COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Pup
Pup

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Mass Gathering Permit approved. No link yet.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

http://www.f1technical.net/news/17411 wrote: General Admission: $159
Grandstand - Turn 11: $269
Grandstand - Turns 2, 3, 4 and 5: $299
Grandstand - Turn 12 (lower rows): $399
Grandstand - Turn 12 (upper rows) : $499
Last edited by Steven on 06 Jun 2012, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced with link to our own news item

bhall
bhall

$159 isn't too bad. I'd love to have the option for a race-day-only ticket, because I'm not about to drive back and forth from Houston all weekend, nor am I going to pay the metric ----ton of money required for lodging in Austin, but I suppose I can justify spending $160 for my first live F1 experience.

Pup
Pup

I see that the shuttle price is included with the tickets.

CotA's seating map...

I guess the grey stands are future?

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

The price is inline with Montreal prices IIRC. Which isn't terrible. I'd imagine lodging is not that different neither. Montreal does have a good subway system that lets you not have to worry about driving at all. I recall Indy's ticket was much cheaper, but I think thats more of an anomaly...

SeijaKessen

Another masterpiece by Herman Tilke.

I don't know how does it...it has to be difficult to come up with new designs all the time that really test the F1 cars.

godlameroso

Tilke ended up washing his hands of the whole thing. It puzzles me because Tilke is a motor-head, he drives on the Nurburgring regularly, and yet a lot of his tracks(not all) are just bad. It might be that he does the best he can with what he's given but putting chicanes doesn't make good racing, it just slows down the cars enough so you can see the sponsorship on them.
Saishū kōnā

alpen
alpen

I've looked a couple of times in the last month and can't find nearly any hotel availability...anyone else noticing this? The one's that are available are crazy expensive for very average hotels.

SeijaKessen

godlameroso wrote:Tilke ended up washing his hands of the whole thing. It puzzles me because Tilke is a motor-head, he drives on the Nurburgring regularly, and yet a lot of his tracks(not all) are just bad. It might be that he does the best he can with what he's given but putting chicanes doesn't make good racing, it just slows down the cars enough so you can see the sponsorship on them.
I wish I had his e-mail address.

I'd be compelled to compose a message regarding his fantastic track design.

bhall
bhall

The video game on-board gives the impression that this track is a sort of lovechild of Istanbul Park and Korean International. In other words, the drivers are probably going to have a field day, but I don't necessarily know what that means in terms of "action."

However, I must say that its layout appears ideal for fans in attendance who should be able to see 90-95% of the track from every vantage point. I think that's important for an American audience that's not accustomed to being deprived of the whole picture.

@alpen Yeah, what you see is what you get as far as accommodations are concerned. Hotels, motels, and probably even camp grounds really seem to be bending people over for this one.

Shrieker

The game looks just awful. It seems it doesn't do any justice to the track. I'll wait till I see an actual onboard before giving the final verdict.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:The video game on-board gives the impression that this track is a sort of lovechild of Istanbul Park and Korean International. In other words, the drivers are probably going to have a field day, but I don't necessarily know what that means in terms of "action."
Agreed 110% on the first part. I'm not thinking it will be the most action packed circuit on the calendar, but there's a few good places to overtake. I've seen some onboards from r-factor I think a few months ago and they did the track no justice. This looks very good! I'm excited for November.

Pup
Pup

SeijaKessen wrote:I wish I had his e-mail address.
berniefan1@gmail.com