McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
clarkiesyeah

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

KeiKo403 wrote:Hi guys (and girls, if any?) I'm new here and have followed this thread regisously.
Your all obviously very knowledgeable and big F1 fans =D> so you may be able to answer this...

Somebody posted on here the other day something about a Richard Hammond program on the Airbus A380 and how its emergency slide used the venturi principle to vacuum additional air and use it to inflate the slides uber fast!
Could the venturi principle be used in conduction with an EBD or even an EB beam wing to create extra DF? Don't know if the rules and regs even allow for it but I just wanted to put the thought out there for you all to debate.
Over to you... :arrow:

One last thing....Go McLaren!!!
I have this little niggle in the back of my head, I'm sure that the Venturi priciple is based on the requirment of the oxygen by the rockets flare. The flames suck the air to feed the them, a back draft if you will. The bigger the flare the more suction you will get. The exhausts hot gases, although very hot are not perminantly producing a flame.

This is my niggle, other than the suction caused by the dense cold air moving into the space created by the less dense hot air, I can't see any way to replicate the levels of suction from a persistant rocket flare.

I may be absolutly talking out of my rectal oriface however, perhaps some of the more educated amongst us can either confirm or dispel my niggle?
"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong."
Murray Walker

"My biggest error? Something that is to happen yet."
Ayrton Senna

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Cheers clarkiesyeah. It was most likely that I saw the vid clip and instantly thought I knew something about it. Just me thinking that I'm cleverer than what I actually am thb.
I did think though that the principle didn't have anything to do with oxygen but just air flow moving through from an area of high pressuse to an area of low pressure hence creating an additional pull of air that is accelerated out the back (of some cleverly shaped duct) and onto the diffuser or BW.

Richard
Richard

This is a venturi device. Note the lack of combustion. It can work with gasses or liquids. If in doubt use wiki... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

Twaddle
Twaddle

I don't claim to be an aero expert, but my understanding is that the exhaust in traditional EBD is performing the exact same function as the rocket on those A380 slides. They both reduce the pressure on the back end of the venturi tube thereby drawing air more quickly through the front. On an F1 car the aim is to further reduce the pressure in the throat of the tube (under the floor), thereby increasing the static pressure differential between the air acting on the upper and lower surfaces of the car (increased downforce).

meves
meves

Not to harp back to the age old question of where is the McLaren exhaust but is that it on the side pod just under the letters "fone" of the word vodafone?

Spencifer_Murphy

Sorry its a bit off topic, but somebody mentioned the A380 episode of Richard Hammonds Engineering Connections.

That was filmed at my univeristy (Kingston) while I was studying there. I was going to be doing some of my final year project work in that very windtunnel but was told I could not...then I saw Hamster and realised why lol.

Oh and Dr. peter Barrington (the guy with Hamster) was my aerodynamics lecturer.

Back to he MP4-26:
Is it possible that they are actually testting a variety of exhaust solutions (or they will eventually do so)? Hence the various possible exhaust locations?
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

meves
meves

Yea, they had 2 ready at launch and 2 others in development so who knows which one will be the final but you'd assume that this test they should be down to 2 with 1 solution to take to the final test.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

In the first pic, it looks likes the exhaust exits out at the back of the sidepod, while in pic 2 it exists at the side..

Is it possible that Mclaren are trying to compensate flow for yawing?? Aero d/f is lost during turns etc. So re energise flow on a particular side depending on the circuit, (more right handed or left handed turns)..

sorry i am unable to express it clearly

Hangaku

I've figured out McLaren's tactics:

http://www.f1today.nl/fotos/11558.html

It might just work...!
Yer.

horse

If the exhaust really is there then it is hard to believe that it is doing either of the leading theories for the FEE on the R31, being either more flow under the floor or isolating the airstream under the floor.

To me, that kind of arrangement might be more about improving the flow about the rear wheels, maybe?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

thedutchguy

Hangaku wrote:I've figured out McLaren's tactics:

It might just work...!
I wonder why McLaren brought that car to the track? I also saw that Renault has brought a car from a few years back to Barcelona. Is there a demo/media event planned?

Pic of Renault older Renault at Barcelona today: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nalden/5455364385/

timbo
timbo

thedutchguy wrote:
Hangaku wrote:I've figured out McLaren's tactics:

It might just work...!
I wonder why McLaren brought that car to the track? I also saw that Renault has brought a car from a few years back to Barcelona. Is there a demo/media event planned?

Pic of Renault older Renault at Barcelona today: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nalden/5455364385/
There was also an old Williams.

thestig84
thestig84

It will just be for guests to have some fun changing tyres. Notice the sim game in the right corner of the mclaren picture. Just to keep guests happy.

zgred

Poleman

Last edited by Poleman on 19 Feb 2011, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.