New Indycar for 2012

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Sawtooth-spike

Re: New Indycar for 2012

Surely there is some issue with the lack of downforce on the front end and how close the wheels are together at the front?
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

The weight repartition is something like 70% on the rear, so front downforce doesn't need to be too much.

As for the wheels being too close, you have to put it in respect of the front width, which is accordignly narrow.

While i find the aesthetics a bit too weird, i like to the forward thinking and thus the overall concept. Now let's see if it's practical.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

autogyro wrote:Deleted offensive statements
Seriously?
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 18 Feb 2010, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted post by autogyro was quoted
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

ISLAMATRON

Rev Limiter wrote:The IRL board should try and locate the ex-CART Swifts and Lolas, perhaps contact Carl Haas and get the equipment and the 2.65L t engines back on the grid. :roll:

Enough with talk of drafting SOMETHING NEW!

Hey, that :evil: ALREADY exists :twisted: , and can easily adapt itself to Road, Street, small ovals and Super Speedways. Remember the wing and suspension packages of the champcar?

Why reinvent the Champcar wheel?

Admit to the failure :^o in what was flawed "vision" and get on with real racing =D> .
All those things were way too expensive... but the DP01 & cosworth solved that problem but didnt get a chance to be properly worked out.. if they are to go to the past for any solution it should be that car with those engines, Honda & Toyota made them too.

If they really want a new chassis formula(which incorporates the world engine), they should just set a fuel level(say 100 gallons for instance) and say that the cars must be sold(or leased) to the teams at a set price.

The set fuel level would increase efficiency(decrease drag) and the set price point would help protect the teams.

countersteer
countersteer

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... r-vitamin/

Good commentary from Marshall Pruett...

manchild
manchild

:lol:

Giblet
Giblet

Just increase the rear track, and decrease the front track, and we got a new IRL racer right here.

Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

autogyro
autogyro

Now you are talking, who needs those silly corners anyway, this is America and we do things diffrun, who givsa dam if it works.
If they realy wanted to take a look at a decent workable triangle plan race car built in the correct way, they should have taken a look at the 1930s Morgan three wheeler with the JAP engine. A classic.

That was nice.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 18 Feb 2010, 07:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Derogatory comments

theblackangus
theblackangus

autogyro wrote:Now you are talking, who needs those silly corners anyway, this is America and we do things diffrun, who givsa dam if it works.
If they realy wanted to take a look at a decent workable triangle plan race car built in the correct way, they should have taken a look at the 1930s Morgan three wheeler with the JAP engine. A classic.
That was nice.
I've stayed up to date on the magic gearbox of yours, always keeping my mind open that something new and cool may have be been thought of.

And while Im sceptic, I kept an open mind, and Im from the US.
Something apparently you dont have when it comes to ideas that are not yours.

Also for the record, Im not a fan of this deltawing car either, but I dont feel that gives me free license to bash something I know only a little about. Maybe they have achieved a good power to weight ratio because they have a magic gearbox, would that change your song?
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 18 Feb 2010, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted autogyro's previously edited comments and some answers

countersteer
countersteer

+1 =D>

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

The other, AMERICAN, IndyCar proposals...

Amazing how some --- some people talk about engineering development, when their own magic gearbox designs hold even less credibility than the DeltaWing..
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

roost89
roost89

Bringing the thread back on topic.

The Delta-wing car confuses me a fair bit. There's no room in the body-work for the wheels to turn, unless they've got a nice indentation that's hidden or they're going to design that in for their test runs.

Like they say, these are proposals, concept cars. The car that does get picked I think will be less radical and far more changeable, like the Swift.

But we haven't even seen the Lola concept yet. Who knows what they will come up with. We can but imagine.

List of Credibility (highest at the top):
Swift
Dallara
Delta

Lola...will be fitted in once we can see they're design.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

wesley123
wesley123

They want to be innovative again, you do not achieve that with an single manufacturer, you need more.

The days with Swift, Lola, Dallara, Penskes was the days of real innovation, where something was fought, now if you have one manufacturer there is nothing to be innovative for, thus why would you even try to be it? it only takes time and costs alot of money.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

manchild
manchild

Concorde was retired after 35 years of active service, 1968 to 2003 with a singe accident in 2000 when the plane was too old by any standard.

The SR-71 was in service from 1964 to 1998, with 12 of the 32 aircraft being destroyed in accidents (none by enemy fire). It had to be refueled after takeoff since it's body was expanding due temp on high speeds from almost half meter. Fuel was pouring out before it reached supersonic speeds. Pilots were wearing astronautical gear, and had to sit in cockpit for two hours before plane cools off from 600 degrees (if I remember the temp. correctly), so they don't get burned instantly.

You cannot compare highly demanding and unreliable military aircraft, with passenger aircraft that apart from noise worked perfectly almost 4 decades.

I'm not making fun of US designs, nor defending UK, please stick to technical details and facts.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 18 Feb 2010, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to elliminate out of thread previous comments

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

roost89 wrote:Bringing the thread back on topic.

The Delta-wing car confuses me a fair bit. There's no room in the body-work for the wheels to turn, unless they've got a nice indentation that's hidden or they're going to design that in for their test runs.

Like they say, these are proposals, concept cars. The car that does get picked I think will be less radical and far more changeable, like the Swift.

But we haven't even seen the Lola concept yet. Who knows what they will come up with. We can but imagine.

List of Credibility (highest at the top):
Swift
Dallara
Delta

Lola...will be fitted in once we can see they're design.
The Marshall Pruett piece linked up there has explaination why the car does not look like it can turn. The "display" car was a model and was made in a hurry and that was one of the neglected detail. We are told the "real" one can turn....