Australian GP 2010 - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Danlizzyman
Danlizzyman

Re: Australian GP 2010 (Melbourne)

Fil wrote:
Danlizzyman wrote:I could hear what sounded like a V10 F1 engine today from my apartment. I could be very much mistaken or it could have been the 2-seater Minardi doing a bit of a shakedown, either way it gave me a tingle down the spine and now I'm super excited for sunday (got my ticket), and possibly friday and saturday if I go!
About 12:30-1pm?
I could hear them from work in South Yarra, and friends in St Kilda were claiming to hear it too!
It was a Jamie Whincup driving a 2008 McLaren for 4 laps, and Button driving a V8 Super Car for 4 laps too.
Thanks Fil, so I've no idea what a F1 V10 sounds like then, haven't heard one since Silverstone 2000. Seemed to be a nice scream from the V8 though, can't wait to hear that sound from a few metres away as opposed to a kilometer! I assumed it was the Minardi 2-seater because I saw it in the GP programme and knew it wouldn't be a current car around the track on a Tuesday. Yes it was around that time of the day, my apartment is in St. Kilda so the sound travelled pretty well, but I could really only hear it clearly when passing through turns 13 & 14. Roll on sunday!!

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

horse wrote:Possibility of intermittent rain during the weekend:

Australian Grand Prix Forecast: 26-28 March 2010
+

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

djos

Brilliant!!! That should make the race interesting! :)
"In downforce we trust"

Scotracer
Scotracer

I want it to remain dry so we can tell if the regulations have actually made things worse. Rain messes that up and pushes back any changes to the regs even further.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Scotracer wrote:I want it to remain dry so we can tell if the regulations have actually made things worse. Rain messes that up and pushes back any changes to the regs even further.
I agree with your logic, but with a lot of respect ... screw the regs, I want to see some action we will be talking about for weeks.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

djos

DaveKillens wrote:
Scotracer wrote:I want it to remain dry so we can tell if the regulations have actually made things worse. Rain messes that up and pushes back any changes to the regs even further.
I agree with your logic, but with a lot of respect ... screw the regs, I want to see some action we will be talking about for weeks.
+1 eg Malaysia last year was awesome!!! Watching moves like webber Driving around the outside of Button on the soaking wet circuit at high speed was awesome!
"In downforce we trust"

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

can't F@!#&* wait !!! ill be there fri/sat/sun...ill keep you guys updated with any interesting observations...definitely looking like changeable weather, something Melbourne is famous for..i just hope Webber can pull it off, this is his BIG chance..

Washngo
Washngo

i 'm not sure where you are getting your weather forecasts from, but all local stations in Melbourne are predicting it to be 31° and cloudy for race day.

horse

Update to the BBC forecast this morning, and as Washngo said it looks like the weekend may be drier than first expected on Saturday and Sunday although they say Sunday evening may have some rain, high temps and building winds.

Australian Grand Prix Forecast: 26-28 March 2010: Latest update: Wed. 06:30hrs
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Fil

Washngo wrote:i 'm not sure where you are getting your weather forecasts from, but all local stations in Melbourne are predicting it to be 31° and cloudy for race day.
yeah, but as you would well know, a forecast in Melbourne is barely worth the paper it's written on.. even on the actual day itself! :lol:

for what its worth, Aussie Bureau of Meteorology is telling me:
- Fri: shower or two developing (27degrees)
- Sat: shower or two (26 degrees)
- Sun: Dry Day. Evening Rain (31 degrees)

So we could get a few late spots towards the end of the race, which will be pushing twilight at race end.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Hangaku

DaveKillens wrote:
It's sad that we have to rely on something as uncontrollable and unpredictable as rain to enjoy a Grand Prix these days.

Bring back Jean Alesi!
Yer.

vyselegend

DaveKillens wrote:

I'd tend to think more like Dave, because even if dry Albert Park is not really representative of the order of things. (Remember last year how BMW looked strong there...)

So let's hope for some rain, or anything which could lead to more action than Bahrein!

mach11
mach11

rain in albert park will be awesome... after people complaining about a dull race in bahrain .... they will have something to look forward to...

anyways this year every race will be interesting... as refuelling is back after a long time... and all the teams are still little hesistant to try out something new...

got to wait and see..
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

Richard
Richard

vyselegend wrote:Albert Park is not really representative of the order of things. (Remember last year how BMW looked strong there...)
You're right about that. There was also a certain dog of silver car that finished third on the track.

Its a bit like Montreal for mixing up the pack and having a decent amount of attrition ... or is that my selective memory?

Washngo
Washngo

Fil wrote:yeah, but as you would well know, a forecast in Melbourne is barely worth the paper it's written on.. even on the actual day itself!
yes, you're quite right of course. In fact, they have changed their minds again: the weather people are sticking to 31°, but now they are saying 'rain' instead of 'cloudy'.