2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
rjsa
rjsa

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Joie de vivre wrote:so mclaren, FI and williams also have split turbos?
Yes, and that's the reason why Ferrari and Red Bull asre having a hard time with Fifi and Williams.

MCLaren amazes me on the other hand. How are they screwing this one?

xpensive
xpensive

I'm not even sure if the turbine has to be on a common shaft with the compressor, has it?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

xpensive wrote:I'm not even sure if the turbine has to be on a common shaft with the compressor, has it?
IIRC rules speak about clutch and gearing for the MGU-H but it seems to me both turbines must share a common shaft.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

xpensive
xpensive

Dragonfly wrote:
xpensive wrote:I'm not even sure if the turbine has to be on a common shaft with the compressor, has it?
IIRC rules speak about clutch and gearing for the MGU-H but it seems to me both turbines must share a common shaft.
What if we have a loophole here that Renault missed, I have difficulties to see a common shaft across the engine??
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

321apex
321apex

In my view, the so called split or non-split turbine housings are dead end arguments, largely irrelevant in so far as performance deficits are concerned.

My general feel is that Mercedes team cars have significantly higher quality of applying power to rear wheels. That means, their "quality of power application" is superior to Mercedes customer teams. Taking into consideration hardware itself, which in my view is the same in all Mercedes powered teams including works team, I would seek the answer in the area of rear wheel braking/power application. As such this would dwell primarily in the area of LOGIC and software sophistication.

Under braking something approaching ABS and under power something approaching TC, both of which are officially illegal.

What Mercedes has given their customers is most likely not the same as what they are using.
This is not the game of who has the most power, but the quality of putting it down on the pavement.

If we assume, that Mercedes works team has no track record of being the best in aero or chassis efficiency, the areas I mentioned are likely the only ones to seek the answer.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

321apex wrote: .... My general feel is that Mercedes team cars have significantly higher quality of applying power to rear wheels. ......
Under braking something approaching ABS and under power something approaching TC, both of which are officially illegal. ....
the hardest thing to achieve would be a dual-torque drive system that is neutral (neither positive or negative) in ABS and TC 'effects'
any real system that is stable overall will have some level of ABS and TC 'effect'
overall the systems are all (necessarily) stable, though some may still have momentary discontinuities
of course, it's only ABS or TC if it engages with the rules defining what is ABS and TC (these systems don't)

another point .....
from around 1 hr 5 min 58 sec to 6 min 15 sec on the BBC race coverage (lap 53 turn 4 onwards)
Hamilton's car flashes its red light at 2 places with some power on (ie little or no braking)
the commentary seems to say this is a warning of reduced acceleration (on straight), and describe it as 'gathering energy'

are we seeing mgu-k recovery under power ??
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 07 Apr 2014, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.

kooleracer
kooleracer

321apex wrote:In my view, the so called split or non-split turbine housings are dead end arguments, largely irrelevant in so far as performance deficits are concerned.

My general feel is that Mercedes team cars have significantly higher quality of applying power to rear wheels. That means, their "quality of power application" is superior to Mercedes customer teams. Taking into consideration hardware itself, which in my view is the same in all Mercedes powered teams including works team, I would seek the answer in the area of rear wheel braking/power application. As such this would dwell primarily in the area of LOGIC and software sophistication.

Under braking something approaching ABS and under power something approaching TC, both of which are officially illegal.

What Mercedes has given their customers is most likely not the same as what they are using.
This is not the game of who has the most power, but the quality of putting it down on the pavement.

If we assume, that Mercedes works team has no track record of being the best in aero or chassis efficiency, the areas I mentioned are likely the only ones to seek the answer.
I think that are really bad assumption, because the amount of people Mercedes have recruited over the past years is an important factor in their up rise. Mike Elliot from Lotus is the new Head of Aero, were the previous cars were all under the helm of Loic Bigois. Thats a big change also this chasis has been in development for quite a long time. I think people are putting the emphasis on the delta between Merecedes and the rest to much on the engine. Mercedes is miles a head of the other Mercedes customers. These is the evidence that there car is not only about the powerunit, its more about the chassis and things under the bonnet. If you see how the cars rolls in to turn 9 & 10 you can clearly see there are doing something clever with the suspension. Also the fact that they are the kindest on their tyres says a lot about the car. The rear and the front aero balance in perfectly balanced. Lewis his driven some superb MP4's in he career and for him to say this is the best car says a lot about the W05. The Renault and Ferrari powerunit are less sophisticated at the moment. But don't think that if the powerunit's are on par that Red Bull and Ferrari will be able to match Mercedes on track. I really think that the W05 is just one of those cars that will be proved unbeatable during this season. There is a lot fuss made about Renault being down on power, but let not forget that Red Bull has been inherently slow on long straights its not a new issue. If look at the top-speeds Torro Rosso doesn't seem to far off and is sometimes even quicker. I look at the data its not Renault but Ferrari that is lacking speed. Ferrari is even slower then Renault but the journalists are always taking over each others bs instead of doing some real investigative journalism. Red Bull is putting Renault in the spotlight but the matter of the fact is the RB10 isn't on par with the W05. Ferrari can't blame anyone because the develop the chasis and the engine thats why they are now trying the blame the FIA with statements like: "this isnt F1", "their is no noise " "we should get rid of the fuel flow meter" etc. F1 has always been about politics.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Juzh

kooleracer wrote:There is a lot fuss made about Renault being down on power, but let not forget that Red Bull has been inherently slow on long straights its not a new issue. If look at the top-speeds Torro Rosso doesn't seem to far off and is sometimes even quicker. I look at the data its not Renault but Ferrari that is lacking speed. Ferrari is even slower then Renault but the journalists are always taking over each others bs instead of doing some real investigative journalism. Red Bull is putting Renault in the spotlight but the matter of the fact is the RB10 isn't on par with the W05. Ferrari can't blame anyone because the develop the chasis and the engine thats why they are now trying the blame the FIA with statements like: "this isnt F1", "their is no noise " "we should get rid of the fuel flow meter" etc. F1 has always been about politics.
I see you're really trying very hard to blind yourself from the truth. Renault PU is considerably down on power and that is a FACT, easily supported by numbers and onboard videos (and the fact that renault admits they're behind). Even raikonnen was pulling away from vettel on the straights. Toro rosso was always one of the most slippery cars on the grid at the expense of being miles off the ultimate pace. Anyone can set their car to be slippery as anything, but not everyone can maintain lap times doing so. Also, RBs of the past were not always inherently slow on the straights. RB7 was at least comparable to mclarens (faster on some circuits) while RB9 was the fastest by some margin.

Abarth

Tommy Cookers wrote:[[...]another point .....
from around 1 hr 5 min 58 sec to 6 min 15 sec on the BBC race coverage (lap 53 turn 4 onwards)
Hamilton's car flashes its red light at 2 places with some power on (ie little or no braking)
the commentary seems to say this is a warning of reduced acceleration (on straight), and describe it as 'gathering energy'

are we seeing mgu-k recovery under power ??
As I stated already some days ago, I'm pretty sure that this is a very real option. At any point where the driver has a torque demand of <100% and >0%, you could run the ICE at a higher troque than required and apply a negative MGU-K torque.

On circuits or racing conditions where they do not have to watch for consumption, you have some advantages:
- pure electric modulation of about 240 kW (from ICE minus 120kW to ICE plus 120 kW), which can be delivered with higher precision and even "pulsed" or whatever to improve traction.
- You can harvest the 2MJ allowed with MGU-K, as the harvesting only from braking will not suffice to achieve this.

Of course there is the maximum harvesting limit of MGU-K ist there, OTOH it's not not a very high percentage of torque demand <100 / > 0% during a lap.

dren

A quote from Kimi talking about the FI:

"I was surprised. He came out of the pitlane but I had only done a few laps on the tyres. I went OK out of the corner and he just came inside of me and went past; I had no answer.

"And the next corner he had massive traction also, so it's not just the horsepower."
Honda!

kooleracer
kooleracer

Juzh wrote:
kooleracer wrote:There is a lot fuss made about Renault being down on power, but let not forget that Red Bull has been inherently slow on long straights its not a new issue. If look at the top-speeds Torro Rosso doesn't seem to far off and is sometimes even quicker. I look at the data its not Renault but Ferrari that is lacking speed. Ferrari is even slower then Renault but the journalists are always taking over each others bs instead of doing some real investigative journalism. Red Bull is putting Renault in the spotlight but the matter of the fact is the RB10 isn't on par with the W05. Ferrari can't blame anyone because the develop the chasis and the engine thats why they are now trying the blame the FIA with statements like: "this isnt F1", "their is no noise " "we should get rid of the fuel flow meter" etc. F1 has always been about politics.
I see you're really trying very hard to blind yourself from the truth. Renault PU is considerably down on power and that is a FACT, easily supported by numbers and onboard videos (and the fact that renault admits they're behind). Even raikonnen was pulling away from vettel on the straights. Toro rosso was always one of the most slippery cars on the grid at the expense of being miles off the ultimate pace. Anyone can set their car to be slippery as anything, but not everyone can maintain lap times doing so. Also, RBs of the past were not always inherently slow on the straights. RB7 was at least comparable to mclarens (faster on some circuits) while RB9 was the fastest by some margin.
So the Renault PU should only be jugged by how Red Bull performs with it totally nonsense. Red Bull in 2012 had a dominent car both failed to win in Belgium, Italy and Canada. All highspeed lowdrag circuits, thats called a trend. Every team can pile on the down force but its about the drag those parts create. We can all just convince ourselves the Renault PU is weak but the matter of the fact is the Ferrari PU is even weaker thats why the ended were they did in Bahrain. And look were Sauber is at the moment. Go the Fia website an look at actual data and you will see that you are talking rubbish my friend. Onboards are a snapshot of the bigger picture that is called data. Kimi could have pulled away because he was manually overriding the power delivery and asking max power from the battery. If you look at the whole race were everyone has asked at some point the max. of the engine because of the safety car and no need to safe fuel the figures are quite clear.

http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... ds_V01.pdf

If analyse this data and still look it the mirror saying that Renault PU is worse then the Ferrari. Then I rest my case.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

321apex
321apex

Tommy Cookers wrote: are we seeing mgu-k recovery under power ??
I would not be surprised at all. If the rules allow it, the MGU-K modulation as generator would effectively act as TC while being charged.

Abarth

kooleracer wrote:[[....] If you look at the whole race were everyone has asked at some point the max. of the engine because of the safety car and no need to safe fuel the figures are quite clear.

If analyse this data and still look it the mirror saying that Renault PU is worse then the Ferrari. Then I rest my case.
These are Vmax at the sector measurement points and are not so far from the corner exits.
These speeds do not really reflect the engine power, as it doesn't the max speed at the speed trap.

If you want to extract power from available data, I suggest to vistit the thread started by Blanchimont:
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =4&t=18886

His approach is quite a bit more scientific than this bickering here....

Juzh

kooleracer wrote: So the Renault PU should only be jugged by how Red Bull performs with it totally nonsense. Red Bull in 2012 had a dominent car both failed to win in Belgium, Italy and Canada. All highspeed lowdrag circuits, thats called a trend. Every team can pile on the down force but its about the drag those parts create. We can all just convince ourselves the Renault PU is weak but the matter of the fact is the Ferrari PU is even weaker thats why the ended were they did in Bahrain. And look were Sauber is at the moment. Go the Fia website an look at actual data and you will see that you are talking rubbish my friend. Onboards are a snapshot of the bigger picture that is called data. Kimi could have pulled away because he was manually overriding the power delivery and asking max power from the battery. If you look at the whole race were everyone has asked at some point the max. of the engine because of the safety car and no need to safe fuel the figures are quite clear.

As RB is the only renault car capable of ducking it out at the front, yes, it's the only car worth measuring against others. Toro rosso for instance was by FAR the fastest accelerating car in a straight line in monza 2011 but finished +1 lap to Vettel's red bull. Ferrari is known to have bad traction, nothing new here. Also, I didn't say ferrari is better PU than renault, I said it outputs more power, which is the only logical explanation, given how ferrari has worse traction than red bull and still pulls away from him despite drs and slipstream out of T10. Even if kimi was manually overriding E-power he was doing it for quite a long time and he was able to defend 2 drs zones with not too much trouble. So long in fact vettel had to overtake him into final turn which is unusual to say the least.
But ferarri is not the issue here. We're talking about merc. The trend is clear when 5 or 6 cars powered by the same engine are always at the top of the speed traps and can not be overtaken in a straight line unless you're running the same engine.
I didn't even mention RB8, but as you brought it up: red bull RB8 was anything but dominant before asian races bar few exceptions. They took pole in canada in case you forgot, but fell back in the race because of tire degradation. After they've introduced DDRS it regained lots of their missing speed in quali. RB5 and 6 were the only RBs of 2009 aero regs that were noticeably slower than competition in a straight. Pre-2009 renault engine was simply garbage and can not be taken into consideration.

321apex
321apex

I have a hunch, that in this new hybrid F1 era, Ferrari is going to become a small fish.

What business value does Ferrari present to Toshiba, Samsung or other Li-ion battery producers or hybrid electric technology providers (HETP) already cooperating with large volume OEMs ? Mercedes, Toyota, Honda are far more valuable partners to HETP because of the business potentially turning into multi million unit volume at OEM level.

Hybrid technology being new does not have that many even level technological participants to pick from. In the old days of sole piston power you didn't have to go to Zeus, or Pankl or Mahle, or Del West or Metalore to get parts from. There were others specializing in race hardware, who could work with you and provided there was sufficient time and money something top level could be created. With hybrid there are no Zeus-es, Pankls, Matalores.

In new F1, Scuderia no longer controls a key ingredient of winning success