2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

matt21 wrote:Just an idea coming to my mind this morning.

When the MGHU is attached to the turbo, it can be used to speed up the turbine during throttle-off in order to keep it spinning.
But does it make sense to use it as a sort of limiter, by the meaning of extracting electric energyy in order to control the maximum boost pressure.
If so, I think you can get rid of the wastegate.
A most interesting idea matt, never thought of it that way, but it makes a lot of sense to me anyway.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

raymondu999

Just a question I had in mind. With the new KERS system which I believe will have double the output of the current one, and thus recovering more braking energy, as well as recovering some exhaust energy with the Turbo, how much more efficient are the new engines going to be?

Also, Sam Michael mentioned, I believe in Nurburgring FP2, that the new engines won't be peaky, and will have a flat torque curve, which is why the concept of fixed gear ratios (choose 8 at the start of the year, and you're stuck) will work as the torque you're getting is the same throughout the rev bands anyways. Why would this be? I mean, wouldn't a turbo just augment the torque curve? Also, in a car, generally you think of a bigger turbo needing more revs to spool it up and giving a bigger boost, while a smaller one will have less lag and less boost. Which will they go for?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

matt21

Edited as the MGUH the exhaust turbine and the compressor have to be coupled by the same shaft.

The base for an electric-assisted turbo without wastegate has been laid.
See the part "DynaCharger.
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Electric ... ticle.html

Another ides:
Control of the boost pressure by a pop-off valve and use the waste air to blow the wings.

FW17

What is front-end timing drive?

How does it move the weight balance forward?

What will be the thought process on this for 2014?

ringo

matt21 wrote:Edited as the MGUH the exhaust turbine and the compressor have to be coupled by the same shaft.

Another ides:
Control of the boost pressure by a pop-off valve and use the waste air to blow the wings.
Would be considered as an exhuast pipe by the regulations?
For Sure!!

wuzak
wuzak

ringo wrote:
matt21 wrote:Edited as the MGUH the exhaust turbine and the compressor have to be coupled by the same shaft.

Another ides:
Would be considered as an exhuast pipe by the regulations?
I think it would, but also I think it would be a waste of energy.

The energy that is used to compress the extra air would be more usefully converted to electric power by the MGUH and transferred directly to the MGUK.

wuzak
wuzak

The rules allow for 2MJ to be harvested by the MGUK during braking per lap, but allows 4MJ of energy to be used by the MGUK per lap.

Does this mean that the extra 2MJ comes from the MGUH? Or is the MGUH "free" - ie, can the MGUH be directly used and not counted in the 4MJ per lap?

If the MGUH energy is free, then how would the teams use the extra energy available for a lap? Would they have like an engine map which turns off the MGUK, and then switch it on for the next lap?

And would anyone do a lap using 0MJ from the MGUK and then switch it on for 4MJ the next lap?

WhiteBlue

matt21 wrote:Just an idea coming to my mind this morning.

When the MGHU is attached to the turbo, it can be used to speed up the turbine during throttle-off in order to keep it spinning.
But does it make sense to use it as a sort of limiter, by the meaning of extracting electric energyy in order to control the maximum boost pressure.
If so, I think you can get rid of the wastegate.

Maybe like this:
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/34673637/Di ... bocompound
That is an application which I have predicted a long time ago.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

raymondu999

Sam Michael mentioned, I believe in Nurburgring FP2, that the new engines won't be peaky, and will have a flat torque curve, which is why the concept of fixed gear ratios (choose 8 at the start of the year, and you're stuck) will work as the torque you're getting is the same throughout the rev bands anyways. Why would this be? Would a turbo not:

a) just augment the torque curve?
b) make things more peaky?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

xpensive
xpensive

Not the torque-, but the power-curve above 10.5 kRpm will be basically flat as a result of the constant fuel-flow, 27.8 g/s.

raymondu999

10.5k? The things rev up to 15k in the regs, no? As I understand it, there's a rudimentary equation; something like at any given RPM, power = torque*rpm/5252

If power is "basically" or "close to" flat, while rpm is increasing, would that not mean torque would be decreasing in an inversely proportional manner to that rpm?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

xpensive
xpensive

Between 10.5 and 15 kRpm, the fuel-flow must not exceed 100 kg/h (27.8 g/s), which means that given a constant mechanical efficiency of the engine, the power will be constant through that span, while torque will fall off in the fashion you described.

raymondu999

Got it. Should be interesting with the gear ratios. What do you guys think will be hit in Monaco? 5th gear? 6th? Monza will be the 8th gear methinks.

With all this talk of a constant power output, makes me wonder why they didn't opt for a CVT :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Paul

Because all the noise lovers would certainly jump off bridges then. :lol:

donskar
donskar

Isn't CVT illegal?

I can't wait for these new engines. Truly new as far as I can see.

BTW, this is the sort of thread that keeps me coming back to F1T. I can't follow it all, and it makes my brain hurt, but in a good way. Invigorating and educational -- what could be better?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill