New Indycar for 2012

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
roost89
roost89

Re: New Indycar for 2012

RacingManiac wrote:The Marshall Pruett piece linked up there has explaination why the car does not look like it can turn. The "display" car was a model and was made in a hurry and that was one of the neglected detail. We are told the "real" one can turn....
That's true, I replied while my internet was loading that web-page and forgot to read the link before posting :oops:
It does seem like a big over-sight to miss-out the steering bit. What interests me is in the post the car has alot of backing from the big players and some of the drivers, but not from the fans.
They also mentioned that alot of updates were still to be applied.

I'm wondering whether this car (the Delta Wing) will be chosen because of its backing, instead of the other cars. If it is chosen, will the fans watch it?

I'm doubtful if the majority of the current fans will approve of the design enough to watch it or if the racing, which they (delta wing) claim will be better (due to under-floor aero and lack of wings), will be good enough to watch.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

djos

countersteer wrote:@ Bill Shoe... don't disagree with anything you're saying. I was specifically referring to the technical aspects of the car. Everybody, including me, is looking at it with a huge amount of pessimism. (won't turn, etc. etc.) My point is that, unless Bill Bowby was lobotomized early last year, he knows something we don't.

I pine for the good ole days, pre-split when we had 3 or more engine manufacturers with multiple chassis manufacturers battling it out with 900 horsepower... Wow...
+1

The IndyCar folk should be trying to return to the heyday of CART with multiple available chassis, multiple engine suppliers etc. Yes things got a bit expensive towards the end but if they want to prevent that they could easily set sensible rules with cost limits. eg:

Engine: Must be leased with cost cap of $5Mil per car, per year max and no exclusive deals allowed. All teams must be supplied with the same ECU maps and no team development allowed.

Gearbox: Spec paddle-shift, semi-auto, 7 speed Dual clutch box from same supplier with a number of different spec gear ratios sets (eg set of 5 per ratio) to choose from and configuration choice left to teams.

Chassis: max cost of $1Mil per complete chassis and no exclusive deals allowed. eg teams not allowed to develop the aero and shock packages themselves. all dev must be done by chassis OEM and all new parts must be available to all teams who have bought that chassis at the same cost.

imo this would stop the costs from being stupid and would produce great racing without letting guy's like Penske and Ganasi use their resources to do their own aero dev etc like they did in the CART days.

PS. I miss the glory days of CART, those 2.6ltr turbo V8's cars where brilliant to watch around Road America, the Gold Coast etc!
"In downforce we trust"

autogyro
autogyro

You have forgotten the essential alternate energy issue dios.
Without that the formula will have a limited life just like all the others that ignore it.

djos

autogyro wrote:You have forgotten the essential alternate energy issue dios.
Without that the formula will have a limited life just like all the others that ignore it.
The CART cars were running turbo V8's running on a Bio-fuel (methanol) back in the 90's - that's plenty green enuf for me!

PS, the Delta wing is the single dumbest race car design I have even layed eye's on! [-X
"In downforce we trust"

countersteer
countersteer

They've been running 100% Ethanol for the past few years.

That being said, ethanol as energy for a market the size of the US is a very sick joke.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

autogyro wrote:Lola is the most likely design.
Made in the UK I believe.
I'd like to know what you're basing this on, given that it hasn't been released.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Chaparral

Well there is a full field of Panoz chassis' sitting around introduced in the final year of Champcar + Kevin Kalkhoven an Aussie guy has 96 2.6 litre V8 Cosworths never run - lets not try and reinvent the wheel when it comes to a Indycar formula both chassis & powerplant would be ideal and the IRL did have meetings in Europe very early 2009 with the major car companies regarding power plant supply Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi etc + Honda and Toyota were also in the mix. Id like to see a decision made very soon so the teams have plenty of time to formulate their plans + and its a big + the IRL have to score a meaningful TV coverage currently they have nil........
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

countersteer
countersteer

Chip Ganassi was on Wind Tunnel (briefly) last night (he is car owner for the winner of the Daytona 500). He was asked about the Delta Wing project which he funded. He said something along the lines of...

Half the weight
Half the cost
Half the horsepower
Half the drag

etc.

He said the car will lap Indy in the 225 range but given the light weight and slick aerodynamics, would do it with half the horsepower and far better mileage.

Also, I believe they said that Firestone (Bridgestone) was a partner.

I don't have a problem with the "half, half, half" approach. I'm just having a problem getting past the tail fin on this car. The profile is growing on me otherwise.

As for a engine, has anybody else seen the V-8 built using a dedicated block and crank and all other components from a Hyabusa? Essentially a Hyabusa V-8? I believe the Busa produces something around 180 horsepower stock from 1.3 liters. (correct me if I'm wrong here). Straight line interpolation would give you a 2.6 liter, 360 horsepower engine. Perfect for what he's talking about at... what... $10k to $15k a copy?

Beewill
Beewill

Countersteer, you are correct about Bridgestone. I was at the Chicago Auto Show yesterday, and the Delta Wing prototype was on full display in the Bridgestone booth. IMO, the car looks as bad if not worse in person. It is very, for lack of a better term, chunky. I realize it is a non-functioning prototype, but looking closer at the front wheels, there is no way this car will be able to take a bend at any racing speed. The tunnel between the wheels will only allow for a small degree of steering input, a perfect set up for oval only racing…..

If the IRL wants to kill what little open-wheel fan base there is left here in the States and move to a NASCAR light, super speed way dominated schedule with a 50' era flying car prototype or "Rocket Car" as I heard a few times while shaking my head in disbelief at the booth, then for what it’s worth, from the heart of American open racing, Indianapolis, I give up. The saddest thing at the show however was in the back, there was a Panoz Champ Car with an IRL Honda sticker on the nose. Talk about adding insult to injury #-o .

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/11/chic ... ick-place/
"Time is a waste of life, life is a waste of time. So, lets get wasted all of the time and have the time of our lives" George Carlin

Ted68

Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

Giblet
Giblet

Danica is gone, there is very little crowd draw now, and the last Indy 500 was the least watched in the modern televised history of the event, in Indiana(!) which is a baseline they have always used. If the locals don't care, why should the rest of the country/world?

I can't blame them for getting desperate, and looking at such a polarizing chassis at all.

That being said, this pig needs a nose job, and then lipstick might help a bit.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

roost89
roost89

New lola

Sorry for the rubbish post, just about to head out.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

dp35
dp35

countersteer wrote:Chip Ganassi .. was asked about the Delta Wing project which he funded. He said something along the lines of...

Half the weight
Half the cost
Half the horsepower
Half the drag
I have a problem with these claims.

"Half the weight" - how is this possible? Shorter front suspension arms seem to be the only obvious weight saving items, and wouldn't change much. This car appears to be much longer, which would add weight. I say NO WAY would this car be any lighter than other options, assuming equal crash protection.

"Half the cost" - Compared to the current package, maybe, but not compared to the other options. Figuring out how to race dragsters around corners will cost twice as much in development.

"Half the horsepower" - Another bold claim, and I seriously doubt this car would be able to perform the way they claim with only 300hp.

"Half the drag" - IF this is true, its because this concept was built with a different set of rules, allowing wheel fairings & much longer bodywork. Allow the other options to do this, then compare drag.

I'm insulted by the bold, unchallenged statements like these, and calling this an "open wheel" car.

Giblet
Giblet

roost89 wrote:New lola

Sorry for the rubbish post, just about to head out.

Now THAT I can wrap my head around.

The underbody channels are an obvious feature, and are displayed proudly.

My initial opinion is that I like it.

Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

djos

Agreed, great looking race car! =D>
"In downforce we trust"