McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
copperkipper1
copperkipper1

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

GARRRR looking at all the testing pictures it is clear the redbull & ferrari car have either a lower front wing or its flexing to enable it to get much close to the ground...the same cant be said for McLaren..why havn't they introduced a new front wing with this feature?!

HampusA

copperkipper1 wrote:GARRRR looking at all the testing pictures it is clear the redbull & ferrari car have either a lower front wing or its flexing to enable it to get much close to the ground...the same cant be said for McLaren..why havn't they introduced a new front wing with this feature?!
They either have one in stock or they haven´t figured out how to "fool" the FIA.

The wings have been tested and given the "ok" even though we all know they flex to much.
The truth will come out...

forty-two

Poleman wrote:Image
Did anyone else spot the channel apparently weaving it's way around the front of the sidepod in this image. I don't remember seeing it before. It is new isn't it?

Could this be something to do with a planned future FEE?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Poleman

forty-two wrote: Did anyone else spot the channel apparently weaving it's way around the front of the sidepod in this image. I don't remember seeing it before. It is new isn't it?

Could this be something to do with a planned future FEE?
Thats exactly why i posted the pic.I havent noticed that being there before.In the previous page there are another 2 photos that looks like the car has the exhaust exits there,or what else could it be?

Fliege
Fliege

I can't see any channel, just the gap between the pod shield and the sidepod...
The exhaust is below the letter "o" of vodafone, I think, as mentioned in the previous page.

By the way, first post, so hello @all! :)

myurr
myurr

Enhanced as much as I can without distorting the image too much. It's definitely a new feature but I can't see any direct evidence of an exhaust there.

Rino

HampusA wrote:
copperkipper1 wrote:GARRRR looking at all the testing pictures it is clear the redbull & ferrari car have either a lower front wing or its flexing to enable it to get much close to the ground...the same cant be said for McLaren..why havn't they introduced a new front wing with this feature?!
They either have one in stock or they haven´t figured out how to "fool" the FIA.

The wings have been tested and given the "ok" even though we all know they flex to much.
I don't buy that...even the Lotus figured it out...

Steve S14
Steve S14

you can see that under sidepod feature in the launch pictures too, its just painted all black.

Fliege
Fliege

That's right, in this picture...
But in this one it certainly looks like there is an exhaust opening:

myurr
myurr

Same image enhanced and zoomed. This one was tricky as there's not enough information in the image to be able to brighten it further. I still don't see any direct evidence of an exhaust, only features that have been seen in other photos.

Poleman

Steve S14 wrote:you can see that under sidepod feature in the launch pictures too, its just painted all black.

Steve is right its there at the launch as well...but it seems to be only in the left side of the car.

But yet again,today in testing on the right side of the car...

Flanker27
Flanker27

so was not in my imagination that suspicious different color.... :D

myurr
myurr

Are we sure that's not just the edges of the known panels / covers catching the light? It would seem odd to only run it on one side, and the image itself doesn't appear to hold much more detail than those straight edges.

Poleman

myurr wrote:Are we sure that's not just the edges of the known panels / covers catching the light? It would seem odd to only run it on one side, and the image itself doesn't appear to hold much more detail than those straight edges.
As far as i know in the launch there werent any panels on the right side of the car so its weird where did these edges came from. :? Indeed its odd if its only run on one side but the pic its just for reference not much detail as you also said.

What i also noticed though is the heat sensors in the RW support.I went back almost all the pages looking at pics from previous tests but i didnt see them being used at that place before.

Shrek
Shrek

Poleman wrote: But yet again,today in testing on the right side of the car...

i don't know why but that looks like ferarri's old double floor
Spencer