2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
lio007

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Blackout wrote:AMuS says Renault started the 2015 project/fired up the engine in august while Renault states it was in July. And AMuS keeps repeating the same old ''information'': The RS34 vibrates too much and has many other mechanical defaults while people inside and outside Renault rubbished that claim log time ago.*
The article even claims that Renault has only just begun with the 2015 development in august. Ferrari in July.

AMuS-comment

Blackout

:)
But Remy Taffin said this in september (google trad)
"Both solutions (classic turbo-split turbo) are studied in parallel... we have not chosen yet, says Taffin. This is quite a change, the current tests on the bench are conducted in this configuration [the current architecture] because we have many other things to try, it is not our primary layout. But it is not impossible that a version like that [Mercedes] sees the light of the day next year or the year after." Belgian F1i magazine

lio007

anyway...time will tell, which solution is going to appear on track. "Only" a few months to wait ;-)

ringo

The architecture has a bigger impact on the aerodynamics and airflow through under the engine cover.
It's not the reason the car is so powerful. Going with a split turbo would not bring a ferrari engine on par with a mercedes.
And we know this because mclaren has mercedes power and are still no match for the works team.
What this points to is the ERS and MGUH generator motor and somewhat the turbine design and size.
I think the other engine makers will catch up to mercedes and are merely downplaying the potential that they can fulfil if the target the mercedes benchmark.
I feel in two years time the engines will be so similar in power output that the performance differentiator will be fuel economy. Ie who has to save fuel first.
For Sure!!

gruntguru
gruntguru

Don't forget at WOT they all use fuel at the same rate - 100kg/hr. If they all have the same performance, they all hae the same economy. Any difference would be down to energy recycling and management.
je suis charlie

Blackout

ringo wrote:The architecture has a bigger impact on the aerodynamics and airflow through under the engine cover.
It's not the reason the car is so powerful. Going with a split turbo would not bring a ferrari engine on par with a mercedes.
And we know this because mclaren has mercedes power and are still no match for the works team.
What this points to is the ERS and MGUH generator motor and somewhat the turbine design and size.
I think the other engine makers will catch up to mercedes and are merely downplaying the potential that they can fulfil if the target the mercedes benchmark.
I feel in two years time the engines will be so similar in power output that the performance differentiator will be fuel economy. Ie who has to save fuel first.
But Mclaren do not use the fuel and the oils that has been developed by Petronas and Mrecedes especially for that PU. That would explain why the MP4-29 lacks power and/or efficiency. It uses bell shaped rear suspensions too.
And It hasn't a monocoque-integrated intercooler which hangs directly in front of the compressor, reduces lag and drag...

What about Williams? :mrgreen:

OrangeArrows
OrangeArrows

Off topic, Next year also 5 engines due to 20 races in 2015?

Harsha
Harsha

As the season is finished what kind of drive train loss we saw in V6 T engines compared to V8 NA on average

mikeerfol

OrangeArrows wrote:Off topic, Next year also 5 engines due to 20 races in 2015?
It will drop to 4 engines per driver.

OO7
OO7

mikeerfol wrote:
In my opinion they should have waited at least another year, before limiting the number of engines used even further.

kooleracer
kooleracer

Blaze1 wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:
In my opinion they should have waited at least another year, before limiting the number of engines used even further.
Limiting engine numbers is good because it lowers the costs. But I hate to see when teams limit their mileage during FP,1,2,3 because of it. So if they can only use 4 powerunits in 20 races, are Friday engines part of the allotment of 4? And is the maximum of four only for the ICE or also the other parts?
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Harsha
Harsha

kooleracer wrote:
Limiting engine numbers is good because it lowers the costs. But I hate to see when teams limit their mileage during FP,1,2,3 because of it. So if they can only use 4 powerunits in 20 races, are Friday engines part of the allotment of 4? And is the maximum of four only for the ICE or also the other parts?
Four is the limit for PU and its components

kooleracer
kooleracer

The new provisional calender is out Korea is back in it again so maybe we will have 21 races in 2015. Will they still only have 4 powerunits?
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

lio007

kooleracer wrote:The new provisional calender is out Korea is back in it again so maybe we will have 21 races in 2015. Will they still only have 4 powerunits?
AFAIR if there are more than 20 they are allowed to use a 5th PU.

But I don't know, if the teams are only allowed to use this 5th PU in the 21st race...would be weird if that's the case.

EDIT: found it in the sporting regs => 28.4
Sporting Regulations wrote:Unless he drives for more than one team (see 28.4(d) below), each driver may use no
more than four power units during a Championship season. This number will be
increased to five if the number of Events in the Championship, as originally scheduled,
exceeds 20. If this is the case, the numbers in b) and c) below will be amended
accordingly

Moose
Moose

lio007 wrote:
kooleracer wrote:The new provisional calender is out Korea is back in it again so maybe we will have 21 races in 2015. Will they still only have 4 powerunits?
AFAIR if there are more than 20 they are allowed to use a 5th PU.

But I don't know, if the teams are only allowed to use this 5th PU in the 21st race...would be weird if that's the case.

EDIT: found it in the sporting regs => 28.4
Sporting Regulations wrote:Unless he drives for more than one team (see 28.4(d) below), each driver may use no
more than four power units during a Championship season. This number will be
increased to five if the number of Events in the Championship, as originally scheduled,
exceeds 20. If this is the case, the numbers in b) and c) below will be amended
accordingly
I don't understand why they write these odd rules with special cases. Why not just write "Unless he drives for more than one team, each driver may use no more than floor(n / 5) power units during a Championship season, where n is the number of Events in the Championship, as originally scheduled." Then they don't have to change it every time they change the number of races in the season.