Clutch Kiss point

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Clutch Kiss point

Is the wheel spin test done before the start of the race, say while leaving for pre-grid? The data then analyzed by he engineers and given to the driver.

Brian

strad

According to what they say in the video,,yes
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

It's a tricky one that though. On the one hand if you have a bit more wheelspin on the formation start; you'll lay some rubber down for more grip. But on the other hand that might not be the best data for the engineers to work from.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard
Richard

Raymond, the engineers ask the drivers to do the whee spins, so they must be required to help gather data?

raymondu999

That's at the end of the formation laps and more to do with heating the rear tyres to get them on their optimum temperature when we hit lights out. But not on the formation start.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

strad

they do practice starts from pit lane...they do burnouts before the get to their spot on the grid, but I don't think they do any from that spot when they take off on the formation lap and I think that it is illegal. So, I wonder, does it have something to do with NOT having data from the spot they need it most. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

Well they do practice starts at the end of FP... Generally they choose their grid slots for that, albeit it might not be where they actually qualify. Vettel is often seen doing a practice start from... where else? Pole! :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

strad

I'm pretty sure there is a rule against doing burnouts to lay down rubber and improve your launch
Sir Stirling Moss