McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ell66
ell66

Re: McLaren Mercedes MP4-26

richard_leeds wrote:
wesley123 wrote: As far as I know those 2 teams did that at the pit stops to ensure a more optimal ride height with lower fuel loads
Please do tell more. It was speculated pre-season, but I thought none of the teams implemented it.
I thought it was pretty well known ferrari lowered there car during the pit stops, not to sure about the red bull though.

Giblet
Giblet

ell66 wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:
wesley123 wrote: As far as I know those 2 teams did that at the pit stops to ensure a more optimal ride height with lower fuel loads
Please do tell more. It was speculated pre-season, but I thought none of the teams implemented it.
I thought it was pretty well known ferrari lowered there car during the pit stops, not to sure about the red bull though.
They aren't allowed to I thought. Source?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

It was never proven, and was still the case at the end of the year. Just felxi wings and splitters took over.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Goran2812
Goran2812

what is that switch for then? :S
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

raymondu999

A qualifying engine map maybe? Not so much an ignition overrun but more of a "max power" "overtake" button?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ringo

radio maybe?
For Sure!!

wesley123
wesley123

probably hyperspeed
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

I think it's unlikely to be for the rear wing as a switch of that nature looks like it would only have 2 positions, i.e. fully 'open' for the least drag when behind another car, or fully 'closed' for want of a better word for when the wing is set for high DF. I think a switch for the rear wing might be a small dial that can infinitely adjusted within the set limits, 10 degrees I think. This is just an idea though so please pick it apart if there's any flaws :)

Richied76
Richied76

VOX. that way they can still talk through the corners without the need to hold the radio button. Imagine turning a tight corner in monaco full lock with your thumb held on a button. It would be near imposiable

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

It's not radio or drinks.

See this website, click on Lewis's car, then the cockpit, then the steering wheel. There is an option to see what all the buttons do on the front of the wheel. So it eliminates any of them.

http://stage.mobil1motorsport.com/virtu ... %2002.html
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

bgroovers
bgroovers

Isnt his the forum to discuss the technical side of the 2011 McL car. Not for discussing last years buttons to eject Button!

It seems strange to me to launch the MP4 -26 the day after the 1st test. If they are using the 2010 car to test the new tyres then why not wait till before the 2nd test to continue in finalising the areo. I guess by then the chassis will be set in stone and then its all just areo updates from then on.

raymondu999

I don't quite get the interim car thing. Are they using the MP4-25, or sort of an "MP4-26(A)?"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.
marcush.

maybe they run a Mclaren orange car pre presentation....
that would make it interim :roll:

Lurk

Owen.C93 wrote:It's not radio or drinks.

See this website, click on Lewis's car, then the cockpit, then the steering wheel. There is an option to see what all the buttons do on the front of the wheel. So it eliminates any of them.

http://stage.mobil1motorsport.com/virtu ... %2002.html
There is the same switch on the other side.

Maybe display settings? One for the left part, one for the right?
Or to shutdown the engine but I don't think this button is on the steering wheel. It will be stupid.

astracrazy
astracrazy

marcush. wrote:maybe they run a Mclaren orange car pre presentation....
that would make it interim :roll:
i can't see vodafone being happy with that.

regarding the steering wheel - it can't be anything in constant use. It wouldn't make any sense to have it there. perhaps clutch settings or something for the start of the race?