1/4 Scale R/C F1 (Regarding Chassis and suspension)

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: 1/4 Scale R/C F1 (Regarding Chassis and suspension)

it took him 15years to build...amazing ...5gear and reverse box..all fully functional..hoorey without internet we would never know of him... :mrgreen:

747heavy

not from this year, but some nice details - IMHO

"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

mep

Very interessting picture.
Where is it from? What car is it?
Maybe a Sauber/BMW?

Very interessting how they mount the lower wishbone to this bar.
Is it just in this stationary gearbox done like that because the engine is missing there?
The antirollbar looks very soft.

marcush.
marcush.

have I seen these in Munich in Preussenstrasse lately ? I almost think so ..unfortunatelly had no time to really have a look..

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

That engine liiks like a BMW P86/x and the transmission looks like the one that they used on the F1.06 or F1.07 by the looks of things.

Just been looking thrugh my favruoites list on IE8 and i forgot that http://www.gurneyflap.com/ may have some pics that will help you.

Like this one ive just found from the R24 or R25:

747heavy

mep wrote:Very interessting picture.
Where is it from? What car is it?
Maybe a Sauber/BMW?

Very interessting how they mount the lower wishbone to this bar.
Is it just in this stationary gearbox done like that because the engine is missing there?
The antirollbar looks very soft.
yes mep, these are BMW/Sauber parts, don´t know exactly which year....
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

marcush.
marcush.

the engine is on display at Motorsport GmbH ,I´m not so sure about the gearbox i did not see it there ...

BMW is more of an engine company.. they also got the M3GTS(E46) on display there the ALMS car and a new GT2 if I remember correctly...

747heavy

marcush. wrote: BMW is more of an engine company..

.... as the name suggests :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
- Colin Chapman

marcush.
marcush.

really.. :lol: :lol:

747heavy

- Colin Chapman

wrcsti
wrcsti

In a dream a couple of nights ago (i have lucid dreaming) I thought of a way to make an RC car suspension which was completely customisable in every sense of movement and very easy to tune. I tried making a drawing but failed at it but it is essentially 3 arms, which have adjustable lenght, placed 2 in the bottom and 1 on top of the upright. The 2 on the bottom can control track width and toe while the one on top can control camber and caster depending on were it is mounted. For the actual suspension right were the top one is mounted have a spring runing to where the lower ones are mounted on the chasis itself. It might need a mit of movement to clear the dogbones but the idea itself is very doable and pretty cheap if you have a hobbyshop with all the required parts at hand.

mep

wrcsti wrote:In a dream a couple of nights ago (i have lucid dreaming)
hehehe I also have such dreams.
Once I dreamed of a very good way to do brackets for your FSAE team. Right on the next day I changed the old ones to the new design and we used them on the car.
Its funny that I had to dream of it to solve a problem I was not able to solve during several weeks.
So in fact it is possible to develop things when you sleep.

I thought of a way to make an RC car suspension which was completely customisable in every sense of movement and very easy to tune. I tried making a drawing but failed at it but it is essentially 3 arms, which have adjustable lenght, placed 2 in the bottom and 1 on top of the upright. The 2 on the bottom can control track width and toe while the one on top can control camber and caster depending on were it is mounted. For the actual suspension right were the top one is mounted have a spring runing to where the lower ones are mounted on the chasis itself. It might need a mit of movement to clear the dogbones but the idea itself is very doable and pretty cheap if you have a hobbyshop with all the required parts at hand.
Basically this sounds like a double wishbone suspension.
Actually you have 3 rods there, 2 wishbones and one track rod controlling toe.

newyorkkopter
newyorkkopter

that pic with the front hub, axle, rotor assembly!!!
wow
F1 cars are really something; even thier suspension, engine, and headers look amazing

747, I'm pressed to think of something that would do justice as an expression of gratitude; really useful finds, thanks again

Hey, I came across that 312PB. Thats really something, but I don't think I'd go that far, unless maybe if I have a real strong motive
I think he even used the same cloth as the real car from Ferrari!

The 3 arm setup, I think that could work, but when changing the track width I would have to swap out arms or were you thinking about something like a tie-rod that screws into the ends of the arms to adjust width?

By the way, how do you adjust toe, camber, etc. on a real F1?

wrcsti
wrcsti

They have adjustable length. The 2 on the bottom act like a wishbone. The upper one mostly controlls camber and makes it so as the suspension compresses the tires remain mostly straight. Ill give the drawing a second try.
Last edited by wrcsti on 03 Sep 2010, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.

marcush.
marcush.

newyorkkopter wrote:that pic with the front hub, axle, rotor assembly!!!
wow
F1 cars are really something; even thier suspension, engine, and headers look amazing

747, I'm pressed to think of something that would do justice as an expression of gratitude; really useful finds, thanks again

Hey, I came across that 312PB. Thats really something, but I don't think I'd go that far, unless maybe if I have a real strong motive
I think he even used the same cloth as the real car from Ferrari!

The 3 arm setup, I think that could work, but when changing the track width I would have to swap out arms or were you thinking about something like a tie-rod that screws into the ends of the arms to adjust width?

By the way, how do you adjust toe, camber, etc. on a real F1?

shim adjustment normally.
some parts are purposemade to give a special geometry
also a possibility is fixing brackets with different heights