COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

That general admission ticket is cheaper than Melbourne, stand tickets are similar but also cheaper.

Ray

Even after currency conversion?

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

current exchange rate is near parity, so yes. 4day general admission was ~$160AUD

strad

Why don't you think you'll be able to circulate within reason...I mean you ain't standing on the edge of the corner anywhere anymore. You can't even get this close...more's the pity.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

Why is the red crane still at site with the building topped off more than a week back?

Richard
Richard

Topping off marks the completion of the structure (they have reached the top). The crane will still be needed for cladding and fitting out such as lifting in air conditioning plant and elevator machinery.... as well as removing that tree!

FW17

richard_leeds wrote:Topping off marks the completion of the structure (they have has reached the top). The crane will still be needed for cladding and fitting out such as lifting in air conditioning plant and elevator machinery.... as well as removing that tree!
Why would you need high capacity crane for building cladding?

AC chiller and elevator machine lifting are one day works and would not require a crane that large anyway.

Richard
Richard

I wonder if mobilisation costs & timing make it more effective to keep the existing crane for a short while. It also has a good reach so that can access the front façade from the back service road.

The grandstand crane seems oversized as well, it is only lifting in steelwork. Again, I guess it has been selected for reach rather than tonnage.

You'd expect cranes to more on the scale of the one by the media (?) centre.

Pup
Pup

I think they're still finishing up a bit of concrete work. I still see forms for the parapet wall on the near side.

FW17

Pup wrote:Here's the scoop on the likely sales date and prices for general admission tickets, plus a few stats on ticket sales to date...

http://www.statesman.com/sports/formula ... 03252.html
General admission and grandstand tickets for Austin's first Formula One race are not yet on sale and probably won't be until June, around the time of Montreal's Grand Prix. Geoff Moore, head of the track's marketing and sales, said those tickets would be sold online, with all likely to be three-day passes.

He said prices for those tickets have not yet been set, but they could be similar to Montreal's. At the Canadian Grand Prix this year, three-day passes are $558 for premium grandstand seats, $265 for the regular grandstand and $123 for general admission.

Moore said the sale of personal seat licenses has been brisk.

"We're in kind of a dead sprint," he said.

According to Moore, six senior representatives have been selling the personal seat licenses since mid-February, and in the past week 14 junior sales reps have been through training and are now working the phones from a row of cubicles at the circuit's office on Congress Avenue. They're going through 11,000 potential customers from around the U.S. and the world who earlier placed their names on the track's waiting list.

"It will be all 50 states and several countries," Moore said of the personal seat license customers.

Moore said slightly fewer than 10 percent of those on the waiting list were from foreign countries and 39 percent were from Texas. Californians account for about 15 percent of the list and Floridians about 8 percent.

Moore said the track has commitments for all 29 of the circuit's permanent suites. There are also 40 temporary trackside suites, similar to those found at professional golf tournaments, and he said there were commitments for about 35 percent of those suites.
Those grandstand prices are about twice what I remember paying for an Indy weekend pass. But it's not outrageous.

Season GS seats for less than $400 is a steal

Pup
Pup

Interesting article on the MotoGP deal...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/839/12770 ... inues.aspx

WhiteBlue

Pup wrote:Interesting article on the MotoGP deal...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/839/12770 ... inues.aspx
AFAIK there is nothing new in it. It is a bit like a comprehensive report. There is still some time to see how the law suit goes and it looks like all parties are going to do just that, wait and see.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

FW17

Why isn't Kevin Schwantz worried about a breach in contract? Does a contract mean nothing these days?

Pup
Pup

I'm sure he is. But his hands are tied since he's assigned the rights to Hellmund. All he can do is what he's doing - try to get CotA and Hellmund to make up and hold the race.

That does seem to be the problem - both sides are still too bitter to sit down together.

I do wonder if Schwantz would face a liability if the race doesn't go ahead, or if Dorna would just drop the matter.

The article did confirm that the rights are for Texas only. So are there any other tracks in Texas that realistically could hold a MotoGP race?

Pup
Pup

The April issue of F1 Racing has a brief interview with Tilke's managing partner Peter Wahl, where he says that the construction is ahead of schedule, and the track will likely be complete in September.

This quote is fitting, given the debate we had about the construction of CotA vs India...
My opinion is that we will be ready earlier than proposed - maybe by late September. The Americans have put a lot of big machinery into it. What we did in India with many people, we've done here with machines.
Also, on the track surface and homologation dates...
The track surface will be the last thing we do because we'll still have heavy traffic on the site, which could destroy it. ... We can start to lay the last layer in July-August. We should get the FIA homologation in September.
So, looking good.