COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

AutoWeek's Steven Cole Smith: Austin F1 group is marching to a different drummer

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120504/F1/120509920
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

FW17

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

COTA posted a picture today on twitter.

jordangp

WilliamsF1 wrote:Possible stands locations
Would love to of seen arena style stands around Turn 12 and 15 up to 16, and from the inside of 12 around 13 and 14, in a Hockenheimring style.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

I know this is the same shot as above, but it's slightly larger and provides better resolution.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Nando
Nando

That picture gave me a great idea for spectators in terms of viewing angle.

The place where it says tunnel you could put a seats "above" the racetrack facing towads the braking zone.
I think that would provide a nice sense of speed when cars are driving at 300km/h below you then hit the brakes hard a few hundred meters ahead.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

strad

I know it is still early and Xpensive could still avoid eating Nomex, but I can't help but get a bit excited.
Those out of country just can't understand how much it means to the U.S. fans of F1. \:D/
Just to stay on topic I'd love G.A. with the ability to wander cause it looks to me like there will be spots with great views yet far enough away to keep the safe freaks happy.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive
xpensive

While I'm thinking of looking at BA flights in November, but that PSL thing bothers me quite a bit in all honesty?

Can anyone xplain how that really will work for us europeans who wants more than a grass-seat with a hot dog?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Pup
Pup

All we know is that there will be grandstand seating that isn't PSL, but they will be separate from the PSL ones. The PSL stands are on the main straight, turn one, and two at the arena section.

So from the model, it looks like there will be grandstands for non-PSL holders at three locations along the esses, two at the hairpin, one at the arena, and one between turns 19 and 20. That's a guess, of course - three of those stands look different on the model, so they may be some other type of seating.

Prices are supposed to be comparable to Canada. Tickets are supposed to go on sale in a few weeks, but those who have put down a deposit but who declined a PSL are apparently getting first shot.

And BA is supposed to announce a direct flight to Austin if they haven't already. At least that was the talk a few months ago.

Pup
Pup

strad wrote:I'd love G.A. with the ability to wander cause it looks to me like there will be spots with great views yet far enough away to keep the safe freaks happy.
The VP of sales said in a podcast this week that GA will have access to the entire track and infield, with the exception of the reserved seating of course. Just mentioning because someone had said that the GA would be sectioned off and you could only buy a ticket for a specific area.

strad

Man...I'm likin the sound of that.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bhall
bhall

Is the part labeled "Amphitheater" actually going to be an amphitheater, or is that just what they want to call that part of the track? I'm hoping it's the latter, because it looks like just about the best spot in the house.

strad

Hairy...Isn't it real and where they will have a stage...concerts and ceremonies
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

Yes, the amphitheater is real, but there seem to be berms being built to both sides of it. You can see it in the lower right in this photo...

Also of note, there appears to be lumber stacked around the farthest team suite slab, so it looks like we'll have real buildings back there after all.

Pup
Pup

So, we're right at six and a half months to go before the race.

Six and a half months ago we were here...

And that was before the work stopped.

Pretty crazy to think that we're only at the halfway point.