Drew

fly by wires...
My point of view is... that why aren't there people complaint about the gear shift?
for automatic wise... simplest way to slow down a vehicle when the engine keep rims up..
shift into "N" neutral and brake gently, would that be the easiest ways to slow down and stop a vehicle?

autogyro
autogyro

Drew wrote:fly by wires...
My point of view is... that why aren't there people complaint about the gear shift?
for automatic wise... simplest way to slow down a vehicle when the engine keep rims up..
shift into "N" neutral and brake gently, would that be the easiest ways to slow down and stop a vehicle?
An ex business partner of mine was the chief test driver for a major car company.
I will not post any of the many stories about production faults he used to tell me about but simply say that they covered practicaly everything on the cars.
The Toyota faults are nothing new and the numbers involved nothing unusual.
There is far more politics in this than any engineering issues.
I do remember agreeing that a seperate method of turning off the engine than a starter key switch would be a far safer design if the engine ran away and to make sure that the gear lever could be moved into neutral with no risk of selecting park or reverse. Now that is not rocket science IMO.

Drew
Drew

autogyro wrote:
Drew wrote:fly by wires...
An ex business partner of mine was the chief test driver for a major car company.
I will not post any of the many stories about production faults he used to tell me about but simply say that they covered practicaly everything on the cars.
The Toyota faults are nothing new and the numbers involved nothing unusual.
There is far more politics in this than any engineering issues.
I do remember agreeing that a seperate method of turning off the engine than a starter key switch would be a far safer design if the engine ran away and to make sure that the gear lever could be moved into neutral with no risk of selecting park or reverse. Now that is not rocket science IMO.
Yes, and your point "There is far more politics in this than any engineering issues." also came up in my mind.

Pandamasque

No! Floor mats are innocent, it's all about the 'cosmic rays' now :mrgreen:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArtic ... rs/248843/

autogyro
autogyro

Dont you just love that 'American Dream'.
Illusion would be better.
I see they are now having a go at another Toyota product, some 4WD thing.
This time it is the back end breaking away.
I would have thought it would be far easier to teach Americans how to drive round corners but then its all 'cosmic rays' innit.
Shades of the Mcarthy iquisition against those commies under American beds.
You have to laugh before you cry they are so silly and obvious.

marcush.
marcush.

talking about cosmic rays...

my toyota corolla TS denied me access again and again when I happened to park the little devil in a certain spot ...in front of my home. :mrgreen:
the reason was quite simple: on top of the adjacent housing was a big antenna from a mobile phone net supply.. park the car 10 meters further ..no issues.. in fact the other toyota in my company ,a Landcruiser had exactly the same problem.... :lol: :lol: so Toyotas R&D have no real idea or don´t really care about german mobile telephone networks?..

Of course electromagnetic radiation is not to be underestimated in influencing electronic systems.

jon-mullen

(edit: nevermind)
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR