New Indycar for 2012

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Giblet
Giblet

Re: New Indycar for 2012

Notice the '24-7' car, is powered by 'NewMotor'
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Lola ain't bad. I'd still take the Swifts over it.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

roost89
roost89

The two body-shapes of the Lola

Quite interesting seperate designs.
Autosport wrote:The design features two options for body style to create variety in the field, but the packages will be performance matched to prevent either having a speed advantage.
I'm assuming this will mean that the teams will be able to choose different parts, say the opposite designs rear wing along with the their current front wing.
This would be quite nice, although the matching performance would mean that whatever gain they got would be negated...kinda losing the point behind the swapping of parts.
"Focusing on the rear under-body of the Lola Indycar, designers have found a cost effective and simple breakthrough to ensure that there is a minimum wake for following car," said a Lola statement.
I'm quite interested in what this "simple breakthrough" was. From the large ducts 'neath the side-pods. I'm guessing extensive use of under-floor aero. However, that's a stab in the dark.

The cars also seem to have a barrier of sorts behind the rear wheel that looks like it will prevent the front wings from hitting the rear-wheel of the car in front.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Giblet
Giblet

One of the design imperatives from the IRL was decreased contact between tires, as that is where the real danger lies on ovals.

All the new designs seem to address on car using another as a launch pad.

Side contact can be gotten away with, but interlocking wheels could mean a car in the crowd.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

autogyro
autogyro

The wheel overlap is difficult to address in any open wheeled car Giblet.
I wonder if that was the main purpose of the silly triangle thing?

Giblet
Giblet

All of these designs either have a secondary body for ovals, or have a primary design that has a vertical fence or fairing on at least one side or both sides of the tires.

These all seem to be somewhat neutral in an aero sense, except for acting as a vertical stabilizer at speed.

If the front of the tire is protected, the the back tire won't be able to touch the back tire of another car, so we don't need all faces of the tires protected.

This was a mandate of the design from the IRL, and each design seems to have one body to meet that mandate.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

dp35 wrote:
"Half the weight" - how is this possible? Shorter front suspension arms seem to be the only obvious weight saving items, and wouldn't change much. This car appears to be much longer, which would add weight. I say NO WAY would this car be any lighter than other options, assuming equal crash protection.
It also have smaller engine, and if it only makes 300bhp, much less cooling requirement...

roost89
roost89

RacingManiac wrote:
dp35 wrote:
"Half the weight" - how is this possible? Shorter front suspension arms seem to be the only obvious weight saving items, and wouldn't change much. This car appears to be much longer, which would add weight. I say NO WAY would this car be any lighter than other options, assuming equal crash protection.
It also have smaller engine, and if it only makes 300bhp, much less cooling requirement...
New materials or even new ways the carbon fibre is weaved, allowing less to be used. I suppose, new architecture (packaging) could also be used to shave a few grams.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

ISLAMATRON

And the removal of all the ballast, sometimes up to 100lbs or more

lauromoura
lauromoura

FYI, a rather long article on the development of the Delta Wing car:

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/c ... no222.html

myurr
myurr

lauromoura wrote:FYI, a rather long article on the development of the Delta Wing car:

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/c ... no222.html
Have to admit that after skim reading that article I'm warming to the concept. Thanks for posting.

countersteer
countersteer

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/c ... no223.html

More from Gordon Kirby specific to the development and testing of the prototype as well as the business model for this approach.

All in all, I'm in... I think this is the last hope for "Open" wheel racing in the US. To my fellow gearheads and traditionalists... Yea, I agree. But the success of the series cam't rely on us and us alone. The casual fan whose butt is in the seat and eyeballs are on the TV that really brings the sponsors... and the money. There aren't enough hard-core fans to fund a big time series...

Now if we could just get rid of that big fin... Now THAT is hard to swallow...

MiG31_Foxhound
MiG31_Foxhound

countersteer wrote:Now if we could just get rid of that big fin... Now THAT is hard to swallow...
It may be that I've been staring too long at modern fighter aircraft, but I think a split V would be less of an eyesore. The single vertical fin together with chassis make me think "batmobile."

countersteer
countersteer

I'm thinking maybe twin fins like an F-15 but smaller than what they have. You know, one on each ... fender. (Oh my Gosh, did I just say that?)

autogyro
autogyro

They should bring in some British technology from the late Barnes Wallis as used on the F15.
Make the thing 'swing wing' hahahaha.