McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timd
timd

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

One exhaust blowing beam wing one blown centre line of diffuser / engine start hole?

ringo

I think they may put the exhausts in a similar fashion to Virgin.

It's not blowing the starter hole like some think. The starter hole is too small an area compared to the rest of the diffuser.
If you look the virgin exhausts are pointed away from the starter hole. Maybe some gas will blow through it, but i think most of it is being sent over the top and to the sides.
Mclaren may do something similar, maybe with flat rectangular pipes shaped like vacuum cleaner snouts?
For Sure!!

forty-two

ringo wrote:Mclaren may do something similar, maybe with flat rectangular pipes shaped like vacuum cleaner snouts?
Oh if they do, I wish they'd tune the pipes to make a wierd noise... and that this somehow ends up being hugely beneficial in terms of race pace (perhaps they choose a note which hypnotises the other drivers, but the McLaren guys are secretly wearing noise cancelling earplugs)
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

adrianjordan

forty-two wrote:
ringo wrote:Mclaren may do something similar, maybe with flat rectangular pipes shaped like vacuum cleaner snouts?
Oh if they do, I wish they'd tune the pipes to make a wierd noise... and that this somehow ends up being hugely beneficial in terms of race pace (perhaps they choose a note which hypnotises the other drivers, but the McLaren guys are secretly wearing noise cancelling earplugs)
Or (given that soundwaves are effectively shockwaves in the air) a frequency that causes a drop in power of the engines of any following cars...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Rino

GaryPaffett: Just back from Spain. A good day running the MP4-26 today. Car ran very well and engineers are happy. Let's see how it goes at Jerez.

Still no pictures?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Id love to know what tracks they used for the shakedown and aero test day:

http://www.idiada.es/web/descargas/proving_ground.pdf

Id recon Dynamic Platform A for the aero test and possibly the Dry Handling Track for the shakedown.

ringo

For Sure!!

forty-two

Excellent video Ringo, much better than the live stream would have suggested (or the bit I saw at least).

I think, given the "fans" that happened to be there, the quiet was more than a little bit disturbing. But in an odd way, I've known precisely the opposite situation be just as wierd.

For example, I went to pantomime this year and saw a few hundred people in Wimbledon theatre laughing their faces off at Louis Spence because he was saying completely inappropriate things to an audience of at least 40% children. I literally didn't get it, and I like a laugh!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Belatti
Belatti

Am I the only one that thinks this is bulky?

I know just a little bit about aerodynamics, and I prefer a clean butt rather than a wise front.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

raymondu999

Is it just me, or is the 26 wider around the midsection, where the sidepods are? Even the 25 terminates into a tighter teardrop shape.

Having said that, we're not seeing the undercut here as well. They have a small double-floor thing going on as well on the 26, no?

And I think the change of logo positioning on the nose could be playing tricks on you seeing a wider nose there
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Biscuit
Biscuit

Pretty sure at their widest points the sidepod width is the same. The teams all max out the spec I believe for that.

3.4 Width ahead of the rear wheel centre line:
3.4.1 Bodywork width between the front and rear wheel centre lines must not exceed 1400mm.

But it definately is a more stout shape further back.

The 25 didn't have the most shapely rear either. It's possible that the innovative side-pods are actually an airflow compromise due to packaging limitations at the rear keeping it wider. But I'd be surprised to find that the Mercedes was able to better McLaren by that much. The W02 is very tight at the rear and probably has at least some similar packaging concerns due to the shared engine.

More-likely McLaren believe their new side-pods provide better airflow than a tight rear? Going to be interesting to see how that particular gamble works out. Especially given that Red Bull know their solution works well and the other teams all have to play catchup this year.

raymondu999

Biscuit wrote:Pretty sure at their widest points the sidepod width is the same. The teams all max out the spec I believe for that.

3.4 Width ahead of the rear wheel centre line:
3.4.1 Bodywork width between the front and rear wheel centre lines must not exceed 1400mm.

But it definately is a more stout shape further back.

The 25 didn't have the most shapely rear either. It's possible that the innovative side-pods are actually an airflow compromise due to packaging limitations at the rear keeping it wider. But I'd be surprised to find that the Mercedes was able to better McLaren by that much. The W02 is very tight at the rear and probably has at least some similar packaging concerns due to the shared engine.

More-likely McLaren believe their new side-pods provide better airflow than a tight rear? Going to be interesting to see how that particular gamble works out. Especially given that Red Bull know their solution works well and the other teams all have to play catchup this year.
I'm not talking about the sidepod width. I'm saying that towards the rear where it terminates, the shape in projection from the top (as in the photos) is tighter, with a "sharper" point
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr
myurr

Yes it is bigger, but I doubt this is for packaging reasons so is much more likely to be aero. There is an undercut at that point and obviously the top is flattening out to supply air to the beam wing. To my CFD capable eyeball it looks like a deliberate aero feature to keep the airflow to the beam wing as high quality as possible.

myurr
myurr

Found this pic further back in the thread. Gives a reasonable view of what's going on back there:

Biscuit
Biscuit

The other difference at the very tip of the rear body work is the launch 25 didn't have much of a cooling opening at the tip. Later revisions like Hungary had a much wider opening similar to the RB.

The unveiled 26 has that cooling exhaust at the tip of the rear. Pics from an earlier post had a blowup...

viewtopic.php?p=222297#p222297