McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
clarkiesyeah

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

MP4 26 for reference:

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong."
Murray Walker

"My biggest error? Something that is to happen yet."
Ayrton Senna

astracrazy
astracrazy

best pic i could find without trying

could be a fair shout

RedTzar
RedTzar

You need to remember that the rear wing has dramatically changed since the -22/-23 era. I dont know how much the extra height would change the effect and if it is the same I would imagine that they have thought around it.

Good shout.

Halgovern
Halgovern

if I remember correctly the increase in height of the rear wing was meant to stop it and the diffuser working together (or atleast reduce whatever was happening at the back) :)
“On the days when Hamilton’s insane alliance of guts, skill and derring-do appear capable of delivering the world it is easy to forget he is only 25, an age when it is all too common for boys to believe themselves men.”

raymondu999

Halgovern wrote:if I remember correctly the increase in height of the rear wing was meant to stop it and the diffuser working together (or atleast reduce whatever was happening at the back) :)
Yup, the height helped a lot to decouple the wing's wake from the diffuser.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

matt21

Scarbs has done a analysis of the mclaren exhaust system.

But why should they route the exhaust in this way?
http://scarbsf1.files.wordpress.com/201 ... u-bend.jpg

Is it no better to make a different collector and go directly to the front instead of going this long way?
So this leads me, against my original thinking, to the idea that mclaren is blowing something else than the front of the floor.

timbo
timbo

matt21 wrote:Is it no better to make a different collector and go directly to the front instead of going this long way?
So this leads me, against my original thinking, to the idea that mclaren is blowing something else than the front of the floor.
I guess this is a quickey solution. If they found that FEE acts positively on aero they'd make new manifolds.

segedunum
segedunum

Read the Scarbs article and he's done a good job of analysing, asking questions and coming up with some reasoned speculation as he usually does. I think we've seen at least three configurations though, because we've seen exhausts exiting at the back around the diffuser, the U-bend exhaust and what seems to have been a configuration where the exhaust routes inwards behind the diffuser somewhere.

As I thought, we haven't seen the exhaust outlets yet in the configuration where we can see the U exhaust pipe. I'm leaning towards this being the best proposal yet because I see nowhere that's big enough on the car to house such exhaust outlets yet. Exiting in the splitter seems an awful long way to route an exhaust though....... Two hours to change an exhaust configuration each time, three weeks before a grandprix? Hmmmmm.

fausto cedros

I just saw scarb's sketch but i can't believe they route the exhaust this way. Can you figure out what a loss of power?
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

copperkipper1
copperkipper1

fausto cedros wrote:I just saw scarb's sketch but i can't believe they route the exhaust this way. Can you figure out what a loss of power?
Humm possibly, I wreckon McLaren just quickly got a front exhaust design fabbed so they could do a quick analysis between their different exhaust configs then if the results from the tests come back good then they can design and build a more compact and shorter exhaust design for bahrain or later GP's.. This is a pretty good way for them to save time also.

fausto cedros

Sure. Only i just am not able to accustom myself to all those twists and turns, let alone the lenght. They must have managed to lead the outlet in a very low pressure area, and have resolved a delicate crossflow problem (if they want to energize a boundary layer getting old)to get any benefit in this sense. I personally believe that , if the exhaust is routed somewhere else, is to improve flow quality to the beam wing together with the L sidepods, and that the exhaust is nowhere near the doughnut shape it's supposed to have if i understand scarbs' sketch right.
Obviously i hopefully am wrong and the boys at woking have delivered the guys at the wheel a bolt of a car.Really really hope so.
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Someone posted on another forum that they had inside information about mclarens rear wing and that their interpretation of the rules would be a major talking point once it's revealed. Anyone have any clever idea how they could've cleverly found a loophole in the rules to gain an advantage? Personally I'm at a loss, but then again, I'm not that clever...

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Hi guys (and girls, if any?) I'm new here and have followed this thread regisously.
Your all obviously very knowledgeable and big F1 fans =D> so you may be able to answer this...

Somebody posted on here the other day something about a Richard Hammond program on the Airbus A380 and how its emergency slide used the venturi principle to vacuum additional air and use it to inflate the slides uber fast!
Could the venturi principle be used in conduction with an EBD or even an EB beam wing to create extra DF? Don't know if the rules and regs even allow for it but I just wanted to put the thought out there for you all to debate.
Over to you... :arrow:

One last thing....Go McLaren!!!

clarkiesyeah

bonjon1979 wrote:Someone posted on another forum that they had inside information about mclarens rear wing and that their interpretation of the rules would be a major talking point once it's revealed. Anyone have any clever idea how they could've cleverly found a loophole in the rules to gain an advantage? Personally I'm at a loss, but then again, I'm not that clever...

I'm not suprised to hear that. As I mentioned a few pages back, the solution for joining the RWEP to the top of the diffuser looks unfinished when compared to other teams 2011 entries. I can see this being a massive area of development.

I must point out that the last time Macca didn't unveil their car until the second test, it was the car that should have had both thw WDC and WCC, but for "other" reasons. It was clearly the fastest car in 2007.
"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong."
Murray Walker

"My biggest error? Something that is to happen yet."
Ayrton Senna

ringo

I repeat There's a turbine on the input shaft of the gearbox!!! :lol:

turbo compounding, perfectly legal loop hole. Mclaren probably have more power or much better fuel economy.
For Sure!!