Secret to Red Bull's Q3 Pace - Engine Mapping

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
rjsa
rjsa

Re: Secret to Red Bull's Q3 Pace

Belatti wrote:That would Does RBR engineer the engine on their own? How does the people at France doesnt know about it? How doesnt the Renault team has this feature?
I'd believe the last mile - the SECU programming - would be RBR's job. I can think at least of start sequence and gear shifts as pices of sofware teams would design and keep to themselves in case of customer engines.

mep

ringo

sums it up pretty much.
For Sure!!

ggajic
ggajic

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

Also, this might explain why RBR was so dominant in qualifying:

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article. ... 6408&FS=F1

But it might just be plain speculation.

Jonsson
Jonsson

Is this too ridiculous to believe?

In order to maintain constant air flow through the diffuser during low revs, the teams look to the ballast for the answer. Constructors normally use a tungsten ballast located at the lowest point on the car to maintain the lowest possible center of gravity. With a 620 kg minimum, a pre-ballast car weight around 420 kg, and factoring in driver weight ~70 kg, Red Bull saw around 130 kg of weight to deal with the rev-dependent air flow through its diffuser. Instead of a solid tungsten ballast, Red Bull may be utilizing computer controlled, variably discharged according to engine rev, highly compressed air tanks where the ballast is normally located. Although there is no possible way to make this method last a whole race, it is possible for two or three laps in Q3.

xpensive
xpensive

I'm sorry, but from what I can understand from the pictures of the RBR, I simply cannot get my head around the terminolgy.

The way I can see things, the exhausts passes beside and on top of the diverging diffuser, not through or into the same?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

autogyro
autogyro

I believe that much of this discusion on how the exhaust is used to increase downforce from the diffuser and keep it constant are mostly grasping at straws.
I think Adrian Newey is way ahead of this and more attention should be paid to looking for other ways of increasing mass flow to the diffuser and to keeping ride height constant.
I know one thing, Horner can make people believe lots of things.

ringo

xpensive wrote:I'm sorry, but from what I can understand from the pictures of the RBR, I simply cannot get my head around the terminolgy.

The way I can see things, the exhausts passes beside and on top of the diverging diffuser, not through or into the same?
Some of the flow passes through the upper deck. Passing through is more effective than over. It seems the other teams simply don't have a tight enough back end to find room for the flow to pass through the upper deck, so they settle for the on top flow.
For Sure!!

Belatti
Belatti

747heavy wrote:may you find some answers & ideas about this topic here.
Enjoy

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=132030
How nice! You promote another forum instead of just posting what you know here?
[-X

And BTW, Whiteblue polluting another forum? Finally! We can send you many many members from here :P
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Jonsson
Jonsson

autogyro wrote:I believe that much of this discusion on how the exhaust is used to increase downforce from the diffuser and keep it constant are mostly grasping at straws.
I think Adrian Newey is way ahead of this and more attention should be paid to looking for other ways of increasing mass flow to the diffuser and to keeping ride height constant.
I know one thing, Horner can make people believe lots of things.

I think you're absolutely right. The RB6 has been set up from the beginning of the season to be very well balanced, sometimes sacrificing reliability during the race to maintain precision balance during qualifying. From the positioning of the brake calipers to the more recent blown rear wing and diffuser, Adrian Newey has combined CFD data with his own invaluable instinct to gain the qualifying advantage.

xpensive
xpensive

ringo wrote:
xpensive wrote:I'm sorry, but from what I can understand from the pictures of the RBR, I simply cannot get my head around the terminolgy.

Some of the flow passes through the upper deck. Passing through is more effective than over. It seems the other teams simply don't have a tight enough back end to find room for the flow to pass through the upper deck, so they settle for the on top flow.

Again, from the pics, it still looks as if the exits are located on the sides of the body's waist and not thru anything at all?

marcush.
marcush.

there are pictures here where you can clearly see there is a window inthe upper deck aprox 400mm after the exit of the exhaust feeding the upper deck difusser.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

The car still rides different to the others...however they are doing the load leveling it is still at work I think. You can hear it on the on board lap during qualifying in Valencia that the car is still bottoming on the track on low-fuel qualifying run....

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

xpensive wrote:Again, from the pics, it still looks as if the exits are located on the sides of the body's waist and not thru anything at all?
Here you go, the hole into the upper deck of the diffuser. The size of the window was recently increased.

xpensive
xpensive

Boy, that's a wide..opening...