Team Lotus T128 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
sticky667
sticky667

Re: Team Lotus T128 Renault

dren wrote:Will the team be renamed to reflect Caterham in the future?
http://twitter.com/#!/tonyfernandes/status/88343245872046080 wrote:Some of you may be confused. There is no way we are giving up Team Lotus. We fought to hard and earnt the right. Will be a great combination
http://twitter.com/#!/tonyfernandes/status/88344944212848640 wrote:Caterham Team Lotus Group. What do you think. We have reunited 2 parts of the group that colin chapman started. Who knows.
Tony tweeted this today

Fil

So in effect, it seems Caterham will become title sponsor.
dren wrote:I thought GE would have a bigger space.
I too was surprised to not see GE more prominent, although all the prime retail on the car is kept for Fernandes' companies.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Byronrhys

Team Lotus Caterham sound better to me.

astracrazy
astracrazy

ye i don't like Caterham Team Lotus Group - it doesn't flow. But i guess Caterham will be as a title sponsor like Lotus is for Renault.

CHT
CHT

Fil wrote:So in effect, it seems Caterham will become title sponsor.
dren wrote:I thought GE would have a bigger space.
I too was surprised to not see GE more prominent, although all the prime retail on the car is kept for Fernandes' companies.
I suspect GE might have gotten into F1 because of AirAsia's jet engine business.

http://news.glidetechnologies.com/story ... r-a320neos

madly
madly

Add engine manufacturer and you'll have: Caterham Team Lotus Group Renault...
A little insane name for me :shock:

wesley123
wesley123

their name is just Team lotus? so that would make Caterham Team Lotus Renault.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

zgred

scuderiafan

I don't understand why they would go through so much trouble to be able to use the "Team Lotus" name, and then turn around and ruin it with "Team Caterham Lotus Renault Grand Prix Formula One Racing Team" or anything other than "Team Lotus" or "Team Lotus Renault".
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

marcush.
marcush.

Lotus are planning new steering rack system to be introduced at Hungary ..Trulli complaining of the steering feel and feedback giving him "wrong"feedback so he cannot feel the car and the limit...Trulli is really an extreme case of relying on a certain trait of the car it seems to rob him of all confidence and motivation..Interestingly Kovalainen sems to be unaffected by this .Drivers are different.

sticky667
sticky667

scuderiafan wrote:I don't understand why they would go through so much trouble to be able to use the "Team Lotus" name, and then turn around and ruin it with "Team Caterham Lotus Renault Grand Prix Formula One Racing Team" or anything other than "Team Lotus" or "Team Lotus Renault".
i think you're confusing LRGP with Team Lotus. Team Lotus never claimed a "group" per se. Tony was only speaking about the umbrella he has created and called it a group of companies.

Introducing Team Lotus and Caterham is a natural step for them to rejoin old Chapman companies to reclaim that history. Now they own more "Chapman related history" than Group Lotus. Team Lotus was never a car moniker outside of F1 either. So reintroducing the Caterham line up as a sister company to Team Lotus is a very powerful message with the F1 legacy and the links with Colin himself.

nipo
nipo

marcush. wrote:...Trulli is really an extreme case of relying on a certain trait of the car it seems to rob him of all confidence and motivation..Interestingly Kovalainen sems to be unaffected by this .Drivers are different.
Honestly I was really surprised to see Trulli struggle so much in qualifying this season. He is down 1-8 to Kovalainen this year - not quite the expected result given Trulli has always been very fast over 1 lap.

What about the steering can cause so much pain? Any details?

marcush.
marcush.

according to Trulli the car is giving a "false" feedback through the steering and he is reacting to it.
It seems there is some oscillation (?) in the steering that is provoking his reactions but those oscillations are not caused by tyre to road interaction but seem to be a steering system trait ...so him reacting to car characteristic making it impossible for him to read the footprint eg the limit of the car..He cannot give any feedback about the car....strange...it must be really unsettling for him and it seems he is relying ONLY or mainly on steering feedback driving at the limit.
This is in line with Toyota developing their cars more and more towards having a stable planted rearend ...they elongated the wheelbase ever more and focused on rearend stability according to Yamashina...

Crafty
Crafty

Just a little bit of info re: GE, they are going to help the team with non destructive testing both at the track and factory. I'm guessing they are going to help with devices and procedures.
If I find out any specifics I'll post details.

marcush.
marcush.

Crafty wrote:Just a little bit of info re: GE, they are going to help the team with non destructive testing both at the track and factory. I'm guessing they are going to help with devices and procedures.
If I find out any specifics I'll post details.
I´d think any serious F1 team needs at least unrestricted access to big Computer Tomography device in their armoury to check quality of bonds and castings etc and look inside new and used parts to monitor their lifecyle.
Conveniently GE seems to be a big supplier of these devices in the area of healthcare but sure their hardand software can be used and adapted to the needs of a Formula 1 team...thinking of when Ferrari started having GE logos on their cars i assume this is best practise in F1 for decades already.