Ferrari 150° Italia

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pierce89

Re: Ferrari 150° Italia

wesley123 wrote:
Boost wrote:
Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:The car have lost his great mechanical grip, we can see that with the fact that this car was very slow at S3 at Silverstone and Hungary, but gain a lot of effeciency aero, since Silverstone this car is the fastest on high speed corner, i can't wait for Spa, Monza, Suzuka, India and Brazil, this car could flying in these tracks, even with cold track.
Monza doesn't actually have any real high speed corners where differences in a cars downforce will affect the cornering speed.
Indeed, monza is just top speed, will be an easy pray for the McLarens imo, these guys can bolt on a bit more df than others
People said that last year also, when Macca actually had a top speed advantage much greater than what they have this season. I guarantee the Ferrari will at least be equal to any other car at Monza, probably the best like last year. Ferrari ALWAYS have a very good Monza package. I personally believe that Ferrari probably puts more effort into "Monza Wings" than other teams.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

wesley123
wesley123

Pierce89 wrote: People said that last year also, when Macca actually had a top speed advantage much greater than what they have this season. I guarantee the Ferrari will at least be equal to any other car at Monza, probably the best like last year. Ferrari ALWAYS have a very good Monza package. I personally believe that Ferrari probably puts more effort into "Monza Wings" than other teams.
Look at this year, they are running way too much df compared to Red Bull and still have one of the highest top speeds, you are forgetting about their sidepods shedding a lot of drag, for the same top speed they can run more downforce.

Last year is a stupid comparasion imo, where they went completely wrong on setup, and still Button won the race almost.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

The reason for all this furious work is that Ferrari and McLaren have been pushing hard. Ferrari has found a second on its car in the last month, with a variety of updates; a change of rear suspension and rear bodywork phased in over several races but first raced at Silverstone, modifications to the exhausts to improve the blown diffuser, a succession of new front and rear wings. In Hungary they tried new front and rear wings including a rear wing modification that looks destined for Spa. It has a curved main plane, where the previous one used in Germany was straight, with only three gills in the endplate, and different positioning of the planes relative to the endplate. It was run in a high downforce configuration for Hungary, but Italian sources suggest it was designed for Spa, where it would work well in terms of reducing the drag on the long straights, even when using medium to steep angles for the flap. Alonso also said that the team has targetted Monza for an all out assault “to please the tifosi”. Last year they got it spot on with a Monza special F Duct rear wing and no doubt they’ll be the team to beat this year.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/08/t ... -reacting/

Pierce89

wesley123 wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: People said that last year also, when Macca actually had a top speed advantage much greater than what they have this season. I guarantee the Ferrari will at least be equal to any other car at Monza, probably the best like last year. Ferrari ALWAYS have a very good Monza package. I personally believe that Ferrari probably puts more effort into "Monza Wings" than other teams.
Look at this year, they are running way too much df compared to Red Bull and still have one of the highest top speeds, you are forgetting about their sidepods shedding a lot of drag, for the same top speed they can run more downforce.

Last year is a stupid comparasion imo, where they went completely wrong on setup, and still Button won the race almost.
No they cannot run more downforce for the same top speed. If they could do that, they would walk away with every race. How can you say last year is a stupid comparison? They didn't go completely wrong on setup, either. Jensen ran one setup and Lewis the other. Besides, like I said, last year they had a large top speed advantage, this year, they're slightly better on top speed than the RB7 or f150, but less than last year, an Merc has the best top speed. Last year at Monza, without a superior F-Duct they wouldn't have been close to Alonso.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

wesley123
wesley123

Pierce89 wrote: No they cannot run more downforce for the same top speed.
They run way more rear wing for example then other teams, yet they are still in the top of the speedtrap list.
How can you say last year is a stupid comparison? They didn't go completely wrong on setup, either. Jensen ran one setup and Lewis the other.
Ferrari came with a special F-Duct, same as everyone else. Yet McLaren choose to bring 2 wings, the standard wing they ran all year with way too much df and one with too less df.
Besides, like I said, last year they had a large top speed advantage, this year, they're slightly better on top speed than the RB7 or f150, but less than last year, an Merc has the best top speed.
Like I said, they have still one of the highest top speeds and run way more wing then others, so they can do the same thing for Monza too, run more wing and still have a high top speed.
Last year at Monza, without a superior F-Duct they wouldn't have been close to Alonso.
Their F-Duct wasnt that superior, Teams came with main plane blowing soon and McLaren copied that.

Hush
Hush

McLaren had the best F-duct all the way up to Spa after which Renault took over. Even then McLaren were still very close with theirs.

Pierce89

wesley123 wrote:
They run way more rear wing for example then other teams, yet they are still in the top of the speedtrap list.
How can you say last year is a stupid comparison? They didn't go completely wrong on setup, either. Jensen ran one setup and Lewis the other.
Ferrari came with a special F-Duct, same as everyone else. Yet McLaren choose to bring 2 wings, the standard wing they ran all year with way too much df and one with too less df.
Besides, like I said, last year they had a large top speed advantage, this year, they're slightly better on top speed than the RB7 or f150, but less than last year, an Merc has the best top speed.
Like I said, they have still one of the highest top speeds and run way more wing then others, so they can do the same thing for Monza too, run more wing and still have a high top speed.
Last year at Monza, without a superior F-Duct they wouldn't have been close to Alonso.
Their F-Duct wasnt that superior, Teams came with main plane blowing soon and McLaren copied that.
You apparently think that because a car has fatter wings it has more downforce. They run those fat wings because Mclaren has to run those huge wings just to be competitive on downforce. The Mclaren is quicker on the top end BECAUSE IT HAS SLIGHTLY LESS DOWNFORCE THAN THE RED BULL or about the same downforce as Ferrari with slightly less drag. I know you think Mclaren are way better than the other teams, but they're just like Ferrari or Red Bull.Lastly, Jenson ran a Spa wing at Monza, not a full on high-downforce like you imply. It was indeed a little smaller than their normal wing, but not much because of the f-duct. Mclaren might've messed up Lewis's setup at Monza, but he was the one that chose it. They did not mess up Jenson's setup though. As much as I like Jenson, with a compromised setup, he would not have outqualified Lewis, much less the whole field.

Hush
Hush

@Pierce89, I tend to agree with what you have said. A car that fundamentally produces more downforce will inherently produce more drag.

What I have noticed is that the McLaren lacks the rear downforce of Red Bull and Ferrari and are compelled to run that huge wing. During practice at the German GP their car was very skittish with the thin chord rear wing when it wasn't with their normal rear wing. I didn't pay to much attention to McLaren during friday practice at Hungary... Can somebody confirm if that problem has been rectified?

wesley123
wesley123

Pierce89 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
You apparently think that because a car has fatter wings it has more downforce. They run those fat wings because Mclaren has to run those huge wings just to be competitive on downforce. The Mclaren is quicker on the top end BECAUSE IT HAS SLIGHTLY LESS DOWNFORCE THAN THE RED BULL or about the same downforce as Ferrari with slightly less drag. I know you think Mclaren are way better than the other teams, but they're just like Ferrari or Red Bull.Lastly, Jenson ran a Spa wing at Monza, not a full on high-downforce like you imply. It was indeed a little smaller than their normal wing, but not much because of the f-duct. Mclaren might've messed up Lewis's setup at Monza, but he was the one that chose it. They did not mess up Jenson's setup though. As much as I like Jenson, with a compromised setup, he would not have outqualified Lewis, much less the whole field.

Oh please, you certainly are forgetting about their U sidepods? Like that doesnt shed more drag. I do not know where you are getting the idea from that I think that when you run mre wing you are immediately getting more downforce.
Pierce89 wrote:
wesley123 wrote: No they cannot run more downforce for the same top speed.
Here it is what I said. They clearly run way more wing then Ferrari or Red Bull, yet they are above them in top speed. The McLaren has way lower drag then the Ferrari and red Bull, and the U sidepods have a big deal in that. Because of this lower drag they can run more wing, that is logical, to come closer in terms of df to Red Bull. And that the McLaren has less downforce, I dont think that is the case anymore, They were quicker over the whole weekend compared to Red Bull in Hungary where df is key. The RB is getting old, whereas the McLaren is a brand new design, learned from previous seasons, teams have caught up to Red Bull, if you want that or not.

Apart from that I really do not know where you are getting 'I know you think Mclaren are way better than the other teams' from, you might have to explain that. Is that because I said McLaren has lower drag and can run more wing?

Also df and drag are linked to each other, but just because a car has lower drag doesnt necessarily mean that it has lwoer downforce compared to the rest of the field. If that is the case then the HRT must have a sh*tload of downforce. It is easily possible that the McLaren produces more df and has less drag.

'They did not mess up Jenson's setup though. As much as I like Jenson, with a compromised setup, he would not have outqualified Lewis, much less the whole field.'
And this, I pretty much disagree. Every team showed up with special rear wings and special F-ducts, yet McLaren showed up with their regular rear wing yet in Spa spec, for whats that worth it, where way behind everyone in the speedtrap but were faster in the turns. If everyone else apart from McLaren (and HRT) showed up with special Monza wings with the F-duct then you can say their decision is wrong. That they came out second was pretty simple, they were behind Red Bull the second best team, Ferrari was close to them too, the rest was way behind in terms of pace. If McLaren went there with an special monza wing with F-Duct I am pretty sure they would have won it easily, but that all is just speculation.

PlatinumZealot

Pierce89 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

No they cannot run more downforce for the same top speed. If they could do that, they would walk away with every race. How can you say last year is a stupid comparison? They didn't go completely wrong on setup, either. Jensen ran one setup and Lewis the other. Besides, like I said, last year they had a large top speed advantage, this year, they're slightly better on top speed than the RB7 or f150, but less than last year, an Merc has the best top speed. Last year at Monza, without a superior F-Duct they wouldn't have been close to Alonso.
They can if their car is more aerodynamically efficient. There is no hard and fast relationship between downforce and top speed, it is all empirical.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

beelsebob
beelsebob

n smikle wrote:They can if their car is more aerodynamically efficient. There is no hard and fast relationship between downforce and top speed, it is all empirical.
The point being made is that if they were more aero efficient, they would win every race. It's getting to the point now where the McLaren *does* win most of the races, so you may have a point.

wesley123
wesley123

beelsebob wrote:
n smikle wrote:They can if their car is more aerodynamically efficient. There is no hard and fast relationship between downforce and top speed, it is all empirical.
The point being made is that if they were more aero efficient, they would win every race. It's getting to the point now where the McLaren *does* win most of the races, so you may have a point.
Hmm, Red Bull was like what, 6 tenths faster most of the time last year and stil had a pretty hard time winning both championships...

Goran2812
Goran2812

This is the F150 thread... stop talking about Macca and Red Bull rear wings...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

beelsebob
beelsebob

Goran2812 wrote:This is the F150 thread... stop talking about Macca and Red Bull rear wings...
No one is talking directly about the McL and RBR rear wings – they're comparing Ferrari's rear wing concept to them.

Afterburner

People forget abou EBD, i think ferrari, from the top3 teams, it's the weakest on that area and Maca is the most dependable on it.