Malaysian GP 2010 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mr Alcatraz

Re: Malaysian GP 2010 - Sepang

Ganxxta wrote:So almost no driving action on friday and saturday morning :(
Here is my take on that.
It was apparent in last week’s race that some of the best pilots have still not gotten to grips with negotiating a wet first corner because:
A) they're driving hard (nothing wrong with that) and B) overestimating their car control with a full tank.
Not to mention the Hacks plowing through the mid-field.
If teams are idiotic enough to not run heavy fuel loads in the rain in practice,
then proceed to "brake a little late" into turn one and even just run someone on to the runoff,
ten second drive through, Zing 8)
Being responsible for contact that compromises anyone’s race should also receive a substantial fine proportionate to how deep their pockets are. :D
This is the first race I'm thinking I'd be happy to see started behind the safety car if it's declared wet. Especially if some of the fast guys get caught out because of changing conditions in quali.

One can dream. :-k
Regardless, some fans are going to be disappointed after watching an otherwise cracking race. :|
Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 01 Apr 2010, 07:29, edited 2 times in total.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

WhiteBlue

n smikle wrote:No mention of Rosberg?

He is the top German right now. :wink:

I can't remember a memorable wet drive from him.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

If it's a wet race, and they can stay out of trouble, i'd say it's between:

a) Hamilton
b) Vettel
c) Alonso

I would have previously said Schui, but from his previous performances, he's be off the boil..
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

ben_watkins wrote:If it's a wet race, and they can stay out of trouble, i'd say it's between:

a) Hamilton
b) Vettel
c) Alonso

I would have previously said Schui, but from his previous performances, he's be off the boil..
Off the boil? Not likely.

He's been out of single seaters for 3 years and was only one tenth away from his team mate in qualifying in a car that does not quite suit his driving style. Hardly off the boil.

He has always gone well in Sepang. Throw some rain (proper rain, not the drizzle there was in Australia) and he win be more than just a contender.

And Hamilton above Vettel? Are you mental?! Button should feature on that list as he is quite handy in the wet as is Massa.

ringo

ben_watkins wrote:If it's a wet race, and they can stay out of trouble, i'd say it's between:

a) Hamilton
b) Vettel
c) Alonso

Alonso did not look too hot to me in the wet. Not sure if he has much memorable wet drives on bridgestones, but he is better than Massa at it.. for sure.
I don't know if anyone sees this, but i think Kubica and the renault looks like they will be pretty good in the wet.
This is my list

Hamilton
Barichello
Alonso
Vettel
Kubica

because of the car, I'd bump Vettel to second place and take down Barichello. If anything Vetell can win this race quite easily with the RB6, ie if the exhaust pipes don't take on water and crack with thermal stress. :lol:

edit, how could I forget Shoe maker! :mrgreen: , He'll do well, maybe podium too.
For Sure!!

WhiteBlue

andrew wrote:Button should feature on that list as he is quite handy in the wet as is Massa.
Massa is a strange animal. He can look like a child sometimes and then he does the most extraordinary wet fight to tell you lies. He is unpredictable but I would not see him as a top pilot in the rain due to that variable form.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ringo

The way how things are looking, the cars are so good nowadays that they make the wet weather driver roster almost inclusive of every driver.
I say passes in the wet and ability feeling for grip should determine the true wet weather guys. Quite a few would be scratched off the list in that regard. The highlight reels hold the truth!
This race will be quite interesting, i just hope it's not too wet.
For Sure!!

sticky667
sticky667

can't forget Markus Winkelhock!

07 European GP.

Mr Alcatraz

WhiteBlue wrote:
andrew wrote:Button should feature on that list as he is quite handy in the wet as is Massa.
Massa is a strange animal. He can look like a child sometimes and then he does the most extraordinary wet fight to tell you lies. He is unpredictable but I would not see him as a top pilot in the rain due to that variable form.
Yes Bulk is a bit of a puzzle. The year that "The Boss" won the WDC Massa had an embarrassing first quarter of the season, and then absolutely caught fire. He gave a lot of credit to Mike, and it was common knowledge that Mike was mentoring him.

I see a number of scenarios’s playing out. Given the right set of circumstances
(in no particular order)
I could see:
Fettel :)
Twobins
The Kube
Mike
The Boss
Fred
Button
Britney
Webber,
winning this thing.
However I will take Fred in a signature bet over any one other pilot.
Not because I think he is necessarily the best wet race pilot. A scenario that will work for "The Scuds", is being reasonably well placed on the grid (this goes for Bulk as well) The Ambient temp is going to be in the neighborhood of 90 to 95 degrees F If it is not a proper rain race I believe Ferrari will get some good performance out of the options, as the track quickly dries out and be able to utilize, and manage the hards best. That includes a lot of maybes.
I take Fred You pick anyone else except Mike I really would like to see him win so I can't bet against him. The one that finishes the highest is the winner as long as his driver has a podium finish!
The loser of the bet has to use whatever sig. the winner dictates for two weeks, as long as it is not crude, or vulgar!
Any takers? :-"
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

roost89
roost89

I accept the bet, my pilot di Resta!
in reality. I'll choose bob
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

sticky667
sticky667

I predict the reds having temp issues again with the weather and humidity.

I'll stick with JB on this one because of the race craft and straight line speed the McL has. Many forget he was the best of the rest in 04 when the reds dominated. since then he hasn't had a proper car till Brawn.

andrew
andrew

If it rains [-o< , it'll be:

1. Vettel - if the car doesn't fall to bits
2. Schumacher - not quite at 100% but is always good in the wet
3. Massa - learnt from the rainmeister

Also, who's "The BOSS" :?:

sticky667
sticky667

andrew wrote: Also, who's "The BOSS" :?:
lewis

andrew
andrew

The boss of what?

roost89
roost89

andrew wrote:The boss of what?
The drivers. It's a nickname n_smickle (I think) chose to show Lewis' prowess at driving.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green