Japanese GP 2010 - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Re: Japanese GP 2010 - Suzuka

imightbewrong wrote:Furthermore I don't think it had an effect on the outcome of the race, since he came to a full stop before the lights went out.
I don't that's relevant. Someone could jump 2 metres and come to a full stop before the lights go out. Would still be a jump start. I think what is important here is that after the slight movement, he was still within his grid slot.

Giblet
Giblet

I should have been more clear. I don't think he should be penalized, I just would like to see him penalized for my own lame reasons. I don't think with all his unforced errors this year that he deserves a title simply because his car is so dominant and he can turn laps in front of everyone else.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Hulkenberg did exactly the same, but more prominent. Interesting video of the start, teh view from many cars (Hulk, Massa, Koba?) catch it while it is still up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-A4hHq_A4I

forty-two

Well, you guys have got me wondering now. I will have a look at the recording of the race I made to be sure.

That is unless WB has some stills handy?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

747heavy

I will let people draw there own conclutions, depending on there prefered driver, just some observations.

- it shows again, that overtaking is still difficult, and that some cars/drivers are able to hold up a whole bunch of other cars/drivers (nothing new here)

- Lotus is clealy a step ahead of the other new teams at this track (race pace wise),
still Trulli was stuck a while in the HRT/Virgin train, before he could lap faster then them

- but even Lotus is still a fair step away from the pace of STR

- this track (good aero efficiency/DF needed) the difference between the new and the top/midfield teams is staggering. They have still a long way to go

- if not for the gearbox problem and for being stuck behind Button, Hamilton would have been able to challenge Alonso. If he would have overtaken him, is a different matter, and remains to be seen - IMO

- Button did not had the speed, to challenge the other top cars, while in front he cold not produce the laptimes the others could to. (everybody is/was closing in on him)

- MGP`s strategy with M.S. is a bit questionable, it may have cost them a 5th place finish, as L.H. car developed it´s gearbox problem, could have made for an entertaining few laps. M.S. battling with L.H.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

yellowflag
yellowflag

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Hi, I am trying to understand whether or not Vettel did a jump start or a rolling start or whatever at Suzuka, since it's being discussed here and there. Cheers.

Video:

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/4978/fo...a-a-suzuka
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 12 Oct 2010, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: brought from Tech Regs thread.

andartop
andartop

imightbewrong wrote:Hulkenberg did exactly the same, but more prominent. Interesting video of the start, teh view from many cars (Hulk, Massa, Koba?) catch it while it is still up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-A4hHq_A4I

=D>
Excellent video, thanks!
With regards to Vettel's jump start (?), I think it would be too harsh to hand out any penalty other than a reprimand. Seeing as it did not have any effect on the race outcome (as he did stop immediately and then went off again with everybody else), and since Massa got away with it in Spa, any other penalty would be unnecessary. As much as I'd like Alonso to win this Championship, I wouldn't like it to be decided by something like this. Maybe just a good opportunity for Teams to request from the FIA that their system might have to be tweaked.

Both Petrov and Massa seem to have caused avoidable accidents by overreacting to other cars moving around them. Ok, Massa was squeezed a little bit but it looks like he was going in way too fast to make that corner without collecting another car with him anyway. I can't see why they punished Petrov but not Massa.. He is experienced enough to know you don't win a race in the first corner, and Suzuka is well known for first corner incidents..
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I don't think he did at all but without seeing the lights it's difficult to say for definite. Webbers poor start makes Vettels look a bit dodgy but if you compare Vettel start with Kubica they move off at virtually the same time.

Terrible3
Terrible3

ahmedvortex wrote:* Webber is ... more patient
Webber patient? Please, anytime he is overtaken he out drives himself to try and defend a lost position. Most of the time it results in him out breaking himself and running off or running himself and others way off line. He is a complete hot head!
ahmedvortex wrote: * Kobayashi over showed by the race producer , profiting of the tire freshness to overtake cars clearly far from his pace , three overtakes on the same corner ( the ones who demand the best rear tires grip )
I do recall Kob passing a FI on equally bad tires. Additionally Kob had a super late pit stop, meaning he ran his first set far longer than anyone else. I think him reaping the rewards of fresh tires late in he race is fair game. He was brave and opportunistic in the situation. Its funny how everyone claims to want more passing yet they are so quick to discredit those who do make the passes.

yellowflag
yellowflag

The controversy is about the initial move, you can see it when the lights are on. It doesn't occur when they are out. Very likely when he selects first gear. So the car did not remain stationary at that moment of the start.

Ray

I wouldn't call either a jump start. They both came to a complete stop before setting off again and they didn't jump very far. I remember one start where I think it was Sato who jumped and got like 1/2 to 3/4 car lenght movement before anyone else. I see it as long as they don't move more than 3-5 feet and come to a complete stop before setting off again it really isn't that big of a deal.

Ray

andartop wrote:I can't see why they punished Petrov but not Massa.. He is experienced enough to know you don't win a race in the first corner, and Suzuka is well known for first corner incidents..
Only reason I can think of is that Hulk ran someone completely over and Massa was pretty much squeezed out onto the grass. Yeah he came in hot, but that may be the difference in the stewards judgement. :?

Sean H
Sean H

Ray wrote:I wouldn't call either a jump start. They both came to a complete stop before setting off again and they didn't jump very far. I remember one start where I think it was Sato who jumped and got like 1/2 to 3/4 car lenght movement before anyone else. I see it as long as they don't move more than 3-5 feet and come to a complete stop before setting off again it really isn't that big of a deal.
I don't know about no big deal. I think every driver would love another 3-5 feet advantage going into turn 1. Now, as long as you are still behind your starting line and not moving, then yes, no big deal. Which may have been the deal here, still behind the line and not moving, no penalty.
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

strad

does roll a touch doesn't he?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ringo

It's not a jump start, a jump start would be a rolling start.
If he comes to a stop and is generally withing the grid box outlined in white, that does not give him an advantage.
It's just like staging a car in drag racing.
For Sure!!