Strange going-ons at Red Bull

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Is Webber being sabotaged by RB management?

Poll ended at 07 Jun 2010, 15:03

Yes
33%
Maybe
29%
Unlikely
24%
no way
14%

Total votes: 70

gibells
gibells

Re: Strange going-ons at Red Bull

Vettel: Note to self for next race- you have FOUR wheels!

Numb-nuts

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Dr. Helmut Marko will not be so happy to see an Aussie whooping the young Wunderkind's behind. He will have to explain this to his fellow Austrian paymaster's as to how the unthinkable has happened.

I wouldnt put it past Red Bull to be moving Webbo aside in order for Vettel to win.
And how the Team got behind Vettel and blamed Mark is horrendous.
I would be livid.....
More could have been done.
David Purley

WhiteBlue

I wish people would stop writing this rubbish.

Marko in an inept way tried to impose team order because Vettel was briefly faster than Webber due to a bit more fuel and better tyres. But that was by no means a sustainable advantage and so I'm not surprised he could not make his point to Horner and Mark's race engineer.

Vettel probably thought that Mark would be told to let him go by. Next Mark defends pretty robust and almost shuts the door on Vettel but almost is not saying he really did it and the plain fact is they did not crash on Marks move during the first part of the pass. Next Vettel is the one who moves on Mark and big surprise! Mark wasn't told to let him pass and retaliation on Marks move this time ended in tears.

Bottom line: Vettel gets provoked and probably expected to be given preference by the team but did not get it. They crashed due to Vettels move and not due to Marks move which puts most of the blame on Vettel.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

FW17

WhiteBlue wrote:I wish people would stop writing this rubbish.

Marko in an inept way tried to impose team order because Vettel was briefly faster than Webber due to a bit more fuel and better tyres. But that was by no means a sustainable advantage and so I'm not surprised he could not make his point to Horner and Mark's race engineer.

Vettel probably thought that Mark would be told to let him go by. Next Mark defends pretty robust and almost shuts the door on Vettel but almost is not saying he really did it and the plain fact is they did not crash on Marks move during the first part of the pass. Next Vettel is the one who moves on Mark and big surprise! Mark wasn't told to let him pass and retaliation on Marks move this time ended in tears.

Bottom line: Vettel gets provoked and probably expected to be given preference by the team but did not get it. They crashed due to Vettels move and not due to Marks move which puts most of the blame on Vettel.

WB any driver knows that the driver in front dictates the line into a corner, in this case it was vettel, who was ahead by a few wheel lengths. A guy in front can cut across as much as he wants (as mark did) and it is the guy behind who has to get out of the way.

PS: Mark was so pathatic in the post race meeting trying to work the press to his side just LH did after Hungary 2007.

snowy
snowy

any driver knows that the driver in front dictates the line into a corner, in this case it was vettel, who was ahead by a few wheel lengths. A guy in front can cut across as much as he wants (as mark did) and it is the guy behind who has to get out of the way.
I don't think any driver worth his paycheck is aware of this rather spurious interpretation of the art of motor racing.

gibells
gibells

Vettel had plenty of fuel left atfer his pass on Webber. :wink:

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

I believe that Webber also had enough fuel for the race and maybe that's what he means when he says to dig deeper. If his car didn't need to save fuel, especially when his teammate was setting him up for a pass, then you have to say that RBR management planned this out to favor Vettel.

db__

Q. You chose to come out of the garage for your final flying lap ahead of Sebastian. The previous lap you would have been behind Sebastian. Was that trying to put pressure on him at that stage?

MW: No, I don't know what happened. It should have been me second. But, anyway, I think we left too early. I don't know what happened. We need to see what happened on the pit wall. Normally I would go second this weekend.
This quote is from the post qualifying press conference - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84001. So it looks like MW thinks that something may have been going on in the RB garage all weekend.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

WhiteBlue wrote:. Next Mark defends pretty robust and almost shuts the door on Vettel
We usually agree right? But...

...did Webber "shut the door"? :wtf:
I saw no steering movements to suggest that...my first impression was Vettel was at fault and the more I see it the more I think my first impression was correct.

Secondly Marko makes almost no secret of the fact he prefers Vettel to Webber. Even yesterday he was lambasting Webber! This is very very poor on behalf of Red Bull...
More could have been done.
David Purley

Richard
Richard

BreezyRacer wrote:I believe that Webber also had enough fuel for the race
gibells wrote:Vettel had plenty of fuel left atfer his pass on Webber. :wink:
*sigh* I wish I had your telepathic skills to read the fuel gauges on those cars.

wesley123
wesley123

richard, i dont think gibells post was that serious, afterall after he overtook webber he crashed, so he had plenty of fuel left, im pretty usre his tank wasnt empty then
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

richard_leeds wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote:I believe that Webber also had enough fuel for the race
gibells wrote:Vettel had plenty of fuel left atfer his pass on Webber. :wink:
*sigh* I wish I had your telepathic skills to read the fuel gauges on those cars.
Just look at the lap times Webber turned after the collision .. that ain't ESP! He sure wasn't running any slower than the McLarens, and on pace with the Mercs behind him, even though he had room to slow and still finish ahead of them.

But it doesn't matter really .. I think the real answer to this is how or why Webber suddenly was ordered to slow before the contact. My FEELING is that he was ordered slower, he complies, and then radios back, "well you ought to slow Seb too then" when he realizes that Vettel is still going full tilt, only to realize then that the jig is up and he has been set up by his own team.

WhiteBlue

WilliamsF1 wrote:WB any driver knows that the driver in front dictates the line into a corner, in this case it was vettel, who was ahead by a few wheel lengths. A guy in front can cut across as much as he wants (as mark did) and it is the guy behind who has to get out of the way.
I believe that you are mistaken there. As long as the car is not fully ahead a driver must consider the competitor in a fair contest. Webber gave Vettel just enough room but Vettel did not.
db__ wrote:
Q. You chose to come out of the garage for your final flying lap ahead of Sebastian. The previous lap you would have been behind Sebastian. Was that trying to put pressure on him at that stage?

MW: No, I don't know what happened. It should have been me second. But, anyway, I think we left too early. I don't know what happened. We need to see what happened on the pit wall. Normally I would go second this weekend.
This quote is from the post qualifying press conference - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84001. So it looks like MW thinks that something may have been going on in the RB garage all weekend.
Sorry to say that, but this is close to paranoia. Fact is Mark did not know why they changed the order of leaving the garage. It could have been anything.
BreezyRacer wrote:I believe that Webber also had enough fuel for the race and maybe that's what he means when he says to dig deeper. If his car didn't need to save fuel, especially when his teammate was setting him up for a pass, then you have to say that RBR management planned this out to favor Vettel.
Why don't we use the facts that were provided by the team here. I don't think that Horner would obviously lie in such a situation to the press. He said that both men started on exactly the same fuel load and that on lap 40 Vettel had 1 kg more fuel on board due to often running in the slip stream while Webber was leading the race. He also said that Vettel would have received the fuel save signal one lap later. That is pretty much in line what Red Bull had done in all the other races. They expected to be able to open a gap early and and throttle back towards the end of the race. This is why they gave both drivers a fuel load that would not have got them through the race on full tilt. I do not see a reason why we should not believe what Horner told us. It correlates with all other facts and what the drivers said.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Richard
Richard

wesley123 wrote:richard, i dont think gibells post was that serious, afterall after he overtook webber he crashed, so he had plenty of fuel left, im pretty usre his tank wasnt empty then
#-o sily me. That's actually a funny post now I read it in context!

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

WhiteBlue wrote:Why don't we use the facts that were provided by the team here. I don't think that Horner would obviously lie in such a situation to the press. He said that both men started on exactly the same fuel load and that on lap 40 Vettel had 1 kg more fuel on board due to often running in the slip stream while Webber was leading the race. He also said that Vettel would have received the fuel save signal one lap later. That is pretty much in line what Red Bull had done in all the other races. They expected to be able to open a gap early and and throttle back towards the end of the race. This is why they gave both drivers a fuel load that would not have got them through the race on full tilt. I do not see a reason why we should not believe what Horner told us. It correlates with all other facts and what the drivers said.
Excuse me but why would you believe anything that Horner said about this event. His comments have been tainted from the beginning, immediately blaming Webber, like saying at first they were on the same fuel maps, and consoling his pretty boy Vettel on the pit wall. After those actions it becomes quite evident that Horner has a predisposed and incorrect position on the incident.