Blown Diffuser??

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Richard
Richard

Re: Blown Diffuser??

Bar555 has done a really good analysis of the Ferrari exhaust configuration in the F10 thread...

:arrow: viewtopic.php?p=186732#p186732

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

myurr wrote:...

Mercedes haven't improved, Williams made steps forward without the EBD and without the EBD providing anything extra yet, and Force India have just bolted theirs on and don't seem to be doing so well. Who else is there? I've probably missed a team or two. ...
Could it be due to the Mercedes engine that the EBD has trouble working properly?
myurr wrote:...
Couple that more difficult design with the vastly more complex diffuser that McLaren have then it's not so surprising it's taking a couple of races to perfect. Last race they ran it and have a good base line, hopefully the data from then and this race will give them what they need to take a good step forward in Spa (although isn't the factory shut for a couple of weeks? Or is that later in the year?).
Yes, the factories will be shut down for the summer break.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 30 Jul 2010, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: From MP4-25 thread.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

gridwalker
gridwalker

mx_tifosi wrote:Could it be due to the Mercedes engine that the EBD has trouble working properly?
That is a very good point ... but what kind of characteristic could lead to reduced performance in this area?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I'm thinking the power/torque curve? Along with it not reacting well to the ignition retardation, if at all. Has the Merc engine even been fitted with the retardation programme?

segedunum
segedunum

mx_tifosi wrote:Could it be due to the Mercedes engine that the EBD has trouble working properly?
Well, when Newey was at McLaren he was told by Ilmor and Mercedes to stop routing the exhausts to blow directly into the diffuser. It might not be relevant but it's possible that Mercedes engines might be built with a certain philosophy in mind.

jwielage
jwielage

mx_tifosi wrote:I'm thinking the power/torque curve? Along with it not reacting well to the ignition retardation, if at all. Has the Merc engine even been fitted with the retardation programme?
I read a post the other day regarding an "engine mapping" issue for Q3, is this similar to the ignition retardation point you make. I understand what ignition retardation is per se, but I am unfamiliar with how it relates to the thread.

In sum:
1. Are the Q3 mapping & ignition retardation issues the same thing?
2. Can someone please explain this issue, or direct me to a good explanation?

Sorry if these issues are discussed elsewhere and I am just not finding them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 30 Jul 2010, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Brought from MP4-25 thread.
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Yeah this has turned more into EBD talk than about the MP4-25, I think I will soon move some posts to the 'Blown diffuser??' thread (where you will find the Q3 mapping info).

The Q3 mapping and the ignition retardation are the referring to the same thing; they basically keep the engine "blowing" even during breaking/no throttle as to allow the EBD to do it's job constantly.

jwielage
jwielage

mx_tifosi wrote:The Q3 mapping and the ignition retardation are the referring to the same thing; they basically keep the engine "blowing" even during breaking/no throttle as to allow the EBD to do it's job constantly.
Great, thanks for the explaination.
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

forty-two

Re: Blown Diffuser??

Interestingly, it seems that Adrian Sutil has perhaps confirmed the idea of a special Q3 engine map specifically to feed the EBD:

http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=157
You do notice the difference (of the blown diffuser), especially with the different engine mappings," said Sutil.
OR is Adrian Sutil merely a reader of this forum! :P
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?