Mark Webber's shoulder...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
tarzoon

Re: Mark Webber's shoulder...

I think even Captain Hindsight would have predicted that a crash could happen while riding a mountain bike...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY_oKve-bH0[/youtube]

segedunum
segedunum

djos wrote:perhaps try reading it properly, mark answered your question before you asked it! #-o
Yes he did didn't he? He admits that he let this injury slip in order to try and sell a book, in so many words. It also gives a convenient excuse for how he wimped out of the championship.

The 'Q and A' doesn't contradict anything that others have read into this.

Giblet
Giblet

To be fair seg, he said that the injury had no bearing at all on his driving, so he is not using it as a scape goat.

Using it to sell a book? Sure, if it was him who let the cat out of the bag, but he just published it, not like he had a press release flaunting his new book based on #shouldergate. It is just one of many things in the book, but it has been latched on to in forums and the media.

I don't think he intended to make a big deal out of it, or have everyone else care so much about it.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Intego

For selling a book in a money making style (what some around here seem to assume) it's not a good strategy to make available only a limited amount only in Australia ...
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

strad

Intego said:
When you don't want to invest your ego, then why do you?
???
I told you >> I Don't
Show me where I have backed any of todays pilots..let alone to the point of arguing for them. It's silly that people get so ,,fanboyish, over any of them.
Even if you like one,,even if you think he's the best..You don't know them at all, you're not related,,so why invest any of yourself in them/one? Why are you willing to argue and stress yourself? To what end? You sure aren't likely to convince anyone who isn't already in your camp.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Intego

What I meant is: if you don't care, then don't care. What you do is spreading the thread with thoughts you don't like. I can ignore that.
Plus it's intolerant not to let the people like what they want.

But we go more and more off topic. Maybe this discussion belongs to the McLaren thread. :lol: Sorry guys!
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

raymondu999

Giblet wrote:To be fair seg, he said that the injury had no bearing at all on his driving, so he is not using it as a scape goat.
The thing is we're human, and the conspiracy theorists will be saying that Mark actually didn't have an injury, said he had (as an excuse for dropping form in the last few races) and put up a brave face by saying it didn't affect his driving.

Not saying I subscribe to that belief, but some people would.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

strad

Intego wrote:What I meant is: if you don't care, then don't care. What you do is spreading the thread with thoughts you don't like. I can ignore that.
Plus it's intolerant not to let the people like what they want.

But we go more and more off topic. Maybe this discussion belongs to the McLaren thread. :lol: Sorry guys!
Whoa there Intego...I love F1...been following for over 45 years.
I never said anyone could not like/LOVE anyone...but I reserve the right to say what I think...And I think the book is self serving pap and not worth the read...now if you feel otherwise...fine,,,but you ain't gonna force feed me your opinion. Nor are you going to stifle my right to an opinion and to express it. I haven't slagged anyone.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Giblet
Giblet

I assume that you have come to the conclusion that the book is self serving pap and not worth the read means you have read it, have you?

If not, it is not a opinion worth regarding :)

I haven't read it either, but plan to.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

megz

Give the guy a break, I've personally fractured my wrists requiring a cast for 6 weeks on three different occasions ALL more pathetic than this - once a fell from a small set of monkey bars as a child, the second time I fell off my bike (similar situation as Mark then) and a third time being tackled while playing softball (don't ask me how) injuries can happen at any time. I remember a kid in my class in intermediate broke her wrist falling off an office chair at home, DEAR GOD MARK, DON'T SIT DOWN YOU MIGHT FALL OVER AND KILL YOURSELF?!.

ANYONE in the championship or in the general population can get well injured doing just about anything. Was he being careless? Possibly, but he does and has done plenty of biking in the past - probably at levels far more difficult than what he was doing at the time. His friend came off ahead of him and had it been a one lane dirt track he would have been --- out of luck to avoid him. Could have happened to anyone.

xpensive
xpensive

The signing is pretty clearly written on the wall, isn't it honorable members, the Aussie is checking out?

I hope it doesn't mean that I have to behold Fernando Alonso taking every pole, leading every lap and win every race?

Because that's what Formula One would be like if they gave him an RBR with a Mercedes engine.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Giblet
Giblet

So the guy has a contract for 2011, helped clinch the WCC, was WDC leader, got over a broken leg, was in it until the final race, Vettel and him cleared the air, he's received praise from Horner after the season was over, calling him an important member of the team, but because he wrote something in a book that the media picked up on, he's history?

Seems like too many people are putting too much weight behind a book.

xpensive
xpensive

Giblet wrote:So the guy has a contract for 2011, helped clinch the WCC, was WDC leader, got over a broken leg, was in it until the final race, Vettel and him cleared the air, he's received praise from Horner after the season was over, calling him an important member of the team, but because he wrote something in a book that the media picked up on, he's history?
Pretty much so I'm afraid.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

strad

I balk at the headlines that call him/it heroic and the fanboys believing it.
The self aggrandisement is just too much to take.
One the one hand he acts as if he's playing it down, where in truth there is no reason to even mention it.
Many here on this board have probably had to man up and tough it through worse just to work and put food on the table.
Sir Stirling Moss

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

strad wrote:I balk at the headlines that call him/it heroic and the fanboys believing it.
The self aggrandisement is just too much to take.
One the one hand he acts as if he's playing it down, where in truth there is no reason to even mention it.
Many here on this board have probably had to man up and tough it through worse just to work and put food on the table.
+1

Here was me thinking that Webber was the first person in the history of the human race to break his leg due to his own stupidity or supposedly have a sore shoulder, again due to his on stupidity. I also thought he was the only sports person to ever compete with an injury. The Mark Webber injuries have been extremely overstated and milked far too much.