COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

xpensive
xpensive

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

If ticket- and hotel-prices are kept up the way indicated, perhaps neither parking nor exit will be much of a problem?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

strad

too true #-o
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

xpensive wrote:If ticket- and hotel-prices are kept up the way indicated, perhaps neither parking nor exit will be much of a problem?
Doubt it.

strad

I think that the hotel and restaurant folks are shooting themselves in the foot by jacking prices. Short sighted and I think there will be many thousands that will say to themselves...Why pay a fortune and put up with the hassle just to say you were there? Especially when you can get better coverage sitting in your armchair.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive
xpensive

I can of only speak for myself, but the idea of bringing my 13-year old to Texas to let him behold his old man eating the humble pie went down the tube with those hotel prices, the same goes with Cota holding out on tickets for this race only.

bhall
bhall

strad wrote:I think that the hotel and restaurant folks are shooting themselves in the foot by jacking prices. Short sighted and I think there will be many thousands that will say to themselves...Why pay a fortune and put up with the hassle just to say you were there? Especially when you can get better coverage sitting in your armchair.
Having never seen nor heard an F1 car in reality, I would like to do that once before the V8s go the way of the dodo. So, as far as I'm concerned, this circuit has two things going for it: it's close to me, and it looks like most views from the infield will include about 90% of the track.

That said, you're absolutely right. Then again, I've come to expect nothing less than relentless profiteering, even if it flies in the face of sustainability. But, CotA aren't doing prospects for the latter any favors by displaying a stunning lack of foresight.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Hearing now that some black stuff is visible out near turn 1. Don't know yet if it's another sealant application or if it's pavement. WeWillSee.

I may be able to get out there tomorrow to see for myself. If not then, it'll be Monday.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

strad

I know....We'll all stay at Hairys :lol:
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

strad wrote:I know....We'll all stay at Hairys :lol:
Sure, I'm undercutting the hotels. Only $450 a night. :wtf:
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

strad wrote:I think that the hotel and restaurant folks are shooting themselves in the foot by jacking prices. Short sighted and I think there will be many thousands that will say to themselves...Why pay a fortune and put up with the hassle just to say you were there? Especially when you can get better coverage sitting in your armchair.
That's always the question isn't it? Why go to the race/baseball/football/hockey game whenever you can stay at home, watch for free, and have much cheaper beer besides? :lol:

Answer is: It just isn't the same.

The hotel people aren't shooting themselves in the foot. That's how the industry works and always has worked. Come raceday every hotel in the area will be full. The few that aren't will have much better last-minute rates available.
bhallg2k wrote: That said, you're absolutely right. Then again, I've come to expect nothing less than relentless profiteering, even if it flies in the face of sustainability. But, CotA aren't doing prospects for the latter any favors by displaying a stunning lack of foresight.
Well, what's the point of running a business if not to make money? This is no different than any other business dealings centered around a large event. Check prices close to the Super Bowl? STAGGERING cost anywhere within fifty miles of the place.

bhall
bhall

The Super Bowl has been around for 46 years and started from very humble, grassroots beginnings. The Circuit of the Americas doesn't quite exist yet, and there's no guarantee it will host the United States Grand Prix 46 months from now. By pricing itself in the stratosphere, they're doing a lot to assure themselves no chance of sprouting grassroots support. It seems hotels in the area have made the cynical bet that they'd better get the money now, because it probably won't be around in the future.

You'll no doubt point to a tenant of microeconomics that, of course, justifies this sort of price gouging. That seems to be the modus operandi of cutthroat capitalism these days. However, I'd remind you that institutions are built slowly over time and with a long view that engenders a sense of responsibility. Fads like CotA come and go and rarely leave behind any more than trace that they ever existed.

FW17

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

bhallg2k wrote:The Super Bowl has been around for 46 years and started from very humble, grassroots beginnings. The Circuit of the Americas doesn't quite exist yet, and there's no guarantee it will host the United States Grand Prix 46 months from now. By pricing itself in the stratosphere, they're doing a lot to assure themselves no chance of sprouting grassroots support. It seems hotels in the area have made the cynical bet that they'd better get the money now, because it probably won't be around in the future.

You'll no doubt point to a tenant of microeconomics that, of course, justifies this sort of price gouging. That seems to be the modus operandi of cutthroat capitalism these days. However, I'd remind you that institutions are built slowly over time and with a long view that engenders a sense of responsibility. Fads like CotA come and go and rarely leave behind any more than trace that they ever existed.
The Super Bowl is the event. It moves around from place to place. F1 is the event. It moves around from place to place. F1 has existed for over fifty years. The venue does not matter. The idea that a circuit somehow needs history is utterly laughable. Hungaroring has history. Doesn't make it any more interesting.

Again, this isn't price gouging. If they are filling their reservation books then they are obviously pricing what the market will allow. THAT is smart business practice. It is not essential for you or anyone else to go the race. It is a luxury. Luxuries cost money. They may be pricing you (and me, for that matter) out of the loop but oh well... I'll just stay home, be warm, and watch on my 42" flatscreen while drinking as many Shiners as a ticket would have cost. :lol:

bhall
bhall

bhallg2k wrote:You'll no doubt point to a tenant of microeconomics that, of course, justifies this sort of price gouging.
If only CotA possessed a similar ability to see into the future...

xpensive
xpensive

At least the air fare from Stockholm to Austin, with BA and American over Heathrow and Dallas, is reasonable. Some 8000 SEK, which is less than 1200 USD, but that's flying ape of course, human-class is a different matter.

The problem seems thus to be with accommodation and race-tickets, where I wonder if the former is to some xtent an american phenomena, never heard about hotel-prices quadrupling for an event such as this, been to the Montreal race a couple of times over the years and I never had the same problem with downtown hotels?

Anyway, with lodging at Hairy's Hilton, we should all be ok I guess, will that be an "all inclusive"?