2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gruntguru
gruntguru

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

PlatinumZealot wrote:
gruntguru wrote:Correct. My post made no reference to F1 - purely a response to Xpensive's claim that 40% (SI) ICE efficiency of 40% is fantasy.
(We all know CI ICE have climbed beyond 50%)
It still is fantasy. haha.

Even getting steam turbines from 49% to 50% efficiency was seen a significant achievement in the last decade. A percentage point of efficiency is no mean feat so 38% is not in the same league as 40%. two different worlds.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/08 ... ogiso.html
"The gasoline engine in the next-generation Prius powertrain feature thermal efficiency of greater than 40%; the thermal efficiency of the gasoline engine in the current Prius is 38.5%." - Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) Managing Officer Satoshi Ogiso. . . earlier in his career had been the chief engineer for the Prius, chief engineer for the Prius family, and chief engineer, product planning.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013/sm ... rius-38495

So clearly Mr Ogiso and Toyota Motor Corporation are fantasising.

Note the options for Toyota's 40+% TE engines do not include compounding. Compounding as used in F1, can clearly add a few percentage points to the TE of any SI engine although at considerable expense. Toyota's 40+% is not an absolute limit by any means.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26943423
"The new F1 engines have a thermal efficiency of "40% and above" - better than that of a road-going diesel." - Professor Dr Thomas Weber, the Daimler board member responsible for research and development.

So now we also have Daimler board members fantasising in the media. What is the world coming to?
je suis charlie

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Thanks for that 'fantastically' well-cited post!
Cheers, G-G.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

gruntguru
gruntguru

Tommy Cookers wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote: http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/rep ... rt-822.pdf

the combined power is always best around best bsfc
best bsfc is with -20" Hg on the engine used (probably -15" Hg on an engine with more liberal valve timing)
ie the loss at the crank is the same or less than the gain via the MGUH as the delta P becomes more negative
so 120 kW recovered power might cost 100 kW crankshaft power without any fuel rate limit

but the bsfc as reported is 14% better at 10000' than the same engine with turbo
extrapolation suggests 10% better at sea level
so under a fuel rate limit there's 10% more combined power with this level of compounding

but the F1 engine 'boost' will be much higher, so the best bsfc delta P might be more, maybe close to -1 bar ?
so the bsfc gain over an equivalent turbo engine should be maybe 15%
(because recovered power is largely due to the pressure difference between exhaust pressure and ambient)
giving 15% more combined power with this 'best bsfc' level of recovery
of course a suitably big MGUH and related electrical system is needed

a lower level of recovery such as Wright actually used would according to this report give only maybe 7% bsfc gain
(at lower recovery levels the bsfc gain comes from recovery that costs very little crankshaft power)
and so only 7% more combined power under a fuel rate limit
but would use a much smaller capacity MGUH and related electrical system

with a turbine-electric recovery system as in new F1 .......
in a low recovery level system the electrical power can reasonably described as free
as the efficiency improves in proportion to the electrical power
at maximal recovery level as in NACA 822 only about half the electrical power can be regarded as free
because the efficiency gain is 'only' about half the recovery level
so we should resist the inevitable media and PR attempts to tell us that eg a 120 kW MGUH recovers that much 'free'

NACA 822 is based on running at pressure (loosely, 'boost') of 40" Hg Abs (about 1.35 bar Abs)
the supercharger power is rather low, around 3 % of output power
just bumped these 2 posts for the link - might be useful for those who haven't read the whole thread (from around p 355)

maybe gg will take NACAs word that running at true backpressure is good if the exhaust valve closure is suitable ?
raised exhaust pressure helps reduces blowdown losses (my story - and it features in eg Caterpillar's compound piston patent)
and improves efficiency of the turbine expansion phase (gg's story iirc)
I know I responded to your original post some time ago. I accept the findings published in NACA 822 without question but there are at least two issues that make me wary of extrapolating the numbers to a current F1 engine.

1. There is a huge difference in specific output between the NACA test engine and a current F1 engine.
Approx 15 bar vs 38 bar BMEP. i.e. about 2.5 times the BMEP.
Specific power is approx 25 kW/L for the test engine and 350 kW/L for the F1 i.e. about 14 times the specific output.
My point here is the thermal loading. At such high levels of specific power, the F1 engine requires scavenging during valve overlap to remove heat from combustion chamber components. Wave action will help a little but high levels of scavenge cooling will require a positive pressure differential (MAP/EBP).

2. The NACA engine is carburetted. Any scavenge will waste fuel and negatively impact the SFC. The paper records best SFC "varies only slightly from the minimum for a range of exhaust pressures from 5% to 45% above MAP". Clearly with such a wide range, the SFC is not particularly sensitive to EBP but at less than 5% (approaching positive DP) the engine is beginning to scavenge fuel out the exhaust and SFC suffers. Of course the current F1 engines are DI and scavenging without loss of fuel is possible.

Also significant is the very high BMEP of the F1 engine and the significance of pumping losses. Increasing BP by 1Bar will reduce the BMEP by approximately 1 bar (PMEP will increase by about 1Bar). The same applies when increasing MAP - BMEP increases and PMEP reduces by about 1Bar. Consequently increasing both boost and back pressure by 1Bar will have negligible effect on pumping work.

As to compressor and turbine work, I have done some rough calculations for two scenarios.

1. MAP = 3.5, EBP = 3.0 Power(compressor) = 80 kW. Pt = 125 kW. Psurplus = 45 kW
2. MAP = 4.5, EBP = 4.0 Pc = 130 kW. Pt = 177 kW. Ps = 47 kW

The upshot is clearly line ball. Not much change in pumping losses, BMEP of the recip' machine nor surplus power from the turbo machinery. OTOH reducing the DP (by increasing EBP) to the following scenario might be useful.

3. MAP = 3.5, EBP = 3.5 Pc = 80 kW. Pt = 140 kW. Psurplus = 60 kW That's a 15 kW improvement. The PMEP will increase by 0.5 Bar so BMEP reduces to 37.5 and crankshaft work suffers by about 7.5 kW

All the above calculations are based on steady state flow, any harvesting of blowdown energy will obviously improve the numbers.
Last edited by gruntguru on 03 Jan 2015, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
je suis charlie

Blackout

Illien 'contradicts' Taffin and some forum members here :mrgreen:
google trad
You mentioned turbo compressor and Mercedes has two components mounted spatially far apart. Remi Taffin thinks that doing performance technically not a big difference, it's more about the installation. Do you agree?
Mario Illien: No. It therefore has a clear separation from the hot component [turbocharger] to the cold component [compressor]. This is certainly an advantage. The air comes in the charge air cooler securely in colder. About the center housing of the turbocharger heat is transferred.
Anyways... even if we assume the Merc layout doesnt improve the ICE (engine point of view), it does improve the car in many areas, on paper, from a chassis point of view

ringo

I think the media and car makers are using words in a way to make things look very impressive.

This is from my engine calculator:

ICE Brake thermal efficiency: 31.14%
BTE with KERS: 38.10%
BTE with MGUH ss: 39.45%

Now my engine is 612 bhp @ 11,000 rpm.

So these guys need to be clear if those efficiency numbers are for the power unit or the ICE. I say its for the Power unit.
My engine could be improved ofcourse and you may see 40% and a little more. So i'm with Xpensive and Zealot on this one.

Secondly the prius sees its 38% by way of mimicking the atkinson cycle which is a very efficient cycle. These in cylinder tricks cannot be carried out with the F1 engines.

here's another graph with some slight improvements:

the lower revs can be ignored, as turbine inertia was not considered. more than likely the turbo would not be spooled. and if they were spooled by the mguh, then clearly efficiency numbers would still go down.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

gruntguru wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
gruntguru wrote:Correct. My post made no reference to F1 - purely a response to Xpensive's claim that 40% (SI) ICE efficiency of 40% is fantasy.
(We all know CI ICE have climbed beyond 50%)
It still is fantasy. haha.

Even getting steam turbines from 49% to 50% efficiency was seen a significant achievement in the last decade. A percentage point of efficiency is no mean feat so 38% is not in the same league as 40%. two different worlds.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/08 ... ogiso.html
"The gasoline engine in the next-generation Prius powertrain feature thermal efficiency of greater than 40%; the thermal efficiency of the gasoline engine in the current Prius is 38.5%." - Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) Managing Officer Satoshi Ogiso. . . earlier in his career had been the chief engineer for the Prius, chief engineer for the Prius family, and chief engineer, product planning.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013/sm ... rius-38495

So clearly Mr Ogiso and Toyota Motor Corporation are fantasising.

Note the options for Toyota's 40+% TE engines do not include compounding. Compounding as used in F1, can clearly add a few percentage points to the TE of any SI engine although at considerable expense. Toyota's 40+% is not an absolute limit by any means.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26943423
"The new F1 engines have a thermal efficiency of "40% and above" - better than that of a road-going diesel." - Professor Dr Thomas Weber, the Daimler board member responsible for research and development.

So now we also have Daimler board members fantasising in the media. What is the world coming to?
Very Missleading information. These people are simply apealing to the fans.. Note that both the prius and f1 engines are hybrids. The core internsl combustion part they have not isolated in teir quotes. They are using marketing tactics to trick you. Where is the non hybrid car engine that has this termal efficiency? You wont find it becuase there is no hybrid energy system to muddy the waters with. People have to think. Please work it out. Do the math then you will see.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

wuzak
wuzak

Would they use the Miller Cycle?

Pierce89

wuzak wrote:Would they use the Miller Cycle?
Are you referring to compressing against the intake pressure instead of closing the intake valve? Like Mazda has messed around with?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

wuzak
wuzak

Pierce89 wrote:
Are you referring to compressing against the intake pressure instead of closing the intake valve? Like Mazda has messed around with?
Yes.

Pierce89

wuzak wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
Yes.
Interesting idea. I wonder how it works at 12000rpm? Maybe increased viscous effects at those speeds would make it more effective?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

gruntguru
gruntguru

ringo wrote:I think the media and car makers are using words in a way to make things look very impressive.
The Mercedes self sustaining efficiency is above 40%.
This is from my engine calculator:

ICE Brake thermal efficiency: 31.14%
BTE with KERS: 38.10%
BTE with MGUH ss: 39.45%
1. Ridiculous! Honda had 32.2% BTE 26 years ago.
2. Nonsense! No such thing as "BTE with KERS". "Kinetic Energy Recovery System" = recycled energy that was generated by the ICE, used in a BTE calculation, used to accelerate the car, recovered with regen' braking and used again.
3. MGUH energy is already included in the definition of ICE BTE. Perhaps you meant to say recip' section when you said ICE?
So these guys need to be clear if those efficiency numbers are for the power unit or the ICE. I say its for the Power unit.
Not really. You just need to get yourself up to speed with accepted definitions. There is no doubt that Mercedes claim for 40%+ is a continuous rating for the ICE (recip' plus turbine surplus). The mere fact that this engine has won awards and hailed as "arguably among the most thermally efficient gasoline powertrains ever produced, with a claimed thermal efficiency of greater than 40%." indicates that the thermal efficiency is better than the Prius 38.5% using the same method of assessment.

Furthermore Professor Weber's quote includes the words "better than that of a road going diesel". Last time I checked that means a lot better than 31.14% - or 38.10% - or even 39.45%
Secondly the prius sees its 38% by way of mimicking the atkinson cycle which is a very efficient cycle. These in cylinder tricks cannot be carried out with the F1 engines.
Why not?
here's another graph with some slight improvements:
http://s1010.photobucket.com/user/ducka ... 9.png.html
A very confusing graph. "Self sustaining" implies a continuous rating (no energy drawn from hybrid storage)
the lower revs can be ignored, as turbine inertia was not considered. more than likely the turbo would not be spooled. and if they were spooled by the mguh, then clearly efficiency numbers would still go down.
Turbine inertia is irrelevant to any BTE or "continuous" rating.
je suis charlie

GoranF1
GoranF1

Dont know if i get this right,but it sounds like Honda can not use tokens after 28.Feb. while all others can!
If true,first Honda is doomed and its highly unfair!

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 43588.html
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

gruntguru wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote: http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/rep ... rt-822.pdf
the combined power is always best around best bsfc
best bsfc is with -20" Hg on the engine used (probably -15" Hg on an engine with more liberal valve timing)

NACA 822 is based on running at pressure (loosely, 'boost') of 40" Hg Abs (about 1.35 bar Abs)
the supercharger power is rather low, around 3 % of output power
maybe gg will take NACAs word that running at true backpressure is good if the exhaust valve closure is suitable ?
raised exhaust pressure helps reduces blowdown losses (my story - and it features in eg Caterpillar's compound piston patent)
and improves efficiency of the turbine expansion phase (gg's story iirc)
I know I responded to your original post some time ago. I accept the findings published in NACA 822 without question but there are at least two issues that make me wary of extrapolating the numbers to a current F1 engine.

1. There is a huge difference in specific output between the NACA test engine and a current F1 engine.
Approx 15 bar vs 38 bar BMEP. i.e. about 2.5 times the BMEP.
Specific power is approx 25 kW/L for the test engine and 350 kW/L for the F1 i.e. about 14 times the specific output.
My point here is the thermal loading. At such high levels of specific power, the F1 engine requires scavenging during valve overlap to remove heat from combustion chamber components. Wave action will help a little but high levels of scavenge cooling will require a positive pressure differential (MAP/EBP).
2. The NACA engine is carburetted. Any scavenge will waste fuel and negatively impact the SFC. The paper records best SFC "varies only slightly from the minimum for a range of exhaust pressures from 5% to 45% above MAP". Clearly with such a wide range, the SFC is not particularly sensitive to EBP but at less than 5% (approaching positive DP) the engine is beginning to scavenge fuel out the exhaust and SFC suffers. Of course the current F1 engines are DI and scavenging without loss of fuel is possible.
it seems wrong to suggest the F1 engine needs scavenge cooling of the exhaust valve but the P&W doesn't

the specific power has very little to do with the situation
each P&W valve will be exposed to an exhaust stream heat equivalent to about 300 hp, each F1 valve to about 120 hp
yes the P&W valve is bigger, but the temperature behind the valve seat is much higher, air cooling needs metal to get hot
(look at the cylinder head temperature gauge permissible readings)
in the 30s aircraft engines were transformed by the sodium-cooled exhaust valve, used post WW2 in race motorcycles, later in F1
the max power bmep is of course about the same in both F1 and P&W engines

ie I don't think scavenge cooling is needed in F1 exhaust valves, as it wasn't apparently needed by P&W etc
it seems unwise to rule out possible BTE benefits of exhaust backpressure -dP (if that's a consequence of scavenge cooling)
which the NACA work seems to imply (to me at the moment anyway)
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 02 Jan 2015, 23:35, edited 2 times in total.

Facts Only
Facts Only

It's definitely been tested by one engine manufacturer, it wasn't used in 2014 though. I don't believe anyone else is using it either.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

ringo

Guru,

I dont care what efficiency honda had 26 years ago. Im telling you what i calculated. I dont have empirical data. Hondas efficiency was observed, mine was not. So i dont see why you are nitpicking 31.x % the point is that 3x low % id what the ice is. Its not 4x %.
You may not want to agree but the engine makers doe include the mguh power deliveres by kers in their bte. Regardless if its the moral thing to do or not. What you must understand is that the direct injection turbo engine is not giving you 42% bte. The fuel may not allow it much less the kind of compression ratios that would have to be used. The whole novelty of these power units is actually the mguh power that is included in the overall. As for the graph i dont think you have thought about what you have said pertaining to it.
For Sure!!