Belgian GP 2010 - Spa Francorchamps

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: Belgian GP 2010 - Circuit de Spa Francorchamps

Ah yes, the ironically named catch fencing. Of the accident I've seen at track with catch fencing, it wasn't too successful.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Last year it was Force India and Fisi who were the surprise story. With so much that has happened so far, I wonder what weird events we will be ranting about when the dust settles.

There's lots of speculation about which car this circuit favors. Personally, I recall how Webber could rip through turn 8 at Turkey flat-out while others had to lift. That Red Bull has to have an incredible downforce-to-drag ratio, and this makes the car very good at faster turns. And I believe that from turn 5 to 15, Red Bull will own that part of the track. It will be interesting.

There are famous tracks, and there are great tracks. Spa is a jewel in racing, and it's always a great race there.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Found this:

Not sure which year..

gridwalker
gridwalker

That looks damp ... Having sat at that corner and watched much more advanced cars spin in front of me, I really wouldn't to be stood unprotected so close to the apex!
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

forty-two

gridwalker wrote:That looks damp ... Having sat at that corner and watched much more advanced cars spin in front of me, I really wouldn't to be stood unprotected so close to the apex!
I don't think there's any viewpoint in that picture where I would be 100% happy about my safety!

How times have changed!

Excellent picture though.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Add to that the fact that Eau Rouge is not as extreme as it used to be really shows the skill of the driver back in the day.

Looks like Graham Hill in a BRM 261. Could the race from either 1965 or 66. Both were wet but my money is on 65. In 66 there was a massive crash at the first corner according to the race report on Wikipedia.

gridwalker
gridwalker

forty-two wrote:I don't think there's any viewpoint in that picture where I would be 100% happy about my safety!
On top of the clocktower, maybe?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Richard
Richard

Thanks n_anirudh for a great pic. Shows that character and terrain of a great circuit.

forty-two

Giblet wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Actually wouldn't Red Bull be able to cruise through Eau Rouge as well? That should help them. I for one am still betting on an RB pole, if not an RB front row lockout.

There is no such thing as an F1 car that can't do Eau Rouge flat out.

Maybe the new guys can't, but its a flat out corner for everyone since the intro of V8's.
Except Luca Badoer in 2009 if memory serves!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

aral
aral

forty-two wrote:
Giblet wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Actually wouldn't Red Bull be able to cruise through Eau Rouge as well? That should help them. I for one am still betting on an RB pole, if not an RB front row lockout.

There is no such thing as an F1 car that can't do Eau Rouge flat out.

Maybe the new guys can't, but its a flat out corner for everyone since the intro of V8's.
Except Luca Badoer in 2009 if memory serves!
Heres a question about Spa. Who was the first driver to take Eau Rouge without lifting? I seem to remember that it was Nikki Lauda, but I am sure that I will be corrected.

raymondu999

My favorite memory of this circuit last year were many. And in fact they filled the podium. How Kimi manhandled that underperforming Ferrari to a win (though the safety car and his KERS button did most of it for him), FI almost getting a win (if not for a safety car) and instead still getting a podium, Vettel qualifying 8th (I think?) and getting suckered so much on the first lap, to only fight back to 3rd.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

donskar
donskar

andrew wrote:Add to that the fact that Eau Rouge is not as extreme as it used to be really shows the skill of the driver back in the day.

Looks like Graham Hill in a BRM 261. Could the race from either 1965 or 66. Both were wet but my money is on 65. In 66 there was a massive crash at the first corner according to the race report on Wikipedia.
Methinks 1965.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Sambo

donskar wrote:
andrew wrote:Add to that the fact that Eau Rouge is not as extreme as it used to be really shows the skill of the driver back in the day.

Methinks 1965.
According to various sources on the net it's 1965, but that's not defo

Now I'm not 100% sure on the date, but i beleive it was taken just after 3:30 in the afternoon if my memory serves me correctly...Hehehe :-)

aral
aral

Sambo wrote:
donskar wrote:

Methinks 1965.
According to various sources on the net it's 1965, but that's not defo

Now I'm not 100% sure on the date, but i beleive it was taken just after 3:30 in the afternoon if my memory serves me correctly...Hehehe :-)
I think your memory may be failing you. The exact time was 1302! Just after start. (that is unless the start was at 1528 for some reason.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Look at the clock in the picture... :wink: :lol: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.