Canadian GP 2010 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mangesh
mangesh

Re: Canadian GP 2010 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

As this is low downforce circuit, it would be interesting to see force india with its straight line speed. Remember in Malaysian gp sutil gave hard time to hamilton and even he could not overtake sutil with maclarens F-duct :mrgreen:
Even it would be iteresting to see if FI could get its SRW working :evil: .

marcush.
marcush.

as you don´t know about how the plot evolves in a race ...bad start ,puncture,sc,rain,opposition strong or weak,having to run in the pack or alone,strong headon winds etc etc.it seems rather dumb not clever to optimise just for best elapsed time and rely on your opponents to do the same...inoring that you could perhaps not be in the position to dictate the race...
So assuming redBull has enough capacity and they´d filled at least one car up it still would haave been a win as macs had to save fuel as early as them...on their side i understand why they did it ,though and it worked.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

dannyteasdale wrote:Ratatouille - Whats the views on the MP4-25 for the Canadian GP - Thinking strong/weak - where will it excel?
I think they will be in a league of their own in Canada. I also expect Renault to do especially well there, given their high numbers thru the speed traps.

dannyteasdale
dannyteasdale

BreezyRacer wrote:
dannyteasdale wrote:Ratatouille - Whats the views on the MP4-25 for the Canadian GP - Thinking strong/weak - where will it excel?
I think they will be in a league of their own in Canada. I also expect Renault to do especially well there, given their high numbers thru the speed traps.
Providing Hamilton doesn't plant his nose into someone else gearbox!! :lol:

donskar
donskar

BreezyRacer wrote:
Question: do both of you assume that Red Bull will NOT have an effective f duct for Canada? IF they do, that should help cut McL's top end advantage.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

MikeFromCanada

donskar wrote: Question: do both of you assume that Red Bull will NOT have an effective f duct for Canada? IF they do, that should help cut McL's top end advantage.
Red Bull "advisor" Dr. Helmut Marko claims it was not perfect, and will be brought back again in Valencia.

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport ... 19139.html

godlameroso

I seriously think Renault could be a dark horse in Canada, the fastest corner is easily taken flat out by everyone. More than anything you need a car that can ride the curbs well. Mechanical grip is far more important, especially since you need it to come out of the corners. Turns 3 and 4 are the only ones that could possibly give the bulls an advantage, turn 8 comes after a heavy breaking zone and there are cars on the grid which are better than the bulls in this respect.
Saishū kōnā

Donuts

Re: Renault R30

How important will the F-duct be in Montreal? This is a low-downforce(?) circuit, which means the rear wing is totally different and other areas are changes as well. The F-duct is the solution to minimize drag without losing downforce, but(!) the rear wing is much different(smaller), will it work togheter with the F-duct? Will teams really put that much work into F-duct for low-downforce rear wing?
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 03 Jun 2010, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Brought this and Marcush's post below from the R30 thread.
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

univex
univex

A bit like the old Hockenheim (much better than the current one), flat out with a few chicanes and one easy hairpin. This will be a pointer to Monza.
Being such a low drag circuit the fDuct won't be as effective, as they will be stalling off a very flat wing to begin with, although it could allow them to run more rake for gain at the hairpin but that's all.
Top speed and fuel efficiency will count. RB probably won't even get pole.
Can Macca reverse the switching on the fDuct? Probably more useful to leave the stall on and switch to full downforce when you block the hole.:)

marcush.
marcush.

Re: Renault R30

especially on a low downforce track you can benefit .Canada has a lot of corners where you want a lot of downforce helping you ,but you cannot afford to carry it because of the long straights.With f-duct you possibly can have some extra downforce but still be in the target with top speed.
the tracks where F-duct is not doing much is when you do not have long straights..Monaco ,for example .

Donuts

Where was RK looking at top speed in Turkey? I know RK had third fastest speed into apex curve 8...
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

With a long straight it is an advantage to have low downforce. So teams without f-duct set their rear wing to low downforce (& low drag). McLaren can set their wing a bit higher than the others & rely on f-duct to give them the same drag as the others on the straight but in the corners they will have better grip. (Actually they will set it so that they have a small advantage on the straight but a bigger advantage in the corners).

Is that not what we saw in Turkey? The McLaren was brilliant in the corners catching up to the Red Bull. It was just the sweeper #8 where Red Bull blitzed them.

myurr
myurr

tok-tokkie wrote:Is that not what we saw in Turkey? The McLaren was brilliant in the corners catching up to the Red Bull. It was just the sweeper #8 where Red Bull blitzed them.
I think that is precisely what we saw in Turkey - although it's hard to know how much Red Bull 'blitzed' them in turn 8 as the McLaren's were running in the dirty air after all. I'm sure Red Bull held a bit of an advantage there in the race, but it was possibly exaggerated by the McLaren's following in their wake.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I thought it was the opposite in Turkey, most corner at Turkey aside from Turn 8 was medium to low speed corners(turn 2 and turn 11 are "almost straight" for F1 cars). Most corners had slower entry speed, and McLaren was gaining on them a lot on corner exit and short sprints between slow corners. But once downforce takes serious hold in Turn8 the Redbull just romps away....Canada IMO will give McLaren a serious advantage if RBR did not have a working F-Duct to gain some straightline speed back, since Canada has no high speed corner to speak of at all....

raymondu999

Robert_Kubica wrote:Where was RK looking at top speed in Turkey? I know RK had third fastest speed into apex curve 8...
Couldn't you have seen it right on your steering wheel? Honor to speak to you, btw :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法