No more Monaco?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Should Monaco remain on the calendar?

Yes - They should continue as is.
64%
Yes - They should pay a fee and remain.
20%
No - Drop Monaco from the calendar.
16%

Total votes: 70

WhiteBlue

Re: No more Monaco?

andrew wrote:And that requires laughter does it? [-X
It took you three pages and ten postings to arrive at a conclusion that took me one. Yes, I think that was funny.

We should all know by now how Bernie operates and how he manipulates the media for his purposes.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

There are better ways to point out someones over sight than trying to make them look like a wally. [-X

andrew
andrew

hollus wrote:Subject: No more Monaco?
andrew wrote:
Ciro Pabón wrote:I was going to mock people that propose some tracks, but then I thought: "poor souls, they have no idea what a Class 1 track is". If I had the time... sigh.
For my list above, I was aware of this and should have caveated my post that I was working on the assumption that they all had this (though I know the A1 Ring is a mess).
Or, if you were aware of the class limitation, you could have checked which ones are in the right category before posting. We (hundreds of us) spend time reading your posts, so it is better that you spend 5 minutes checking it before posting than that all us us spend 60 seconds pondering which of those would have it, which are plain ***; and filtering your posts in our minds for what you knew or didn't know and what you really meant.
Don't misinterpret me, this place is crowded, reading all posts takes an inordinate amount of time (I have the feeling you do it too?), so if the poster restraints himself and makes his proper research, we all benefit.
Updated race wishlist as per Hollus's request above. I have endevoured to find out which tracks are Class 1 rated, which are 1T rated and which have nothing. Anyone with further information please let me know and I can update this, although it is just a personnal wishlist.

2010 Calender:

Bahrain GP - Bahrain International Circuit**
Australian GP - Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit**
Malaysian GP - Sepang International Circuit**
Chinese GP - Shanghai International Circuit**
Spanish GP - Circuit de Catalunya**
Monaco GP - Circuit de Monaco**
Turkish GP - Istanbul Park**
Canadian GP - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve**
Europe European GP - Valencia Street Circuit**
British GP - Silverstone Circuit**
German GP - Hockenheimring**
Hungarian GP – Hungaroring**
Belgian GP - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps**
Italian GP - Autodromo Nazionale Monza**
Singapore GP - Marina Bay Street Circuit**
Japanese GP - Suzuka Circuit**
Korean GP - Korean International Circuit - Undecided
Brazilian GP - Autódromo José Carlos Pace **
Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina Circuit**

Races that should be kept in black.
Races that should be dropped in red.

Instead, F1 should go to the Nurburgring**, Imola* (the original mans version, not the watered down version with pointless chicanes), Laguna Seca, A1 Ring, Donington, Fuji Speedway, Estoril, Magny-Cours, Autódromo Oscar Alfredo Gálvez and Zandvoort. The Le Mans circuit might be too long but that would be something.

** = Class 1 track rating
* = 1T rating

alberto222mx

andrew wrote: Instead, F1 should go to the Nurburgring**, Imola* (the original mans version, not the watered down version with pointless chicanes), Laguna Seca, A1 Ring, Donington, Fuji Speedway, Estoril, Magny-Cours, Autódromo Oscar Alfredo Gálvez and Zandvoort. The Le Mans circuit might be too long but that would be something.
I would add the Autódromo Hermanos Rodriguez :)
We want Formula 1 in México after almost 20 years....
"Why doesn´t someone tell Pedro it´s raining" - Chris Amon, 1000km Brands Hatch, 1970

andrew
andrew

alberto222mx - Thanks. I've never actually seen any racing there apart from youtube clips. What I saw looked good though but it was footage from the early 90s.

Given the size of South, Central and North America (inc Canada), I am surprised that there are only 2 races over there. Never really thought of it unti I pulled together my wishlist of tracks.

D'Leh
D'Leh

andrew wrote:Instead, F1 should go to the Nurburgring**, Imola* (the original mans version, not the watered down version with pointless chicanes), Laguna Seca, A1 Ring, Donington, Fuji Speedway, Estoril, Magny-Cours, Autódromo Oscar Alfredo Gálvez and Zandvoort. The Le Mans circuit might be too long but that would be something.
Nothing against Imola, but reading this makes me wonder what your page 1 statement of cars being too fast for Monaco meant. Because "original man's version" of Imola is faster and a lot more dangerous than Monaco.

At topic; of course Monaco should stay. It is unique in many ways. And if you are a true fan of the sport then you would know, that the thrill in Monaco is more than anywhere else: it's not over till it's over. Everything can happen and it quite often does.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Monaco signed up for another 10 years.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 11085.html
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

manchild
manchild

When I reacted on andrew's and some other suggestions, I had in mind following:

Let me use a metaphor...

Jumping in F1/GP fan boat after a century of racing in Monaco, and calling for Monaco to be removed from calendar for the sake of some Tilke-rubbish-third-world-no-charisma circuit, equals becoming boss at Louvre, and saying "Mona Lisa is outdated, let's replace it with Lady Gaga poster."

Respect man, respect!

There are changeable things, and there are sacred ones that must remain unchanged, because if they are changed than everything looses essence and meaning.

Belatti
Belatti

manchild wrote:
Jumping in F1/GP fan boat after a century of racing in Monaco, and calling for Monaco to be removed from calendar for the sake of some Tilke-rubbish-third-world-no-charisma circuit, equals becoming boss at Louvre, and saying "Mona Lisa is outdated, let's replace it with Lady Gaga poster."

Respect man, respect!
=D>
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

andrew
andrew

manchild wrote:When I reacted on andrew's and some other suggestions, I had in mind following:

Let me use a metaphor...

Respect man, respect!

There are changeable things, and there are sacred ones that must remain unchanged, because if they are changed than everything looses essence and meaning.
If you would care to read my suggested alternatives, you will see a lack of Tilke-droms that I actually like. To me Monaco is just a piece of tarmac albeit with a bit of history.

History is fine if I want a nice story but I don't watch the F1 and think "wow this track had a good race in 1985 or whenever". I want to watch an exciting close race not take a stroll down memory lane. Circuits like Monaco are just growing more and more outdated for modern F1 racing.

If Monaco was dropped from the F1 calender, I sincerely doubt that F1 would loose any essence and meaning. If anything it would clear some space for an actual race at a proper circuit like Imola (if it can get Class 1 status) or the return of F1 to Argentina or Mexico or another location where it once was and is no longer.

WhiteBlue

10 year deal for Monaco. Storm in a tea cup as usual before a deal.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 28 Jul 2010, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Richard
Richard

So Monaco is now signed up after only a week of Bernie posturing. Why did he let it resolve so quickly? I guess he's got a lot in common with short billionaires marrying tall glamorous women?

andrew
andrew

Publicity for both? What were the attendance figures for this year (the paying ones not the rich folk with convienient balconies) compared with previous years?

Any clues as to a reliable source?

Giblet
Giblet

The tickets for all the grandstands and general admission sold out completely.

I remember looking at a ticket booking site before the race.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew
andrew

I was think this might have just been PR but clearly not.

Just seems to have all been settled extremely quick.