Hungarian GP 2010 - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
alberto222mx

Re: Hungarian GP 2010 - Hungaroring

I agree Schumacher did deserve the penalty but I agree too with WB that Barrichello tried to put the car where there wasn´t space, in the above picture looks clearly when Barrichello was behind MS there wasn´t enough space between the Merc and the white line.
I would say was a very dangerous maneuver from both, and the penalty is well deserved for MS, but Barrichello deserve a penalty as well.
"Why doesn´t someone tell Pedro it´s raining" - Chris Amon, 1000km Brands Hatch, 1970

marcush.
marcush.

you have a basic misconception here.
schumachers actions were not aimed at Rubens ,for him it did not make any difference,I think,apart from :I know this guy long enough he has good judgement and i can give No quarter as he will undoubtedly take a half chance ...and rubens did something for his own and won a point for williams .this will elevate his position in the team no question..
and hey schumacher did apologise ...so he has found a soft side in himself.
Last edited by marcush. on 02 Aug 2010, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

Pierce89

ajams wrote:
manchild wrote: RB was with all 4 wheels off the track. Fact that it was tarmac doesn't mean that it is is track.

Area between pitwall and white line isn't track. Scumaker pushed him completely offtrack.
Like Kubica did to Alonso a couple of weeks ago? :wink:
+1 Exactly like Kubica did to Alonso a couple of weeks ago.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Giblet
Giblet

Not even close to exactly the same. What Kubica did was stick to the proper racing line in a corner and shut the door. This MS RB incident happened on a straight before a corner.

Apples and oranges.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

PlatinumZealot

Rob W wrote:segedunum:

You saved me from posting in reply to WhiteBlue. Thanks. There is no point in trying to debate when people so consistently take any disagreement as an attack on their person/intelligence or otherwise.

As it stands all of the drivers who've mentioned this incident as well as the stewards think Schumy was in the wrong here - other than Schumy of course. He is probably the most famous bad sport in the world and he surely knows this and his nature is to never back-down or admit wrongdoing.
It's very funny that you say that because he has watched the video Schumacher himself has admitted that he was wrong. I wonder if his die hard fans will change their minds too? :lol:
"Yesterday, straight after the race, I was still in the heat of the moment, but after seeing the scene against Rubens again, I have got to say that the stewards are right with their judgment: the manoeuvre against him was too severe," he said.

"I obviously wanted to make it difficult for him to overtake me and I also showed him clearly that I did not want to let him past, but obviously I did not want to endanger him with my manoeuvre. If he feels this way, then sorry, that was not my intention."
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

marcush.
marcush.

ah comeon that webber kovalainenn incident would have gone ballistic if schumacher was in webbos plöace.. wouldn´t it?
he misjudged the situation got punished and life goes on.barrichello threw a steeringwheel
onto the racing line ...he would have deserved a severe punishment for that.
no angels to be found in the paddock

komninosm
komninosm

Rob W wrote:segedunum:

You saved me from posting in reply to WhiteBlue. Thanks. There is no point in trying to debate when people so consistently take any disagreement as an attack on their person/intelligence or otherwise.

As it stands all of the drivers who've mentioned this incident as well as the stewards think Schumy was in the wrong here - other than Schumy of course. He is probably the most famous bad sport in the world and he surely knows this and his nature is to never back-down or admit wrongdoing.
Actually :

Schumacher: I crossed the line with Barrichello move

“Yesterday right after the race I was still in the heat of the moment, but after I watched the scene with Rubens again, I must say that the stewards were right in their assessment - the manoeuvre against him was too hard,” he told his official website.

So tell WB his hero has forsaken him. WB your bias is obvious. Please give it a rest or be a big man and admit you're wrong.

Then again Shoemaker added:
“Of course I wanted to make it difficult for him to overtake and I showed him clearly that I didn’t want to let him down the inside, but I wasn’t trying to endanger him with my manoeuvre. If he felt that way, then sorry, that was not my intention.”

So he does double-talk as usual... I just can't bring my self to love him. He sucks. [-X :^o

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

So there's Michael, cruising to a tenth place near the end of the race. It's been a crappy weekend and the end of the race can't come soon enough. Oops, blue flags? dayum, it's Webber and now he suffers the indignity of being a lap down. Two laps later barrichello shows up looking to pass him and take away that one point.
Barrichello immdeiately shows how he's going to pass by getting a good drive off the last corner, and slipstreaming past on the long straight. This is the classic pass move, taught from day one at all racing schools.

Then it happens, Barrichello gets the good drive he wants and is right behind Schumacher as they accelerate down the straight. He waits, he waits, and goes after the opening on the right. It was there, I watched the on-board camera replay many times. So what we've got is a classic, slow, clean pass, and suddenly the car going past is driven into the wall.

Michael, Michael, I was hoping you would have changed, that you would have stopped doing this kind of stuff, knowing when the line is being crossed and stopping before crossing it. Bad boy, you really crossed the line on this one. How can any of the other drivers trust and respect you as a result of what happened? Your conduct was unacceptable and was definitely dangerous.

Reubens was guilty of trying to race a dirty driver, that's what he did wrong.

It was an interesting race, with some drivers putting in fantastic performances. Webber's stint in the middle of the race was stellar, that was when he secured the race win. Petrov is racing for his job, and been delivering on the promise of his talent. And Alonso, his drive was immaculate. If but for the fact that this week the Red Bulls were so much quicker, Alonso could have easily been the winner.
Considering his performances in the last two races, I rate him as the best driver in Formula One at this moment.

This season has been amazing in how much drama is going on, how fluid the fortunes of the teams and drivers are. Sometimes I think that this whole production is like a merge of two films, a Shakespearean drama and Jackass.

In all my years of watching racing, I have never seen a driver throw away a sure win as Vettel did. What happened was a mistake, a mistake of concentration and focus. I hope Vettel regards this as a learning experience, the need to remain completely focused and concentrating on the race. And for a start, maybe he should spend his little summer vacation reading the FIA regulations. Memorize them dude, don't ever allow this kind of stuff to happen again.

Congratulations to Mark Webber, he's suddenly become the man on top of the mountain. He's got a great car, and he's intensely focused and determined.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Scuderia_Russ

DaveKillens wrote: In all my years of watching racing, I have never seen a driver throw away a sure win as Vettel did.
I'm pretty sure Hakkinen did a few times.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

donskar
donskar

At least a couple firsts here (IMHO):

First time a thread about an F1 race has been far more boring than the race itself. The Schu-RB topic was very little more than:

Yes he did!
No he didn't!
I can prove he did!
I can prove he didn't!
You're a dummy!
So's your old man!
I'm not saying anything else on the topic!
You just did!
No I didn't!

First time a thread about an F1 race (30+ pages of it!) had far less to say about the actual race than the skimpiest coverage in a US newspaper.

I think this race was the turning point of the season in a number of ways:

Webber showed that he has both the speed AND the maturity to be a WDC. Vettel needs a bit more maturity. How will Horner push Vettel past Webber now?

Hamilton and Alonso showed Button and Massa respectively who is #1 and who is #2. (And I dislike Hamilton and like Massa very much).

Schu showed again that -- at least in this iteration of the Mercedes -- he is not up to racing anywhere near the front. Rosberg is the rising star; Schu the fading one. (And I like Schu.)

With little or no work allowed before the next race, the "second season" will begin with Red Bull clearly superior to Ferrari (much to my despair) and even further ahead of McL. The WDC and WCC are Red Bull's to lose.

Finally, for the good of F1, Eccelstone should pay Newey whatever it would take to get him to RETIRE. (Or get Bryne and Barnard to return?) Newey is head and shoulders above every other designer out there. He is the Chapman of this generation.

Why is no one accusing Red Bull of team orders (Vettel intentionally holding up Alonso so Webber could get away) :lol:
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

WhiteBlue

komninosm wrote:“Yesterday right after the race I was still in the heat of the moment, but after I watched the scene with Rubens again, I must say that the stewards were right in their assessment - the manoeuvre against him was too hard,” he told his official website.

So tell WB his hero has forsaken him. WB your bias is obvious. Please give it a rest or be a big man and admit you're wrong.
You completely ignore the actual position I took on the incident and that will not be lost on those who look beyond petty minded nitpicking. I have never defended Schumacher for his driving in the Hungarian GP.

It is typical that some people can only see black and white. If a guilty party is found the other driver must be lily white. If a driver is known for hard and sometimes unfair driving the emotions take over and do not allow objective discussions of the facts. This is the real bias here and not my criticism of Rubens pass.

I have no problems to agree to different views and opinions about the incident. What I find a bit disturbing are the negative emotions displayed against me for discussing this obviously dangerous situation. With Schumacher having apologized to Rubens I suggest we settle down a bit and focus on the objective aspects and drop the emotional stuff.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Goran2812
Goran2812

You should really stop discussing Schumaher and Barichello... All of you... All has been said, let it go... -.-
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

WhiteBlue

donskar wrote:Webber showed that he has both the speed AND the maturity to be a WDC. Vettel needs a bit more maturity. How will Horner push Vettel past Webber now?
In case you forgot, Vettel was able to out qualify Webber four times in a row and by more than .4 s in Hungary. IMO Vettel will do it all on his own without Horner's help. I agree that Webber showed greater experience and race craft versus Vettel's mistake. That bit is true. But most observers still think (like me) that Vettel's speed will take him to the top in the end.

This is what the betting money thought of Webber vs Vettel over the 2010 campaign and what they think now. Webber reached his best odds ever on Sunday and looks now like a very solid candidate indeed.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

747heavy

donskar wrote: Webber showed that he has both the speed AND the maturity to be a WDC. Vettel needs a bit more maturity. How will Horner push Vettel past Webber now?
@ donskar

Good general accessment and round up IMHO =D>

As for the quote above.
I tend to agree in regards to Vettel, but he is still young, and I´m sure he will come
back strong.

As for Webber, he did a great job this weekend, and had some stellar drives this year (e.g. Monaco) no doubt. On the other hand, he still has his moments like in Valencia. First at the start, and then with the Lotus. In my book, this was an unforced error, and not a great display of maturity.
I will be happy for him, if he can pull it off, but let´s wait untill the fat lady sings.
For me the jury is still out, I would not bet my house on him just yet.
I think Vettel has the speed to take the fight to him untill the end, and he may still win it.
It´s going to be a interesting second part of the season - bring it on - may the best man win.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Mr Alcatraz

WhiteBlue wrote:

This is what the betting money thought of Webber vs Vettel over the 2010 campaign and what they think now. Webber reached his best odds ever on Sunday and looks now like a very solid candidate indeed.
Thanks for this info WB!
Being an ex Vegas sports-book junkie I find these odds very telling. There appears to still be a lot of money being played on Fred, or the sports books are just scared. If I was still active in my addiction :-k I'd be tempted to lay a little money on Button for two reasons. There is a reasonably good chance that the flexi wing may have to be modified or ?, bringing McLaren well back into play on tracks they should be fast on. He is still a long shot to beat The Boss, but I like the long odds.
BTW Is Fred still critical on engines for the rest of the season?
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand