2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
bill shoe
bill shoe

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

I’m starting to understand the thinking behind the 8-speed gearbox. Each team will choose 8 ratios for the entire season. You might only use 8th gear at Monza and then the rest of the season that gear ratio is just along for the ride. If you like my idea of doing very few gear changes (due to the constant-power engine) then perhaps several of the ratios are simply along for the ride.

The good part is that drivers will never (except perhaps at Monza) run out of gear ratios to run higher top speed with DRS. Also, the constant-power engine allows the single set of 8 ratios to be at least reasonably well suited to any track.

The bad part is that there is less engineering thinking and creativity allowed. If you prefer fewer gear changes then you still have to accept the expense, volume, and mass of extra gears.

hecti
hecti

I think its just going to be to complicated for regular watchers. Same thing that happened at silverstone with all the exhaust talk.

strad

Trust me..It is not over my head...It just isn't what F1 is about and therefore it's lessening and lessening it's value on any level, especially racing value.
DRS...electric cars in the pits..fuel restrictions...BAH!
Gonna be the biggest joke ever in racing.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

WhiteBlue

There will be a lot of areas which can be exploited in the future to improve the engine power:
  • variable turbine geometries
  • CVT feed back of turbo compound power
  • variable valves and possibly compression
  • front MGUKs
  • weight reduction
Those things will cost money which may not be available for the first shot, but they may be liberated step by step to provide more innovation in the future and further reduce fuel flow. In effect this is a lex Cosworth. The independent teams will profit by lower engine development cost.

The 100 kg/h fuel flow limit is exactly as reported by Scarbs in last December. That is obviously the single mandatory spec the FiA wasn't prepare to compromise on. The further reduction of the fuel flow below 10,500 rpm forces the designers to at least use 10,500 rpm instead of staying as low as 8,500 which could be more efficient and yield more power. I doubt that the rev band between 10,500 and 15,000 will see much use considering that there is no boost limit in the regs. For optimal power generation those revs need to be avoided. So the lifting of the red line to 15,000 is purely a paper based thing as initially expected.

If I have read it correctly the injection system will also be FiA specified. This is clearly aimed at preventing an injection system arms race.

As expected the engine/chassis interface is heavily specified in order to facilitate engine switches between teams.

Throttle and brake control will be full dual torque mode by a single pedal. KERS push to pass is a thing of the past. Consequently the 120 kW electric power will be available all the time on demand if the ERS is capable of collecting that much juice from the MGUK and MGUH.

Electric only in the pit lane and the use of the MGUK as an electric starter will be a nice benefit IMO.

Wheels will remain small, so 18" wheels will be further delayed until 2015 at least. The front wings will be smaller and the noses lower, which is good for safety reasons. A pity that they will not use the tunnel concept, but the leading teams apparently fear a shake up of the order.

Things are looking good for Red Bull to cement their grip at the top of the sport. I don't mind that one bit. Ferrari got their V6 but little else what they can use to outspend the other teams.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

WhiteBlue wrote:There will be a lot of areas which can be exploited in the future to improve the engine power:
No, the rules quoted earlier in the thread specifically outlaw this. Another example of "road-relevant F1" that isn't allowed to use road-relevant technology...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

WhiteBlue

Just_a_fan wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:There will be a lot of areas which can be exploited in the future to improve the engine power:
No, the rules quoted earlier in the thread specifically outlaw this. Another example of "road-relevant F1" that isn't allowed to use road-relevant technology...
The published rules are for 2014. There is nothing that says what will be legal in 2015-2018.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

PlatinumZealot

So... fairly levelled horsepower above 10,000 rpms?

This means at Monza, you will not need to reach that 1500 rpm redline without using your KERS... very interesting indeed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bill shoe
bill shoe

I'm still figuring this out.
5.2.7 The MGUK may only recover energy from or give back energy to the car via its mechanical link
to the drive train. This mechanical link must be of fixed speed ratio to the engine crankshaft
and may be clutched.

5.2.8 The MGUH may only recover energy from or give back energy to the car via its mechanical link
to the exhaust turbine of a pressure charging system. This mechanical link must be of fixed
speed ratio to the exhaust turbine and may be clutched.
In 2014 you must have a conventional KERS motor generator unit (MGU) on the crank. You must have this to meet the pit lane electric-only rule. The FIA refers to this unit as MGUK where K is Kinetic.

You have the choice to add an MGU on the turbo. The FIA refers to this unit as MGUH where H is Heat. The turbo and its MGUH will never directly drive the car. This turbo MGU can send energy to the battery so the conventional KERS can use it, and it can also take energy from the battery to spool up the turbo (reducing lag or exhaust back pressure).

The conventional KERS MGU (sorry, the MGUK) can apply 4 MJ of energy per lap but it can only harvest 2 MJ per lap. Therefore, if you want to use the last 2 MJ then you must harvest it from the turbo MGU (sorry, the MGUH).

In theory, if your driver prefered the brake feel or you thought it was more efficient, you could harvest all energy from the MGUH up to the full 4 MJ. You could theoretically make the MGUH a permanent generator and the MGUK a permanent motor.

bill shoe
bill shoe

Did I mention I'm still figuring this out? Here is another point.

The limit on KERS power output to the MGUK is 120kW. Notice this limit is on the MGUK by itself, not both MGU's combined. This means if you wanted to go gangbusters on the straight at Monza you could (until you ran down the battery) do the full 120kW out the MGUK, and put an unlimited amount of power out the MGUH in order to reduce exhaust backpressure.

rjsa
rjsa

It must be remembered that the teams will have *THE SAME* 8 gear ratios - from crank to wheel - the whole season, so the RPM band will be used.

WhiteBlue

bill shoe wrote:Did I mention I'm still figuring this out? Here is another point.

The limit on KERS power output to the MGUK is 120kW. Notice this limit is on the MGUK by itself, not both MGU's combined. This means if you wanted to go gangbusters on the straight at Monza you could (until you ran down the battery) do the full 120kW out the MGUK, and put an unlimited amount of power out the MGUH in order to reduce exhaust backpressure.
Realistically your engine will never rev beyond 10,500 rpm because added rpm will suck power that is supposed to go to the wheels.

The MGUH will initially be fed power from the battery (ER) to spool up the turbo. Once the engine is above 2,000 rpm you don't need spooling up and the MGUH is used to absorb excess turbine torque and produce electrical energy that can be fed to the MGUK. This is why you have constant gearing between the turbo shaft and the crank shaft. The power balance is always achieved by loop controlling a positive or negative torque from the MGUH. The constant gear ratio between the turbo shaft and the crank shaft is not for power transmission. it is only for syncing. Power flow will be totally electric. In low rev conditions expect the turbo shaft to be disengaged from the crank shaft. That's the reason why they have foreseen a clutch there.

WhiteBlue

rjsa wrote:It must be remembered that the teams will have *THE SAME* 8 gear ratios - from crank to wheel - the whole season, so the RPM band will be used.
I don't think so. I rather think that teams will use 7 gears under "usual" conditions and have an over drive gear for Monza and the like.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 22 Jul 2011, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.

xpensive
xpensive

True bill, but this advanced technology, which still does not xist, means that Cosworth will certainly be out by 2014.

So will Mercedes, why it is intriguing to behold who will be there by that time, the return of Toyota and Honda perhaps?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Holm86

There is no boost limit right now but wont they have come up with a boost limit that forces the manufacturers to go to the 15.000rpm limit?

WhiteBlue

Holm86 wrote:There is no boost limit right now but wont they have come up with a boost limit that forces the manufacturers to go to the 15.000rpm limit?
Why should there be such a requirement? It is contrary to the objective of a massive efficiency step in power train design.

Every engine with a different lay out and aspiration will sound different. It is an illusion to think that a particular frequency composition of engine sound can or should be preserved in F1. People will still realize that F1 engines will be massively loud in 2014. The sound will be slightly lower in frequency composition but it will be very emotional. Of that we can be sure.