McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mith

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

http://www.f1today.nl/fotos/10963.html

Here's the link. There's also picture with side view there. I wasn't looking for any differences.

Intego

According to German AMS MCL is to come up with sidepods à la STR plus the Renault R31 exhaust system, but blowing the exhaust gases in the cavity/hutch between sidepod and floor. That would validate Ringo's thinking of it.
ringo wrote:Blowing it under the car is not the right idea. That is wrong.
High pressure air belongs on top of the floor.
Brawn said that Merc is working on a similar system, too.
Could be another nice season.

Source: auto-motor-und-sport.de
Google translation
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

forty-two

Thanks Mith.

The helmet which Gary Paffett was using looked VERY similar to JBs design.

They weren't pulling a Top Gear-esque "no it's James Driving" when it's actually the Stig were they?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

747heavy

"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

mcjamweasel

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9383263.stm wrote:BBC Sport's Sarah Holt in Valencia: "I am very lucky to have cameraman Martin as an extra pair of eyes and ears in the pit-lane. He reports that, .... Four tyres belonging to Bridgestone - last season's tyre suppliers - were also spotted in the back of a McLaren truck this morning. You don't think they put the wrong ones on do you?! Pure speculation, I stress."
What's all that about then? As mentioned before, didn't Bridgestone have them all back? Even if they are only transport tyres I can't see why they would still have Brdgestones knocking about.

Phillyred
Phillyred

I wonder how much different the mp4-26 is going to be considering they are using the mp4-25 in what "appears" to be in 2010 trim to gather tire data with the new pirelli's? If the 26's geometry, suspension etc is similar that would probably be useful for correlation and calibration, but if the 26 is completely redesigned then what data are they gathering?? Obviously these guys know what they are doing, but I'm just wondering what types of data would be useful.

godlameroso

They're more interested in seeing how the tires match up with machinery they already have data on, then they can analyze and see how to proceed from there
Saishū kōnā

myurr
myurr

Further to that, they're collecting data for their simulations. By changing as few variables as possible the data they collect will be a better comparison between the two tyres. This should help the accuracy of their models and lead to better implementations on their cars down the line.

adrianjordan

Phillyred wrote:I wonder how much different the mp4-26 is going to be considering they are using the mp4-25 in what "appears" to be in 2010 trim to gather tire data with the new pirelli's? If the 26's geometry, suspension etc is similar that would probably be useful for correlation and calibration, but if the 26 is completely redesigned then what data are they gathering?? Obviously these guys know what they are doing, but I'm just wondering what types of data would be useful.
Look at it this way, you have 2 versions of your car and 3 types of tyre:

MP4-25
MP4-26

Bridgestone (2010 Tyres)
Pirelli.V1 (Bahrain Tyre Test Spec)
Pirelli.V2 (2011 Tyres)

You already have data on MP4-25 + Bridgestone and MP4-25 + Pirelli.V1 but you have no data on Pirelli.V2 on any car. By running MP4-25 + Pirelli.V2 you are able to compare the data you already have on Pirelli.V1 with Pirelli.V2 and identify any differences between the 2 before you then run MP4-26 + Pirelli.V2

Look at it another way. If they run MP4-26 + Pirelli.V2, they don't know what handling characteristics are due to the car and what are due to the tyre.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

forty-two wrote:Thanks Mith.

The helmet which Gary Paffett was using looked VERY similar to JBs design.

They weren't pulling a Top Gear-esque "no it's James Driving" when it's actually the Stig were they?
Has anyone ever actually seen Gary Paffett and The Shtig (only makes sense if you saw the Borris Becker interview) in the same room??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

raymondu999

adrianjordan wrote:Look at it another way. If they run MP4-26 + Pirelli.V2, they don't know what handling characteristics are due to the car and what are due to the tyre.
That's what I thought at first, but then I thought of it another way.

They would have to solve the discrepancies. Either way, Pirelli V2 is a constant spec and won't change. Any changes in characteristics and handling would have to be solved by changes to the MP4-26. I would've thought understanding these would've been much more important, and so much more important for them to gather MP4-26+Pirelli V2 data
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Phillyred
Phillyred

adrianjordan wrote:
Phillyred wrote:I wonder how much different the mp4-26 is going to be considering they are using the mp4-25 in what "appears" to be in 2010 trim to gather tire data with the new pirelli's? If the 26's geometry, suspension etc is similar that would probably be useful for correlation and calibration, but if the 26 is completely redesigned then what data are they gathering?? Obviously these guys know what they are doing, but I'm just wondering what types of data would be useful.
Look at it this way, you have 2 versions of your car and 3 types of tyre:

MP4-25
MP4-26

Bridgestone (2010 Tyres)
Pirelli.V1 (Bahrain Tyre Test Spec)
Pirelli.V2 (2011 Tyres)

You already have data on MP4-25 + Bridgestone and MP4-25 + Pirelli.V1 but you have no data on Pirelli.V2 on any car. By running MP4-25 + Pirelli.V2 you are able to compare the data you already have on Pirelli.V1 with Pirelli.V2 and identify any differences between the 2 before you then run MP4-26 + Pirelli.V2

Look at it another way. If they run MP4-26 + Pirelli.V2, they don't know what handling characteristics are due to the car and what are due to the tyre.
Ahh, ok that does make a lot of sense.. I wonder if this then gives them an advantage over other teams by purposely delaying their launch or were they just not ready.. I imagine a certain point comes where data on the mp4-26 + Pirelli V.2 tires will become crucial in regards to laps completed in comparison to other teams who are already running their 2011 spec cars.. I guess all in all it varies between the teams and their approach.

myurr
myurr

raymondu999, it's not so much about setting that particular car up or not, it's about building a tyre model for their computer simulations. For that they'll need to keep as many constants as possible.

RedTzar
RedTzar

Intego wrote:According to German AMS MCL is to come up with sidepods à la STR plus the Renault R31 exhaust system, but blowing the exhaust gases in the cavity/hutch between sidepod and floor. That would validate Ringo's thinking of it.
ringo wrote:Blowing it under the car is not the right idea. That is wrong.
High pressure air belongs on top of the floor.
Brawn said that Merc is working on a similar system, too.
Could be another nice season.

Source: auto-motor-und-sport.de
Google translation
I read on another forum, can't remember where, that a Renault engineer was overheard talking about a system on their 2011 car at a karting event. The person who overheard it then went back to their team told the relevant people. The team then rang Renault and said "thanks, its a great idea!" The whole Renault team got in trouble for the leak. Please remember this is rumour and isnt necessarily McLaren if true.

However if McLaren do turn up with it I would suspect its true or the same loophole has been found (more likely) and if Merc are working on it, isnt there a chance that McLaren spoke to MB HPE to change the engine for it ala EBD 2010 and Merc found out that way? Lot of speculation going on here :D

forty-two

Hi RedTzar, welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure, but I think your post might be better in another thread.

There's a thread under the Aero section to discuss the concept of a blown floor viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9450

Or a Renault R31 thread under the cars section viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9187

For what it's worth though, my gut feeling is that if anyone has got a plan to implement this, it would be Red Bull (same engine manufacturer etc.)
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?