Mclaren set up problems in Practice 2? or generally slow?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Mclaren set up problems in Practice 2? or generally slow

McLaren can't win either title if Red Bull can get both drivers to consistently finish near the front. At the moment the RB drivers are alternating good drives with bad drives and that is preventing them from using the car advantage. Hamilton is leading the drivers' title race because he is finishing consistently well while the two Red Bull guys take turns throwing points in to the weeds.

Should McLaren ever get their car to within a couple of tenths of the Red Bull then they may be able to steal both titles from Red Bull.

If Red Bull can maintain the several tenths advantage they had in qualifying at Silverstone then they have no one to fear but themselves.

The title is Red Bull's to lose even though they are currently second in the tables.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

internetf1fan
internetf1fan

The more and more you look like it, I was right. McLaren has fallen into the same trap that many teams fell for at the start of the season with the F-duct. Looks like McLaren is spending all their resources on the blown diffuser while ignoring their normal upgrade paths. I don't like the way they're putting all their eggs in one basket, especially at this cruicial point in season.

vall
vall

internetf1fan wrote:The more and more you look like it, I was right. McLaren has fallen into the same trap that many teams fell for at the start of the season with the F-duct. Looks like McLaren is spending all their resources on the blown diffuser while ignoring their normal upgrade paths. I don't like the way they're putting all their eggs in one basket, especially at this cruicial point in season.
yes,yes, we know, they should stick the KERS in and blow everyone away :lol:

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

internetf1fan wrote:The more and more you look like it, I was right. McLaren has fallen into the same trap that many teams fell for at the start of the season with the F-duct. Looks like McLaren is spending all their resources on the blown diffuser while ignoring their normal upgrade paths. I don't like the way they're putting all their eggs in one basket, especially at this cruicial point in season.
I agree completely. But maybe McLaren are convinced that they need to have the blown diffuser working in order to stay near the top. If they don't, their nearest competitors just might walk away from them in the last half of the season.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

ringo

what's their normal upgrade path exaclty? :wink:
And is it as substantial as the ebd?

I think the ebd is easily first priority, little flick ups here and there and new floors aren't going to bring as much as the ebd or f duct,
For Sure!!

segedunum
segedunum

internetf1fan wrote:Looks like McLaren is spending all their resources on the blown diffuser while ignoring their normal upgrade paths. I don't like the way they're putting all their eggs in one basket, especially at this cruicial point in season.
They have to concentrate on it because they need downforce. They can't just concentrate on trying to get a 50 km/h speed advantage or something. It pays back very little and it won't win them the championship.

internetf1fan
internetf1fan

ringo wrote:
what's their normal upgrade path exaclty? :wink:
And is it as substantial as the ebd?
First priority would be to improve their mechanical grip. McLarens have always been famous for their bump and kerb riding ability as well as traction out of slow corners. That's why even their worst cars have been competitive in street tracks etc...

On the other hand, McLarens have been average at aero. The thing is, this year they have ditched their mechanical grip and seem to have stayed average at aero as well. If they're going to compete with RBR and Ferrari on pure aero, they are not going to win.

Pierce89

vall wrote:
yes,yes, we know, they should stick the KERS in and blow everyone away :lol:
They've been running KERS all season, that's where the top speed comes from. Just don't tell FOTA :wink:
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

internetf1fan
internetf1fan

KERS of course would have been great. But for some reason McLaren are too pussy to offend the other teams...

internetf1fan
internetf1fan

Now that Ferrari have given fans and other teams a big FU via such blatant race manipulation, I hope McLaren have the balls to step up and give Ferrari a big FU with KERS.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

internetf1fan wrote:Now that Ferrari have given fans and other teams a big FU via such blatant race manipulation, I hope McLaren have the balls to step up and give Ferrari a big FU with KERS.
You really don't get it do you? Even if they wanted to, McLaren couldn't add KERS to the car this year because there's nowhere to put it on the car. The cars are so tightly packaged that you can't suddenly find yourself a couple of cubic feet of volume to put kit in to. And you'd need to redesign the fuel tank to accommodate the motor/generator - which would mean a new tub and they are homologated for the season.

And don't forget that the KERS system they were using last year was (partly?) Mercedes' system (albeit made for them by a third party). To use it they would need Mercedes' permission and how likely is that to happen?

internetf1fan
internetf1fan

1)They can get KERS from someone else.
2)If they can rebuild the entire rear end to accomodate the EBD, then they can fit a KERS in there as well. Remember that there was a lot of progress with the size and weight of the KERS device last year.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

internetf1fan wrote:1)They can get KERS from someone else.
2)If they can rebuild the entire rear end to accomodate the EBD, then they can fit a KERS in there as well. Remember that there was a lot of progress with the size and weight of the KERS device last year.
1. Who else makes a proven F1 KERS? Ferrari and Renault. Neither are likely to play along are they?
2. The best one was Merc's and it weighed +/-25kg. Sticking that much mass in to a current car would not be simple. Where would you put it so that it didn't affect the weight balance or cause the aero packaging to be compromised?