2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gruntguru
gruntguru

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Tommy Cookers wrote:Renaultsport said that they used 4 cylinder running on the NA V8s for driveability (article in the Technology section), so everyone did now, IMO everyone at partial power uses 3 cylinders unthrottled, being more efficient at than 6 cylinders throttled to partial power some production cars also use/used this (cylinder cutting aka modulated displacement)
I agree, it makes sense to cut cylinders and I would add:

1. Rather than reduce to "3" or some other number of fixed cylinders it would make sense to rotate the cylinder skipping to distribute thermal loads equally to all cylinders. This strategy is more robust with DI than PFI by eliminating the possibility of any fuel being scavenged.

2. Cylinder skipping is not as beneficial under the current rules. Load can be reduced by a factor of 6 or more without throttling, by reducing boost plus stratified charge leaning (as with road going DI systems which run 40:1 or more)
je suis charlie

hurril
hurril

gruntguru wrote:
hurril wrote:Any thoughts on why there's such a big difference between the sound of the mercedes engines in comparison to the other's? In particular, I find that the lower-range characteristics of it is quite different.
Probably the log style exhaust headers. Equal-length headers as used by the other teams produce a more consistent timbre as revs change whereas an "unequal" system like MB will sound different at different revs due to wave cancellations and reinforcements occuring at specific engine speeds.
This is new to me and I get this now that I've listened to the clips provided above.

mrluke
mrluke

I thought it was due to how well the team can control boost with the mgu-h rather than resorting to the wastegate.

I figured that Mercedes were using their wg very little which made the engine sound very smooth whereas Ferrari especially are opening their WG a lot, and the Renault teams have varying levels of success.

Suggest this is supported by the size of WG piping on the Ferrari and the surplus of power the Mercedes seem to have.

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

Mr Luke: got any audio / video clips comparing the different sounds?

I'm *guessing* waste gate opening at full load should show up more strongly in (unimpeded) 3rd order at rear of the car?

mrluke
mrluke

I have some but I doubt they are good enough to do any sort of analysis on, hopefully you can hear what I am referring to.

https://mega.co.nz/#!3cZXjaiS!ghwDGrRNr ... Zq2CqbQgWw

The video above shows a mclaren followed by force india (I think) followed by a sauber, you can clearly hear the difference in tone when the sauber gets back on the throttle.

The next video is not much clearer.

However you can hear each ferrari go past and tell exactly when they get on the throttle, in marked contrast to the Mercedes that is much quieter.

I dont seem to have any videos with the torro rosso in but they were quite similar to the ferraris.

https://mega.co.nz/#!LJhxTJyJ!EwNUCvMHH ... R0tzi-9tg4

David1976
David1976

There were a few rumour's recently indicating that Mercedes had made large advances with their engine for 2015.

Where could we expect them to get an advance given that they are already quite a bit better than the Renault and the Ferrari power trains?

How much power - in total - are these units producing these days?

I know we can only speculate - but is there really a lot of advances in power output that can be made in terms of power output given the limits imposed by the rules?

hurril
hurril

David1976 wrote:There were a few rumour's recently indicating that Mercedes had made large advances with their engine for 2015.

Where could we expect them to get an advance given that they are already quite a bit better than the Renault and the Ferrari power trains?

How much power - in total - are these units producing these days?

I know we can only speculate - but is there really a lot of advances in power output that can be made in terms of power output given the limits imposed by the rules?
Where are these rumours presented?

David1976
David1976

"It is noticeable that the volume has been turned up on this debate since rumours began to emerge that Mercedes’ power unit upgrade for 2015 is a significant one, so it looks possible that next season could be as Mercedes-dominated as this year has been".

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/10/t ... -question/

I read it somewhere else too.

Juzh

David1976 wrote: How much power - in total - are these units producing these days?
I'd guess merc is probably pushing 850 to the ground, maybe a bit less.

rscsr

Juzh wrote:
David1976 wrote: How much power - in total - are these units producing these days?
In the last RET it was written that Renault and Ferrari are guessing the Mercedes PU at a bit less outright power in qualifying mode than last year. So I'd say about 725bhp.

toraabe
toraabe

Juzh wrote:
Louts claims that the Mercedes engine has 85 hp more than the Renault, is smaller physical and is 18 kg lighter . http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 72712.html

Juzh

rscsr wrote:
Juzh wrote:
In the last RET it was written that Renault and Ferrari are guessing the Mercedes PU at a bit less outright power in qualifying mode than last year. So I'd say about 725bhp.
There's no way 725bhp would accelerate mercs as they do, let alone allowed them to reach 360kph in monza while running relatively high wings and 100 kg more overall weight.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Juzh wrote:
rscsr wrote:
Juzh wrote:
There's no way 725bhp would accelerate mercs as they do, let alone allowed them to reach 360kph in monza while running relatively high wings and 100 kg more overall weight.
From calculations done before it seems that the merc probably produces somewhere between 750 to 800 hp.

Juzh remember that this year the beam wing is gone and the rear wing is mandated to be shallower than previously. That is a sizeable downforce, and drag, reduction over last year. Not to mention previous years exhaust sealed diffuser setup reduced power by a noticeable amount. Enough that when Williams removed it, they got back a fair bit of straight line speed.
Last edited by trinidefender on 16 Oct 2014, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

speedy56
speedy56

Does anybody here maybe know aprox. dimension of the ICE and radiators (it isnt important which team, Im just curious how big they are)

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

The rev limiter, which limited top speeds last year when DRS was activated, is gone, too. Then, DRS this season is more effective as the maximum distance between the two elements when DRS is activated was increased to 65mm from 50mm in 2013.

For 2015 there is a little change in the regulations. Is this of any importance for a supercharged engine?

"5.9.3 Variable length intake trumpets are forbidden in 2014 only."
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)